Cousin's Furniture mis-sold

Shelley181146
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Purchased a mechanical reclining 3 seater sofa last year from Cousin's Furniture Store on interest free credit. Repayments have been accurately made on time and in accordance with my agreement.

They also sold me an insurance plan to cover staining, mechanical failure of the motor etc, together with structural faults including excessive loss of resilience of seat cushion foam, broken buttons, broken zip operations and peeling of covering leather or broken stitching.It also covers for accidental damage.

Now, unbeknown to me the sofa seats, foot extentions and arm rests are filled with foam. However, the back of the seats are fibre filled and are not therefore covered by this policy. We were not given an explanation of it's fillings neither was the policy explained to me about the different fillings. We were not given the opportunity to have a choice of fillings either!

Now, you know what's coming - the sofa has seated dreadfully and wasn't even 16 months old when I reported this problem. The rear of the seats have seated so much so that we can feel the wooden frame in our lower back and as my husband has Osteoporosis this is extremely painful for him to have in the reclining position. To my understanding, this is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!

I contacted Cousins who said as it is over 12 months it is nothing to do with them. I then contacted the insurance and they have eventually sent out a technician who has replaced the foam in the seat and foot extended panel of the sofa but he couldn't do anything involving the back part and so went away.

I have since received a letter from the isurance company stating that fibre filled furniture is not covered and there is nothing more they can do.

I will be sending the finance company a letter advising that they are jointly liable for this problem, I will continue to make repayments but will advise them they are made under protest because I am paying for a sofa which is not fit for purpose but I would like your advice as to what else I might be able to do in this matter please?

The policy is still valid for another 4 years and don't think I can say it has been mis-sold. I think my problem is with the suppliers because they failed to inform me of the fillings or offer me an alternative but hope someone can guide me how to approach this please.

Thanks for looking in

Shelley

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shelley,

A sofa of this sort should be expected to last well and certainly the retailer's refusal to accept responsibility after just 12 months is wrong.

Have you put your concerns to them in writing, stating that it is unreasonable of them to deny responsibility beyond 12 months. Remind them of their obligations under SOGA and suggest that, unless they are willing to accept responsibility and work towards an acceptable resolution, you will make a formal complaint to the Furniture Ombudsman.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Apologies Slick & Surfer for delay in replying, we have just returned from a break away and relieved to be home tbh.

I had drafted a letter up to both the supplier and the finacne company before we went away but haven't posted it yet because I was hoping for my family of caggers input/opinion first.

I take onboard both your comments and ask how do I show that the problem was inherent?

The fact they failed to advise the interiors are different materials in different parts of the furniture shows deceit to it's customers, a problem recently shared on BBC1 Watchdog programme involving other furniture stores.

I will do some digging on my research of sofa's before possibly amending my drafted letters to them and see what response I get back.

Thank you both

:behindsofa:

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Hi Shelley,

Yes, the sagging problem was mentioned on a consumer programme the other day but I don't recall which.

See how your research goes and let us know.

We can then suggest how you can move this on.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I made contact with the insurance company to ask for a copy of the technicians report and after many attempts, this has finally arrived today. It quite clearly states that ALL FAULTS are a result of the Manufacturer. I am in the process of tweaking my letters to both Cousins and the finance company but I am having difficulty wording what it is I want as my outcome - more to the point, not sure that if I settle for a repair and this repeats further down the line, how will I stand getting a resolve to poor workmanship second time around? Can I insist on a different filling to match the rest? Are there caggers experienced furniture upholsterer's reading this maybe?

Would be interested in your comments please.

Hi Shelley,

If you want, put your draft letter here and I'll knock it into shape if needed.

Have you tried speaking to the Furniture Ombudsman. Maybe they could suggest if you have a chance of having the sofa replaced, or at least getting it repaired to an acceptable standard.

Hello Slick,

Thank you for coming to my aid once again.

I have attached drafted proposed letter to the finance company but I have yet to contact the Furniture Ombudsman (which Cousins are a full member of) Not sure how that impacts on the complaint to the Furniture Ombs but hopefully, I will find out tomorrow.

Hi Shelley,

It may help if we can see a copy of the Insurance Report.

Repairs have already been done by the technician to replace parts of the filling that were covered by the insurance that you bought. Have these repairs made a good improvement.

Are there still areas that need the filling replaced but the technician won't do them as they're not (insurance) covered.

If the problems have been identified as being attributable to the Manufacturer, I wonder if you should seek a replacement or refund.

Speak to the FO tomorrow and come back.

Hi Shelley,

It may help if we can see a copy of the Insurance Report.

Repairs have already been done by the technician to replace parts of the filling that were covered by the insurance that you bought. Have these repairs made a good improvement.Yes

Are there still areas that need the filling replaced but the technician won't do them as they're not (insurance) covered. Yes

If the problems have been identified as being attributable to the Manufacturer, I wonder if you should seek a replacement or refund. Will I be entitled to those options and will they take wear and tear into consideration and offer a less expensive alternative?

Speak to the FO tomorrow and come back.Will do

I have downloaded their claim form but think they will want me to write to Cousins first, whereas, upto now they have only verbally told me they're not liable after the first 12 months but I will ask the question tomorrow and report back.

Thank you Slick :)

Hi Shelley,

In an ideal world, I think the sofa should not have faired so badly in so short a time.

That's why I think you should at least look at the issue of a replacement or refund. If you don't try, you'll never know..........

Can I ask what the sofa cost roughly as it'll give an idea of quality expectations associated with cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Shelley,

In an ideal world, I think the sofa should not have faired so badly in so short a time.

That's why I think you should at least look at the issue of a replacement or refund. If you don't try, you'll never know..........

Can I ask what the sofa cost roughly as it'll give an idea of quality expectations associated with cost.

I remember typing a reply to this last week Slick but apologies, because I don't know what happened to it :(

The cost was £1004.

I have spoken to the Furniture Ombudsman and they are going to send out a claim form. Advised to prepare all supporting evidence including photographs.

I am with you on the request for replacement and I will try and secure the same filling all over, if possible?

It won't be resolved overnight but I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help (again), you are always coming to my rescue but it is appreciated :thumb:

Hi Shelley,

Ok, so at £1,004 it wasn't a cheapie and you have every reason to expect it to fair well over a "reasonable" period of time.

I'd certainly be looking for a replacement but, if they can refill it properly instead, perhaps that's a compromise you'd be happy with.

However, given YH's need for comfort, coupled with the fact that the report suggests the problems lie with the manufacturing process, I'd set my expectations high and go for a replacement. Perhaps, given the failings of this sofa, go for a different manufacturer or type with better attention paid to the cushions and padding.

• 1 month later...
Purchased a mechanical reclining 3 seater sofa last year from Cousin's Furniture Store on interest free credit. Repayments have been accurately made on time and in accordance with my agreement.

They also sold me an insurance plan to cover staining, mechanical failure of the motor etc, together with structural faults including excessive loss of resilience of seat cushion foam, broken buttons, broken zip operations and peeling of covering leather or broken stitching.It also covers for accidental damage.

Now, unbeknown to me the sofa seats, foot extentions and arm rests are filled with foam. However, the back of the seats are fibre filled and are not therefore covered by this policy. We were not given an explanation of it's fillings neither was the policy explained to me about the different fillings. We were not given the opportunity to have a choice of fillings either!

Now, you know what's coming - the sofa has seated dreadfully and wasn't even 16 months old when I reported this problem. The rear of the seats have seated so much so that we can feel the wooden frame in our lower back and as my husband has Osteoporosis this is extremely painful for him to have in the reclining position. To my understanding, this is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE!

I contacted Cousins who said as it is over 12 months it is nothing to do with them. I then contacted the insurance and they have eventually sent out a technician who has replaced the foam in the seat and foot extended panel of the sofa but he couldn't do anything involving the back part and so went away.

I have since received a letter from the isurance company stating that fibre filled furniture is not covered and there is nothing more they can do.

I will be sending the finance company a letter advising that they are jointly liable for this problem, I will continue to make repayments but will advise them they are made under protest because I am paying for a sofa which is not fit for purpose but I would like your advice as to what else I might be able to do in this matter please?

The policy is still valid for another 4 years and don't think I can say it has been mis-sold. I think my problem is with the suppliers because they failed to inform me of the fillings or offer me an alternative but hope someone can guide me how to approach this please.

Thanks for looking in

Shelley

Hello Shelly

I have a similar problem with cousins spent over £1000 cash (inheritance money) and my sofa is sagging and now the underneath seems to have given way this weekend so sloping forward. I am dreading Monday when i call them.

The cushions have lost shape I am extremely unhappy. I informed cousins about this within 3months of owning the

Sofa and they admitted manufacturing problem but as act of goodwill they would re fill but this would happen in the future.

I am devastated, took me along time to find a

Sofa and avoid other sofa stores cause Cousins Is a family run business. It's a disgrace.

Hope you get your problem resolved just wanted you to know your not alone x

Karen

Hello Shelly

I have a similar problem with cousins spent over £1000 cash (inheritance money) and my sofa is sagging and now the underneath seems to have given way this weekend so sloping forward. I am dreading Monday when i call them.

The cushions have lost shape I am extremely unhappy. I informed cousins about this within 3months of owning the

Sofa and they admitted manufacturing problem but as act of goodwill they would re fill but this would happen in the future.

Sofa and avoid other sofa stores cause Cousins Is a family run business. It's a disgrace.

Karen

Sounds like you have the dreaded hollow fibre' filled cushions. I have posted this a few time's as I think this may the case.

I'm guessing the seat cushions the back cushions and arms are filled with hollow fibers same sort of stuff pillows are filled with pumped with air so when you see them on show or in pictures the sofas look big and chunky but after time with use the air is slowly squeezed out and you end up with cushions that look like flat baggy pan cakes.

Sorry post meant for Shelley181146

Sounds like you have the dreaded hollow fibre' filled cushions. I have posted this a few time's as I think this may the case.

I'm guessing the seat cushions the back cushions and arms are filled with hollow fibers same sort of stuff pillows are filled with pumped with air so when you see them on show or in pictures the sofas look big and chunky but after time with use the air is slowly squeezed out and you end up with cushions that look like flat baggy pan cakes.

Hello Shelly

Karen

"my sofa is sagging and now the underneath seems to have given way"

Karen. Sounds like the platform has given way' the zig zag springs one or more have snapped or the clips holding them have come away from the frame. A common problem.