Council rent arrears - gone to bailiff (Whyte & Co)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a hand delivered letter today from Whyte & Co stating that I owed rent from the my last tenancy at a previous address (around £1000). I don't dispute the amount and I'd like to set up a repayment plan as I definitely can't afford to pay everything upfront.

Based on my passed dealings with bailiffs, I have a feeling that they will reject a repayment plan since I won't let them in in to do an inventory of my goods. (I'm pretty familiar with what bailiffs can and cant do as long as I don't let them in).

I also have a feeling that if I contact the council directly and try to negotiate a repayment plan, they'll tell me that I must deal with the bailiffs directly.

I'm going to try the council first, I just wondered if anybody had an opinion on the best way to deal with this...

Thanks in advance.

The Council cannot refuse your money. Tell them that you have no faith that the bailiffs will treat you either honestly or fairly and you will not deal with them but confirm that you do want to pay the amount off.

Just make sure that you don't leave any garden furniture or your car outside as the bailiff will levy or clamp to get their money. Do not open the door to them.

this will be classed as a sundry debt. there is no fees and no court order- and no financial benefit for the bailiff company. they should be more lenient than the time restrictions for council tax

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

This is not a common debt for a bailiff to recover and I am not too familiar with the regulations.

Suffice to say that there is no legal obligation to allow the bailiff into your property but you need to ensure that you do not have a car outside.

If you do not have a car then I always suggest writing ( or better still emailing AND writing) to advise the company that you will not allow a bailiff into your home and that you do not have a car that can be levied upon and that accordingly, you would like to make a payment proposal of £ xxx

DO NOT wait for a visit.......WRITE to the company.

PS: In your letter ask them to confirm that NO FEES have been applied to the account.