Can I request this?

Crapstone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3824 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I injured my middle finger, right hand, 3 weeks ago. I'm right handed. Turn away if you are squeamish please.

The pad is completely missing, along with the tip and bone at the end. The rest of the bone is cut in 2 along the length.

After 3 weeks of no improvement, an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and constant pain I'd prefer it to be amputated. It's not going to be of any use as the nerves are damaged and I'd much sooner have the wound closed and a hand that functions. I have asked but they seem to avoid the question and say to wait .. I don't want to wait and have a finger that is just bone covered with a bit of skin as they are sure to say it's a non-essential operation even if it's causing pain or distress.

I'm having dressings changes twice per week and can't look at it. It's not nice when the nurse cringes and my OH goes a bit white and his hand shakes more than my good one that's holding on to him. I'm not difficult, I don't cry or scream but each change takes 30 mins..with the nurse sweating buckets.

I smushed up a toe years ago and I have no feeling in that, other than horrible ones, so I really don't want that in a finger. My toe was squashed by a wall falling on it and my finger was in a battle with a door. The door won.

I just feel that the right thing to do is lose it and close it. Can I insist or make a formal request that it's done?

Edited by Crapstone

Its still very early to be thinking of amputation, Loosing your middle finger can cause problems with the hand because of the way the other fingers adapt when its lost. I believe the best advice i can give you is to go back to the surgeon and go through the pro and cons of amputation so that you can make an informed decision.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I doubt very much that any surgeon would amputate such a short while after a accident. Conservative measures would be first to be tried then radical options considered next. Do you have follow up? You might end up with a middle finger you can't feel but amputation can lead to other issues as mentioned above - you say you are right-handed. You may need to learn to write again which could be even more frustrating!

Disclaimer: Any advice given is solely my own. I advise you seek professional advice in the first instance.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a happy bunny!

After I first had the accident I was told that it would be referred to 'plastics'. I did see someone that was presumed to be from 'plastics' shortly after in the same hospital. They advised just dressing changes to be done at my GP.

After plodding along since I last posted here, with regular dressing changes, the nurse at my GP wasn't happy with the way it's healing..or not. They got the GP to look at it and other nurses and they think the same. It's still swollen, not healing correctly and they query that there could be other damage as it's bent oddly much lower down and not from just lack of use.

The GP looked at my notes and said they don't have anyone from plastics at the hospital I was treated at and I should been referred at the time to the hospital that specializes in it. The person who I saw in the hospital must have just been a general nurse and no appointment was made with the people I should have seen.

My GP has had to try to rush through an appointment to see them as soon as possible and I can't fault him having to call several times just to get through on the phone to the right dept.

I thought I was doing pretty well and had turned a corner with looking at it and the pain settling down a little. The nurse accidently caught it on Monday when cleaning it and since then it's become a lot more painful but without any signs of infection although the bone is questionably still exposed and since then I can't stand anyone to touch it.

I did ask about it just being removed and closed. Unlike before, none of the people I've seen today have dismissed it, or said anything other than it's not looking good. It's been almost 6 weeks and, apart from the pain, it's annoying that I still have to rely on other people as I still can't drive. On the brighter side I've discovered that I can draw and write with my left hand pretty well.:rockon:

I forgot to add that I'm now waiting for the hospital to call me to arrange something between now and Monday to be seen. Not looking forward to it being looked at again and messed with.

Write a list of questions before you see the "plastics". I.E if you do this what could happen or if you do that what will happen. Then go through the pro and cons of each procedure and make a decision based on what is right for you.

However, the surgeon may not be able to give you any choices if that is the case then ask for a explanation for this.

• Haha 1

Write a list of questions before you see the "plastics". I.E if you do this what could happen or if you do that what will happen. Then go through the pro and cons of each procedure and make a decision based on what is right for you.

However, the surgeon may not be able to give you any choices if that is the case then ask for a explanation for this.

They called and I have an appointment for Monday.

That's good advice Mastiff as it's always easy to forget and then kick yourself later for not asking. Thanks.. x

So much for any questions! It was scrubbed back to the raw tissue..very painfully and it did bring a few tears. I should have been seen by them weeks ago and more care taken by my GP and the initial hospital. For now it's hand therapy but they are doubtful if I'll get the use of it back after this long and the nerves are trapped in the scarring. Back again next week to see them.

Made me think how lucky I am after seeing a young girl there, that seemed as though she was a soldier. Terrible burns and the loss of her leg but still smiling. Made me feel such a wuss and that made me even more tearful. The poor Dr and nurse thought they were causing me huge amounts of pain but I was so choked I couldn't explain that it hurt, but I was crying more for what that poor girl has gone through and how far she still has to go...when I'm sat there with a dodgy finger!

Can't believe how many ignorant people were complaining and protesting to the reception staff for just an hours delay in appointment times. It didn't seem to matter to them that they had people rushed through from A&E for urgent treatment and the waiting was unavoidable. Some left after swearing and then came back insisting to be seen and I had glares and and abuse muttered when I got called before them. They seem blinkered to the fact that there are several depts. and oblivious to people that had major injuries that just sat quietly. Totally OT but I don't know how the staff keep so calm...or the other patients, particularly the MOD ones...I guess it's just one word.. DIGNITY.

• 1 month later...

Nothing much has happened apart from therapy. Still no further along and hand is still swollen despite several medications. Even my nail refuses to budge and is still bleeding underneath. Looks more like a hoof than a nail! If they'd have acted sooner I think at least I may have retained more mobility. Ok it was amputated at the pad and that's what they saw and looked for on the tip but in hindsight it was crushed much further than that. I should have stuck to my guns and told them to take it off as it's not improving other than going more numb now than feeling like 'shocks'.

• 1 month later...

The hospital. follow up appointments should be noted on your records and if an appointment isn't made that day, the doctors secretary should arrange.

It does no harm to chase them up though as sometimes it does happen accidentally.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Its happened to me a few times, especially if one department is referring you to another one for further investigations! I sometimes wonder if they have a lack of communication between departments or is it a money saving thing to not send out appointments!

What you have to remember is within the NHS medical system appointment referrals are down to the REFFERING doctor, so if you haven't heard within 3 weeks or so of it being mentioned call the hospital and find out.

Most hospitals now can text you appointment dates and times and don't send out letters as these are more likely to go astray somewhere, either waiting for an administrator to check the outsourced document, a docotor to sign it off, and then the vagaries of the postal system, let alone the hospitals own ability to 'forget' that you updated them with your change of details over a year or more ago'.

I wouldn't bother chasing up until the first full week in January as most hospitals won't have admin staff available.

It's been over a couple of months and I've heard nothing. The reception staff and the physio team were supposed to book a 6 week follow up with the consultant and refer me for physio closer to home. The only appointment I have is for the end of January at a pain clinic. Not having any therapy is the main thing and it looks as though it's a bit late in the day for anything to be done now. It was late when it was first scheduled as it was for a hand injury done back in August and it wasn't properly treated by the initial hospital I went to.

I've been doing what I can and exercising it but it's just got worse and, instead of it just being part of my finger that was injured, it's affecting all my hand and my finger is fusing and not wanting to move along with the ones beside it.. The nail never came off as they kept telling me it would and it still bleeds underneath it even now! The injury was an amputation of the pad of my finger and the end of the bone. It was pretty crushed and they didn't even put a hole in the nail to relieve any pressure. I didn't chase it up as I just felt like I wasn't being listened to and have already had to keep chasing every appointment I've had.

Just don't know what to do next. I can manage. I can drive but it's just awkward being my right hand and it's painful.

You need to chase it up AND get a full complaint in if these has happened a few times.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D