style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, i am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me in regards to RLP.

A few weeks ago, in a store i would rather not name, i was caught shoplifting by security. It was the first time i have ever even thought about something like this and i honestly have no idea what came over me, but i took a t-shirt and i realize how incredibly stupid it was. As i left the store i was stopped by security and they asked me to come into a room, where i immediately confessed and gave them the shirt back. They then made me sign a form, took my picture, told me i was banned from the store, and then let me go. The police were not called/involved [to my knowledge] I would also like to clarify that i am over 18. Today my parents opened the letter from RLP and read it and it said that i had caused a disruption to the store [it mentioned nothing about shoplifting] and that i was being charged something around £130 and if not i would be taken to court. My mother rang some phone number on the letter before telling me but they refused to speak to her. I lied and told them it was not me because i was scared and now they want to take me to the police station to fill out an identity theft form!

So i have a few questions:

1. will i have to pay this fine? will anything happen if i don't pay? will i be taken to court? also, when i was taken into the room, the security told me if i did not pay, bailiffs would come to my house. If i do not have to pay this fine, how can i explain this to my parents?

2. Will this come up on CRB checks/give me a criminal record? I really do not want a criminal record for something so incredibly stupid, i realise how stupid it was - i am an A grade student and i'm on my gap year and i'm currently looking for a small job and i'm also going to oxford university next year. I do not want this to affect that.

3. Will the police follow this up with me/come after me? I am really scared about this and i'm freaking out over it, i had a panic attack shortly after my mother told me because i was so scared, and i was too scared to go out today.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help, and please do not judge me because i honestly did not do it intentionally, i would never have done this in any other circumstances. I think it was because of all the stress i was under at the time [waiting for a level results to see if i would be accepted to oxford uni] combined with my depression/anxiety. I honestly would never have even considered anything like this otherwise.

Any advice on what to tell my parents would also be welcomed, there is no way i want to tell them i shoplifted as i will most likely be kicked out of the house. Thank you.

RLP can do nothing. They cant affect your credit record. They cant give you a criminal record. Whatever they demand you pay is NOT a fine in any way. It is a speculative invoice.

Just send them a one line letter stating "any liability to you or companies you represent is denied". Then file anything else you get into the bin.

DO NOT CONTACT THEM ON THE PHONE. The entire company is ran by a very shady woman who thinks the law doesnt apply to her. Have a read of the RLP forums. You'll soon see that she cant actually do ANYTHING apart from scream at you on the phone.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Nope. RLP dont record calls. Treat it as if it never happened. I'm concerned your mother is dealing with it to be honest. Especially if she was considering paying them. Paying them legitimises their entire [problem].

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

She is only dealing with it because i am not at home and she opened my mail and saw the letter. I told her not to do anything else until i got home but my stepdad rang them and told them it was not me and they said they would send an identity form - will this affect anything? as long as i don't fill out the form?

As renegade says:

Fill out nothing

Send them nothing

Dont talk to them on the phone

Ignore them. They cant do anything. They rely on scaring you into paying. They will lie and intimidate to get your money, thats all they are interested in. By not paying and not giving in to there idiots you are showing them that you wont be scared into paying something uou dont owe.

If you get any scary looking letters about going to court ignore them also, only the retailer can take you to court, as they got the shirt back and no police where called the issue is burried.

Ignore ignore ignore!

Just tell her you have got legal advice. Do not let her pay them or fall victim to their scare mongering.

Retail Loss Prevention- RLP

The retailer lost nothing, they got the merchandise back and

No police where involved. Trust us your safe, they will send a few scary looking letters but once they realise they are getting no where they will shove off!

They may get a DCA to handle this but in that event just send them a one liner saying no debt exists, and they will also bugger off. STAY OFF THE PHONE unless you can record all calls!

Be aware that they will send you multiple letters over the next 6 months with ever increasing threats. But thats all they are. threats. Jackie gets so desperate for you to pay, she even goes into multiple page letters and tries to spout pseudo-legal nonsense.

When she starts talking rubbish about 'pre-action protocols', or that cag is under criminal investigation, then you dont have long to go before she gives up.

Edited by renegadeimp

• 2 weeks later...

2. Will this come up on CRB checks/give me a criminal record? I really do not want a criminal record for something so incredibly stupid, i realise how stupid it was - i am an A grade student and i'm on my gap year and i'm currently looking for a small job and i'm also going to oxford university next year. I do not want this to affect that.

If the police are involved then it won't be a criminal record but might (on Home Office instructions ignoring the law and the advice of the police as well as the ICO) be unlawfully recorded as a "cleared up crime" on their intel or performance databases and then illegally be disclosed on CRB enhanced checks. So to hedge your bets you might consider putting in a subject access request to the local police station. Keep the result. That way you can be sure. If it's recorded there, it might be disclosed in future: so if the SAR comes back with anything you can come back here and report...