style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon all.

Just a quick run down of the problem I'm facing at the moment.

I have been going over various posts on the forum and just want a few things clarified before I go any further.

Firstly I will start by saying I am currently 2 weeks in arrears with Brighthouse.

At the moment, the total cost of my agreements (including OSC) comes to £31.45.

When I call up at the end of the month to make a payment, am I right to object to paying the OSC?

They will charge me a Late Payment charge of £4.50 per item (£18 per week).

As far as I am aware, the OSC renews each week a payment is made,

so being in arrears therefore means the OSC should NOT be included in the payment I make at the end of the month,

is that correct?

My next question is,

how do I go about cancelling OSC?

I do not have home insurance, Brighthouse have stated to me that unless I have home contents insurance to cover the items, I have no choice but to take the OSC. Is this correct?

Lastly, the late payment charges that are applicable to my 2 weeks arrears,

can they lawfully be justified by Brighthouse,

or can I contest this when I phone up?

Thank you for you help much in advance!

Cancel the insurances and reclaim them. Ignore the Late payment charge. It is unenforceable and fully reclaimable.

Do not call them unless you can record the call in full. Put everything in writing, so they cant try and wriggle out of it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you very much for your reply.

With writing to the store that will mean my account will fall further into arrears as they will obviously try and enforce the late charges and/or insurances. Is there a template of some sort I could use to send? What would happen with the arrears whilst I am objecting the late charges and insurance charges?

Thanks again

I have asked one of the Site team to look in on you.

We do have Brighthouse Reps on the forum, I would hope that one of them will look in on you. It will very likely be tomorrow now.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks

I will prepare a rough template to send to them and copy and paste on here to get any recommendations.

One more question, am I still able to keep the items (paying for them as normal of course) without the DLC too? I do not have home insurance.

It is my understanding that you don't have to have these insurances - although it would be in your interest to perhaps have some kind of Home Insurance which would cover all of your possessions and for a cost that is far cheaper than what you are paying.

As I am not absolutely certain, then wait until one of the other site team pops in later on today to confirm :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

there are two insurances with BH

DLC & OSC

by its name OSC is OPTIONALSERVICE COVER

if you've got it in writing that its compulsory go complain to the FOS

it can ALL be reclaimed and the interest it has cost you

DLC is Damage Liability Cover

its portrayed by BH managers/staff that you must have this if you've no home insurance yourself, that covers Hire Purchase Goods.

the truth of the matter here is there are NO RULES ANYWHERE

that state items on an HP agreement MUST be covered by ANY insurance products.

just because its in a retailers T&C's does NOT make it compulsory

if this were the case then the whole FCA PENALTY charges guidelines are wrong.

get them both back + the interest they have cost you month on month [compounded.]

as for the late fees, these are UNLAWFUL and can reclaimed too.

regards

dx

• Haha 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for replying so quickly, been a fantastic help.

Hopefully someone posts that can provide a proper template for me to use when sending a letter to their head office,

in the meantime when Brighthouse expect me to pay at the end of the month,

I will make it noted to them that I am unwilling to pay for the OSC, DLC and late charges in my current arrears.

Would a letter to the retail store in my city suffice to cancel the insurance?

Or does it have to be the head office?

Thanks again.

you don't need a template

write to the head office

demanding they remove and refund ALL the OSC and DLC payments & the interest they have cost you

as you were told they were COMPULSORY more than once by local managers/staff.

as well as removing any late PENALTY fees

and they

Guest Ann-Marie at BrightHouse

Good Morning Spud4life,

Thanks for making us aware of your concerns.

We advise all our customers that are experiencing financial difficulty and struggling to make payment, they should contact their store as soon as possible. There’s a lot we can do to help and we want to work with our customers to find a solution that fits with their circumstances.

Please email our Customer Relations mailbox (customer.relations@brighthouse.co.uk) with the main account holders details quoting reference F0673935 and i will be happy to look into this further for you.

Kind Regards

Ann-Marie

Web Relations Team

Thank you all again for your replies, they have been very helpful.

Ann-marie, I have been in touch and they have been kind enough to allow me a "break" in order for me to get to the end of the month. However, when I phone up to make a payment to clear the arrears I fear they will try and get me to pay the OSC and DLC which as stated in Brighthouse's terms and conditions, they "lapse" when the account is not paid on the due date. If it's the case that they will not accept a payment WITHOUT the OSC and DLC attached, then I am afraid I will not be making a payment.

I don't see it necessary to email your team as I am writing a letter to head office with my demands anyway, but thank you nonetheless ann-marie.

Dont phone them up to make a payment. Set up a standing order or make a payment through the site. With this companies reputation, you dont want to take ANY chances.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I won't be speaking to them face to face or over the phone, everything from now on will be through EMAIL or LETTER.

One question about reclaiming OSC, about a year and a half ago - 2 years ago I had 3 agreements with them, 1 of which was paid off in full and the other 2 handed back into the store. Am I able to claim back OSC on previous agreements or just current agreements?

spud

ALL agreements that had insurances.

Fantastic, I will quickly type up a letter using references from one of the sticky's on this site and post it up here for checking over.

I don't think I have copies of the previous agreements I had with BH, including the one which was paid off. Is it possible to get copies of them from BH Head Office?

spud

Only way to get the documents is to SAR them. It costs £10 and they have 40 days to provide all info they hold on you.

Fantastic, I am so thankful for the advice on here.

I will prepare a sar but I won't be able to send that until late next week, I will however draw up the letter demanding the removal of OSC and DLC, and start the process for reclaiming the money back from them. At the time when I had taken these agreements out, even though I have no home insurance, they would not let me take the goods without OSC and DLC, and would not let me get quotes for myself to cover the items. I presume in this case its a variation of mis-selling.

spud

It's blatant mis-selling.

• 1 month later...

It has been noticed that the BrightHouse reps have not been overly active despite the company's request to join CAGicon. The requirements were that they would be active in helping to resolve the issues raised by their customers and to provide updates on the threads to which they responded. To date I don't see much which would show that they are living up to expectations.

There is little point in having company reps on CAGicon if all they want to do is provide a customer service contact and hope that is the end of it. Reps on CAG should be actively posting to try and resolve issues and are given the chance to improve the reputation of their company.

As a result the account status of BrightHouse is being reviewed which may lead to their accounts being deactivated.

As a footnote, if anyone reading this thread has a copy of the new BrightHouse terms & conditions whereby the OSC and DLC is automatically included but with a huge rise in the APR, can you please PM me and I will give you an e-mail address to which you can send copies of the documents.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS