cash converters, help please

stevie_b
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i could do with some help and advice please.

I bought a freeview box and recorder from cash converters in Bangor.

The bow is second hand.

I the box does not work so i took it back to the shop the next day expecting an apology and exchange or refund

I have lost the receipt but do have a bank statement showing that i bought the box from them and the box still has all its price labels on.

they have refused a refund or to help in any way.

I told them the time of the purchase and the member of staff who sold it and even the till the transaction was done on, all to no avail.

when i queried if the goods were fit for purpose and that i had proof of purchase they said it was their policy to not give refunds or assistance without a receipt.

Go back and speak to a manager.

When I used to work In a large shop we also wouldn't accept bank statements or credit card receipts as a proof of purchase. Only the amount is specified on these not the specifics of the actual item purchased.

I'm not sure where they stand tho to be honest because of your statutory rights.

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will be along shortly :)

It never rains but it pours...

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke with everyone in the store the two sales assistants and the manager. I found it rather embarrassing being told that regardless of the law there policy was to not offer a refund or replacement without a receipt.

I am amazed that they are allowed to get away with treating people in this way. who enforces these laws that say you shouldn't sell faulty goods?

We've had our own problems with Cash Converters in the past. We bought a second hand play station from them. Got it home and it wasn't working. Took it back within an hour. They sent it off for testing and said we had caused the damage to it by altering it to play counterfeit games (chipping). We assured them we hadn't altered it. Store level they were having none if it! Had to involve head office to get a refund in the end!

Good luck. Try googling "cash converters complaints" and take it higher!

It never rains but it pours...

That would be lovely, however, when i tried contacting Bangor (or Gwynedd) trading standards i was surprised to learn that they were only accessible via the CAB and i have to write the letter to the retailer and then wait for the response , if i have no response or i am not happy with the response then the CAB will forward the issue to my local trading standards.

I am on holiday here so my local trading standards are in Lancashire!!!!!!

latter of complaint via gwynnded council site;

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/1019/UnsatisfactoryGoods.pdf

you can go to one of their surgeries at

Come to one of the surgeries:

Monday 10:00 – 13:00

Town Hall, Bangor

Tuesday 10:00 – 13:00

Canolfan Maenofferen, Blaenau Ffestiniog

Wednesday 10:00 – 13:00

Council Offices, Ffordd y Cob, Pwllheli

Thursday 10:00 – 13:00

Council Offices, Cae Penarlâg, Dolgellau

Friday 10:00 - 13:00

Gwynedd Council's Headquarters, Castle Street, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 1SE

Cash Converters are franchises so the store will be owned by an individual. That means that it is easy to serve legal notices on that person by just taking/posting them to that store with as much detail as you can garner- ie first name of owner if surname unknown.