Going Self Employed.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm on JSA and going to sign off on Monday and register as self employed, claiming in work credit for the first year as self employed checked I can do this.

https://www.gov.uk/in-work-credit/overview

I want to register my company name to protect it from being used by anyone else. Would I have to register as a limited company or would it still be ok to just register as self employed ? It's expensive going down the limited company route and I will do that once the company is making a good profit.

Any answers gratefully received.

Hiya, If you want to protect the name then yes Ltd company, you could register the name as a LTD compamy and leave it dormant and trade as self employed, And buy the domains for the web also, weather you plan to have a website matters not, again it protects the name being used by someone else on the web.

Always better to be limited then if anything goes wrong any claim would be against the business and will be limited liability otherwise if a sole proprietor any claims would be against you personally.

Always better to be limited then if anything goes wrong any claim would be against the business and will be limited liability otherwise if a sole proprietor any claims would be against you personally.

Sorry conniff i have to disagree with this, of course its better to be LTD if it is a substantial amount of money involved but if it is a start up on a small budget then a LTD company is not always required.

Even now if you are a LTD company, you go to your bank for a business loan, i bet 95% of the time they want your house/some other asset/s as security, ltd company or not.

And for the name protection thing, being a Ltd company does not protect this as such, which is why getting the web domains are important.