Unauthorized Deductions from Credit Union

l1t1gat1on
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi welcome to CAG,

Are the payments to a loan account or savings?

You should take this up with the CU really.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

had already informed them but still the deductions are taking place. They had a offer where u get instant loan. As far as i know with banks or cellphone providers they take fixed amount of payments but this credit union is taking a lot more than i signed on paper or agreed at any stage via phone, letter or online as never made such request. When i contacted they said it goes to the savings. I said i never agreed to such amount being deducted either on agreement or phone nor requested such amounts to be sent to my savings.

Which credit union? I would get a letter to the bank and block payments until its sorted.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

We have someone on the forum who has actually worked for a CU , so will ask him to look in on you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CUs usually like the member to save a small amount along with their repayments so that they can build up equity, this helps towards securing any further borrowing which is usually a multiple of the sum on deposit, so the more you save the more you can borrow in the future.

However if you do not want to save I am sure they will just take your loan repayment and reduce your outstanding balance accordingly, either way I am sure that your money is perfectly safe.

As said if a continual payment authority is being used and you are unsure the amount being taken is correct. I would tell them that it is being cancelled, you can also do this by contacting your bank, then start a standing order for the payment amount only( without any savings). But you will have to let them know that this is what you are doing.

The credits to your savings and your loan repayments should be itmeised seperately on you statement/passbook

• Haha 1

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I am not concerned about the money going out as any deductions will either go my loan payment and/or rest will go to savings. But what am concerned about is unprofessional dealings. It feels like dealing with someone who cannot keep his/her commitments. This is just one of the case in which they make dealings in a untrustworthy manner. The other ones am not concentrating at the moment in the post.

Even though the money goes to savings, I never made such agreement. A penny decrease in my available cash -funds can affect a range of payments/expenses from large amount of rent to small payment of food bill in a bar. When i signed the agreement, I know and plan my future expenses/budgets/other financial commitments around that agreement. I know lets say £5 goes towards savings and £35 towards loan repayment = £40 total. When they take more than on agreement lets say £90 total{regardless of savings}, less gets deposited in my day to day bank account. It could lead to unplanned overdraft, failed direct debits etc due to insufficient funds. The penalties issued by bank will not be paid by credit union but by me. They take payments directly from my salary and when contacted regarding sudden increase in deductions their response is it just goes to your savings.

Already was contacted the credit union by phone and contacted them online but no avail when I inform about such amounts being deducted which were out of agreement and get the same answer.

Already contacted financial-ombudsman.org.uk to discuss initial steps and will be contacting my HR/ Payrolls to suspend such payments though very rare chance it will happen.

Edited by l1t1gat1on

I am not concerned about the money going out as any deductions will either go my loan payment and/or rest will go to savings. But what am concerned about is unprofessional dealings. It feels like dealing with someone who cannot keep his/her commitments. This is just one of the case in which they make dealings in a untrustworthy manner. The other ones am not concentrating at the moment in the post.

Even though the money goes to savings, I never made such agreement. A penny decrease in my available cash -funds can affect a range of payments/expenses from large amount of rent to small payment of food bill in a bar. When i signed the agreement, I know and plan my future expenses/budgets/other financial commitments around that agreement. I know lets say £5 goes towards savings and £35 towards loan repayment = £40 total. When they take more than on agreement lets say £90 total{regardless of savings}, less gets deposited in my day to day bank account. It could lead to unplanned overdraft, failed direct debits etc due to insufficient funds. The penalties issued by bank will not be paid by credit union but by me. They take payments directly from my salary and when contacted regarding sudden increase in deductions their response is it just goes to your savings.

Already was contacted the credit union by phone and contacted them online but no avail when I inform about such amounts being deducted which were out of agreement and get the same answer.

Already contacted financial-ombudsman.org.uk to discuss initial steps and will be contacting my HR/ Payrolls to suspend such payments though very rare chance it will happen.

I cannot really comment on your situation without being aware of all the facts, but it should be a priority that no payments taken, put you in financial hardship.

When you say that they are in agreement and to no avail , what exactly do they say ?

In general

If you have a problem with the way your CU is being run, attend the next meeting and make your complaint to the committee.

Or ring one of the committee members/ secretary and ask him to make your point for you.

This is not a bank, this is run by its members, so we are not talking "them and us " situation here(or we should not be).

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

i think its like selling insurance and thats how they give loans and try to achieve saving deposit targets.

Sorry I missed this, no it is nothing like selling insurance, credit unions are not for profit organisations, they do not have "targets" any money they make go right back to the members.

There are no directors getting performance bonuses in fact the directors don't get paid at all.

I know its difficult for me to communicate with the guy am speaking over phone. I asked why the extra sum was deducted , i get the dumb answer it goes to your savings. I explained that i signed the agreement and the figure on agreement is what u should take. but again same dumb answer. so i asked can i withdraw that amount or you should refund the extra sum deducted they say no as 1/3 has to stay and read the terms and condition.

Please note they are right i cant withdraw the saving as 1/3rd should remain. But that 1/3rd amount is now made up of illegally extra amount deductions which should not been deducted at first place. What they are doing is illegally deduct and put that money into 1/3 no touch pot.

Even on email i asked whats up with the extra amount -generic reply came stating this much goes to savings and this much to loan repayment.

i know the 1/3 rule but my loan was given during offer and instant that didn't even require savings eligibility i.e. 2x or 3x the savings amount for a loan to be approved. It was instant and being a new member. As per agreement they should take fixed amount of loan repayment and savings amounts as agreed.

Instead they are taking the loan repayment but a different savings deduction figure which is greater than agreed.

that's why i said they must have some savings deposit targets as they are forcibly making deductions but regardless its not part of this post discussion anyway.

Edited by l1t1gat1on

I know its difficult for me to communicate with the guy am speaking over phone. I asked why the extra sum was deducted , i get the dumb answer it goes to your savings. I explained that i signed the agreement and the figure on agreement is what u should take. but again same dumb answer. so i asked can i withdraw that amount or you should refund the extra sum deducted they say no as 1/3 has to stay and read the terms and condition.

Please note they are right i cant withdraw the saving as 1/3rd should remain. But that 1/3rd amount is now made up of illegally extra amount deductions which should not been deducted at first place. What they are doing is illegally deduct and put that money into 1/3 no touch pot.

Even on email i asked whats up with the extra amount -generic reply came stating this much goes to savings and this much to loan repayment.

i know the 1/3 rule but my loan was given during offer and instant that didn't even require savings eligibility i.e. 2x or 3x the savings amount for a loan to be approved. It was instant and being a new member. As per agreement they should take fixed amount of loan repayment and savings amounts as agreed.

Instead they are taking the loan repayment but a different savings deduction figure which is greater than agreed.

that's why i said they must have some savings deposit targets as they are forcibly making deductions but regardless its not part of this post discussion anyway.

Its sounds like someone has there wires crossed, you need to bypass the local agent and contact the loan officer, I notice that there is a web page with all the address details, see if you can get the details off your contact first if not you will have to go over his head.

Irrespective of what it may or not say on your agreement, the fact is that this arrangement is causing you financial difficulties, they should not be taking money out of your account that you cannot afford.

If all else fails go to one of the directors, try not to get worked up or threaten keep calm and just state your case.

Come back on here and let us know how you get on.

• Haha 1