DLA back dating

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Around 4-5 months ago,my youngest brother started losing his mobility, and more recently, he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.Believe it or not, but the Department for Work and Pensions have deemed him fit for work even though his fingers are bent, he can't stand up and walk without falling down, he has to use a rollator for balance and the ability to walk, his speech is slurred, he can't even do a shirt button up or pull a pair of socks on.He is in constant need of help and gets 2 carers go in the morning to get him washed and dressed, and 2 at night to get him ready for bed.He had someone from DSS visit him yesterday and he was told that he will be getting disability living allowance, and carers allowance.However,he was told that it will not be back dated as this is a new claim.I think that is all wrong.He should be getting it back dated to when he was diagnosed with MND, at least, if not to when he first went for tests.........Can anyone enlighten me as to wether or not it should be back dated, and any links/laws governing this?.Many thanks for any help in advance.

To claim, you'd need to have the needs for at least 3 months and expect it to last for at least another 6. Whilst a diagnosis is irrelevant, it's helpful and it is (or was, due to PIP) to claim without a diagnosis and just state the symptoms.

Many thanks for the input members.My brother was having trouble standing and keeping his balance back in april.He then started shaking, and it was getting worse as the days went on.he had various scans to check for various possible illnesses.He submitted a claim, but after looking at his details and without a diagnosis, the DWP refused his claim.It was around mid- to late June when his final scan showed that he has Motor Neurone Disease.He then submitted another claim and someone from the DWP came to visit my brother.He saw his inability to do virtually anything and said his claim would be successful.What a pity they don't take note when doctors, neurologists, etc confirm there is an illness, even though they don't know for certain what it is, as they need to do more tests to eradicate all other possible illnesses and get the correct diagnosis.Sadly,my brother has gone downhill so quickly.His life expectancy is 3-5 years,but he doesn;t think he will last throughout the year.