JD Williams demanding money that I don't owe!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here’s a bizarre situation!

I received a ‘Marisota’ catalogue which included an order form. There were two offers printed on the form ... “a free weekend bag” and, more importantly, “20% off your first order”. I decided to order two pairs of jeans @ £16 each.

Because I had no intention of entering into a credit agreement with this mail order company, I enclosed a cheque (payment in full) with my order form, and sent them off in the envelope provided ... this was on the 3rd June 2013.

The cheque amount was for £29.59. This sum was calculated as follows: Price of jeans = £32, but with 20% (-£6.40) deducted as it was my 1st order = £25.60; plus post and packing @ £ 3.99; TOTAL = £29.59

My bank statement shows that the cheque for £29.59 was cashed on the 10th June 2013.

The two pairs of jeans duly arrived ... but there was no sign of the “free weekend bag”, so I contacted ‘Marisota’ (aka JD Williams) via email to ask where it was. The reply I received was evasive, so I ‘phoned their customer service department to complain. The member of staff I spoke to arranged for a bag to be despatched to me, and I received it within a few days.

Naturally I assumed that was the end of the matter ... I’d paid for the items; I'd received the items; and I'd received the free gift.

However, a month later (11th July 2013) I received an email informing me that I owed £34.99. I immediately ‘phoned the ‘customer service’ department and explained that I didn’t owe anything at all ... and in fact I had never owed them £34.99.

The person I spoke to said that there had been “an accident” with my account. She assured me that “the accident” would be remedied. I asked for written confirmation that my account was clear. She was reluctant to provide written confirmation, but she said that the next ‘account statement’ that I received would show that there was no outstanding balance.

Annoyingly I received the ‘account statement’ this morning which indicates that I still allegedly owe £34.99! :mad2:

So I now have the hassle of trying to sort this out ... but in the meantime please could anyone tell me whether there are any relevant Laws, Acts etc that I could cite in my communications with Marisota/JD Williams, which might add more ‘weight’ to them?

A short, sharp letter to their Head/Registered office under the heading of Official Complaint should do the trick.

Give them 14 days to resolve the "accident" or you will be making a complaint to the OFT and the Financial Ombudsman.

Oh, and don't get involved in any more telephone conversations with them, unless you are able to record the calls.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well unfortunately the letter to HQ produced a very weird response!

I received an explanation of what had gone wrong (aka "the accident"). I was informed that the error had been rectified ... and I was told that a 3rd pair of jeans would be delivered to me "free of charge" as a "gesture of goodwill".

Naturally I was delighted.

Until I received an invoice for £20.99 ... the price of the "free" jeans plus a p&p charge!