Private arrangement - when does it end.

winston73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I have a private arrangement with my ex to pay maintenence for my daughter who is 17 and enrolled at college this September. This arrangement has been in place since, well, the start so to speak, some 15 years and have been informed - told - by my ex that i have to keep paying until she is 19.

Is my ex right.....?

Seeing as there are no CSA involved and its a private arrangement, do i still have to follow their rules...?

Thanks.

If it's a private arrangement you can do what you like, but remember that your ex can go to the CSA if she's not happy with what you pay.

As a general rule, the CSA would be involved until Child Benefit stops for your daughter. This would generally be the September after she leaves school, and she could be 19 by that time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

So it all depends on weather my ex is on some sort of benefit ?

That's when the CSA get involved.... is that right ?

Not really, no. Child Benefit is payable to the parent or guardian of all children - it isn't means tested in any way. It's just used as a test to determine who is or is not a dependent child.

The CSA will get involved if your ex asks them to, it has nothing to do with whether or not she claims benefits. That has changed in the last decade or so.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If she gets the CSA involved then yes, they would work out payments based on 15% of your net monthly income for one child.

Your daughter going to college may affect things - if she is over 18 and attending a college for an HND/HNC or degree level course then your liability to pay maintenance ends when Child Benefit ceases to be payable.

• 5 months later...

Hi,just to let everyone in on this ,csa no longer exists ,it is now cms as of 25Nov 2013.you do not have to pay ANY maintence if you have shared care 50/50 ,make sure you have proof of this they will ask.if you have a private arrangement, any new claim will be dealt with child maintenance services. child maintenance options phone number 08009880988.

Another good site is netmums very good forums.hope this helps