American Airlines upgrade charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Some advice needed please...

I recently flew to NYC with American Airlines and decided to upgrade my economy seat, for £31.60, on the basis that this particular seat had a 'premium charge' against it. The great thing, or so I thought, was that the seat next to me which to be occupied by my wife, didn't have any upgrade cost associated, so overall this was perceived a good deal; one of us would have extra leg room, upgraded entertainment, great view etc.

In fact, the seat was directly over the middle of the wing (row 21), had a full row of seats in front, no percieved benefit whatsoever.

When I challenged the cabin crew they shrugged their shoulders and AA have this morning sent me an email of complete jibberish, basically stating that there won't always be a value attached to an upgrade cost and, would you believe, suggested that 'some travellers just like certain seats which they're willing to pay for'.

Surely this is misrepresentation, but I can't any official body to complain to, who would uphold any form of formal complaint.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Robmana

Hi All,

Some advice needed please...

I recently flew to NYC with American Airlines and decided to upgrade my economy seat, for £31.60, on the basis that this particular seat had a 'premium charge' against it. The great thing, or so I thought, was that the seat next to me which to be occupied by my wife, didn't have any upgrade cost associated, so overall this was perceived a good deal; one of us would have extra leg room, upgraded entertainment, great view etc.

In fact, the seat was directly over the middle of the wing (row 21), had a full row of seats in front, no percieved benefit whatsoever.

When I challenged the cabin crew they shrugged their shoulders and AA have this morning sent me an email of complete jibberish, basically stating that there won't always be a value attached to an upgrade cost and, would you believe, suggested that 'some travellers just like certain seats which they're willing to pay for'.

Surely this is misrepresentation, but I can't any official body to complain to, who would uphold any form of formal complaint.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Robmana

"Surely this is misrepresentation" ... Why is it misrepresentation? What did they represent that was untrue?

Did they describe the seat as "extra leg room, upgraded entertainment, great view"?

What plane / config was it?

For example : row 21 being "mid wing" might mean it was a 777-200

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_A.php

When you are choosing a seat / deciding if you want to pay for a particular seat, seat guru is great. It can even help if you don't know what config they use for that route : it'll tell you the most likely options. In combination with the "seat choice map" shown when choosing your seat : sorted! (As long as they don't substitute a differential / config on the day!)

The plane was a 777-ER300. I'm not sure what relevance that has? if the seat was advertised as 'premium' and attracted an upgrade cost, surely there should have been a benefit for the extra cost, otherwise it would be a simple case of just choosing a seat. I hadn't paid to pick my seat, I had paid for an 'upgrade' to a premium seat.

Misrepresentation....

The advertising and selling of a product or service, which 'attracts' additional cost with no derived value or benefit.

The benefit American Airlines described to you afterwards was "paying to be in that particular seat", as, apparently, some people desire that.

It is clear you don't consider that a benefit they should charge for, but that they do. This may turn out to be a "mismatch of expectations" rather than misrepresentation.

Did either you or they stipulate as part of the upgrade contract (or orherwise describe) what they considered to be the benefit being supplied?.

The plane was a 777-ER300. I'm not sure what relevance that has?

The relevance is that from

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_777-300_ER.php

People can see what row you are talking about, and what seat guru has to say about it.

Surely it is of similar relevance to, for example, your description of : "In fact, the seat was directly over the middle of the wing (row 21), had a full row of seats in front, no percieved benefit whatsoever." ?

From the "tone" of your reply are you looking for opinions? Or "opinions, provided they agree with Robmana"?

If the seat was advertised as 'premium' and attracted an upgrade cost, surely there should have been a benefit for the extra cost, otherwise it would be a simple case of just choosing a seat. I hadn't paid to pick my seat, I had paid for an 'upgrade' to a premium seat.

AA seem to have said in their reply they thought you were paying to choose a seat, you seem to feel you were paying for an "upgrade" or "premium seat".

"Cabin extra" seats would have been in row 16-19.

Was the charge listed as "preferred seat", "main cabin extra" or some other descriptor?

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom_services_charges.jsp#additionalPandS

Edited to add : alternative "benefit" : toward the front of economy, so getting off earlier than those further back, giving less queue at Immigration.

AA may perceive that as a saleable benefit

(Easyjet charge a premium for "upfront" seats, for example)

Edited by BazzaS