i need advice about my actions after a driving incident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was driving on a country road when my drivers side tyre burst. All my tyres were in good condition.

After a violent swerve along the hedge, it was too dangerous to stop on the narrow winding road so I drove on for half a mile, then changed the tyre. the original tyre was completely stripped and the wheel damaged. there was major damage to the wheel hub and the garage have just told me the supension is damaged too

The insurance company are implying that the tyre was illegally worn and i am very concerned that they will not pay but the damage to the tyre was due to driving too somewhere safe to change it.

did i do wrong?

I was driving on a country road when my drivers side tyre burst. All my tyres were in good condition.

After a violent swerve along the hedge, it was too dangerous to stop on the narrow winding road so I drove on for half a mile, then changed the tyre. the original tyre was completely stripped and the wheel damaged. there was major damage to the wheel hub and the garage have just told me the supension is damaged too

The insurance company are implying that the tyre was illegally worn and i am very concerned that they will not pay but the damage to the tyre was due to driving too somewhere safe to change it.

did i do wrong?

Why was it safer to drive on a wheel (rather than tyre) for half a mile?.

If the road was narrow & winding then other drivers should be driving at a speed appropriate to be able to stop if the road is obstructed. A 'warning triangle' would also give warning for traffic (at least for one direction of travel).

I'm not saying stop immediately if you had just got round a blind bend, but you drove on for long enough to damage both the wheel and suspension.

Why would a tyre in good condition "burst" / blow-out (rather than just puncture) at the low speed a sensible driver would be travelling on a narrow winding road? Are you sure that even if it wasn't tread worn that it hadn't had side-wall damage (had anyone 'kerbed' it?)

Edited by BazzaS