Newham Council issued ILLEGAL parking tickets after using unathorised cameras!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I posted this same thread on the Parking section this morning. Below I have provided a brief outline of the BBC news article ( you will need to open the link to read the full article).

As you will see, Newham Council are admitting that for the past 2 years they have been using cameras to enforce parking contravention without the correct certification. Not surprisingly they have agreed to “write off” all tickets that are at present unpaid but they are refusing to repay anyone who has previously paid.

As anyone reading this forum will know ,when a bailiff is instructed the cost of an unpaid parking ticket can escalate to around £500-£750 and many times; cars have been removed to the pound and even sold by bailiff companies. There can be no doubt than anyone subject to bailiff enforcement over the past 2 years by a company enforcing a Newham Council parking ticket ought to be refunded.

I am sure that there will be more to report on this in the next few weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22993060

Parking tickets were illegally issued by a dozen cameras over at least two years, a London council has admitted - but it refuses to refund fined drivers.

Local authorities are only allowed to use cameras authorised by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA).

But a Newham Council internal report, obtained by the BBC, shows between 2011 and 2013 it issued 6,840 tickets from unauthorised cameras - making £350,000.

The council says previous cases show it does not need to repay drivers.

By law, only camera models that have been specifically authorised by the VCA can be used by councils.

Otherwise authorities might use cameras that are not of a high enough calibre to be relied upon for evidence.

But Newham Council was using cameras that did not have approval.

When the problem came to light in February 2013, it commissioned accountancy firm Pricewaterhouse Coopers to carry out an audit of how many unlawful tickets it had issued

A "little birdie" has told em that Newham were aware in 2009 that these cameras did not have the correct certification !!!

There are a few "interesting" interviews taking place today with the media about this disgraceful scandal.

When will the legal system recognise these actions as being illegal enough that those responsible face prosecution ? There has been recent talk of Bankers facing jail, so I don't see why Civil Servants should not face such a sanction themselves. If they don't stay within the law, it is not a mistake and could be seen as a type of fraud.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

How many cars were taken and sold by bailiffs for one of these fines, Newham council could find themselves with a very large bill if someone lost their livelihood due to the car being seized and sold. That is the real reason they are refusing refunds, they cannot afford to do so.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

How many cars were taken and sold by bailiffs for one of these fines, Newham council could find themselves with a very large bill if someone lost their livelihood due to the car being seized and sold. That is the real reason they are refusing refunds, they cannot afford to do so.

I would think that the phone lines to the Audit Commission are VERY busy today.

This will NOT be swept under the carpet !!!