Has anyone been to a DLA tribunal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm just looking to see if anyone has been to a DLA tribunal and if they could let me know what to expect - I have a date next week on behalf of my 5 year old son and have no idea what I am likely to face.

The DWP made a catalogue of errors in deciding my sons case - am I correct in thinking that will all be disregarded and it's just basically a "my say vs their say" on my sons medical probelms?

Any help would be greatfully received.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andie,

I've been to a DLA tribunal for myself. the whole process was very stressful as it took 15 month and going in front of a tribunal to get what I should have provided in the first place. the panel is made up of 3 individual's. a representative from DWP, a Dr and a tribunal judge. the judge conducts the actual hearing and the other two also get a chance to add a few questions. majority of the talking in done between you and the judge. I took my dad with me for support ad he is my full time carer which helped. the judge I got was very empathetic to my situation. the questions are based around the time of application however so just bare that in mind. if you have any medical supporting evidence to want them to consider at the tribunal u can submit it directly to them but also take 4 copies of whatever u submit. eventhough I had submitted some additional supporting evidence the tribunal did not have a copy. so I gave them copies on the day.

just explain in as much detail as u can your son's case. it is your oppourtunity to ensure the tribunal are given all the facts about your son's condition.

Good Luck

Hi Andie,

I've been to a DLA tribunal for myself. the whole process was very stressful as it took 15 month and going in front of a tribunal to get what I should have provided in the first place. the panel is made up of 3 individual's. a representative from DWP, a Dr and a tribunal judge. the judge conducts the actual hearing and the other two also get a chance to add a few questions. majority of the talking in done between you and the judge. I took my dad with me for support ad he is my full time carer which helped. the judge I got was very empathetic to my situation. the questions are based around the time of application however so just bare that in mind. if you have any medical supporting evidence to want them to consider at the tribunal u can submit it directly to them but also take 4 copies of whatever u submit. eventhough I had submitted some additional supporting evidence the tribunal did not have a copy. so I gave them copies on the day.

just explain in as much detail as u can your son's case. it is your oppourtunity to ensure the tribunal are given all the facts about your son's condition.

Good Luck

In many cases a decision has already been arrived at before you set foot in the room!

To get to that stage means that the claim form wasn't convincing enough and that what evidence that had been sent in did not prove on the balance of probability that the care needs/mobility problems actually exist.

If that is all the Tribunal have to hand, then yes they will probably go with what the DWP decided in the first place.

To get to that stage means that the claim form wasn't convincing enough and that what evidence that had been sent in did not prove on the balance of probability that the care needs/mobility problems actually exist.

Obviously, nothing to do with the fact that some of the assessors are clueless about certain disabilities - especially rare ones or multiple disabilities.

Obviously, nothing to do with the fact that some of the assessors are clueless about certain disabilities - especially rare ones or multiple disabilities.

Or fluctuating conditions such as ME/fibromyalgia and some have limited knowledge of how certain mental health issues really affect people.

For a start the DWP Decision Makers don't have the foggiest about anything medical. They ask for advice from ATOS as to what care needs/mobility problems are likely to arise. this is then compared to the independent medical evidence that you supplied, to the report that your GP had given to them and to how well the claim form was completed explaining in great detail about your problems, why they happen, what happens and what you do about it.

To be honest the strength of the claim form and the GP report is normally the be all and end all in any DLA claim. My GP wrote in the report that they asked for that my mobility was 'zero', and that I required constant care throughout the day, every day of every week.

I received an immediate response from the DWP again - HRM & MRC indefinite. Now my GP knows how the system works and is more than happy to write me off as being a complete cabbage where the DWP are concerned.

Unfortunately most cases fail due to a poorly completed claim form and a report from the GP that says that either they don't know, they presume that you are OK or that there is nothing on their records to say that you have not been reporting serious disabilities for months if not years.

I disagree. My GP (I wrote this on my claim form too) wrote that I have a very common side effect of one of the disabilities I have. Atos (who have never met me) turned around and said there's no such issue. Funny how almost everyone I know with that diagnosis and any literature on that condition, backs up what I said.

I disagree. My GP (I wrote this on my claim form too) wrote that I have a very common side effect of one of the disabilities I have. Atos (who have never met me) turned around and said there's no such issue. Funny how almost everyone I know with that diagnosis and any literature on that condition, backs up what I said.

The GP should not describe a side effect. He/she should simply answer the questions on the report form. Can they self care - No, what mobility problems are there - totally immobile, will it deteriorate - considerably daily, prognosis - poor. The GP should not offer any information that will give the opinion that you are better then you are. It should be black and white.

Likewise for my wife's Attendance Allowance claim, the GP did a fantastic negative report which was backed up with a report from the OT who had already met her, but then telephoned me to ask what she should put on the form - I know my wife better than anyone else. She was awarded the highest day and night time element.

• 1 month later...
I'm just looking to see if anyone has been to a DLA tribunal and if they could let me know what to expect - I have a date next week on behalf of my 5 year old son and have no idea what I am likely to face.

The DWP made a catalogue of errors in deciding my sons case - am I correct in thinking that will all be disregarded and it's just basically a "my say vs their say" on my sons medical probelms?

Any help would be greatfully received.

Hi,

How did you get on with this as I have just had a date set for a DLA tribunal on behalf of my 12 year old