Assessment centre advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On a fixed term contract for a particular post would it be considered discriminatory to put that person through an assessment centre for a permanent post when they had already been assessed for the fixed term post. This has happened to me. I am currently in a post and have no capability issues, in fact the opposite. I have been in post 16 months and have applied for a permanent post exactly as I am doing now. I was asked to attend an assessment centre which I did not pass. Surely this is saying that I have been formally assessed as not having the skills and capabilities to undertake the role I am in. I understand if it was a job of. Higher grade or the same grade, but different role. Is this indirect discrimination, as essentially as a current employee I have been put through a formal process which a permanent member of staff old not be.

Thanks

Hello

Logically, a permanent member of staff is unlikely to be in a position where they need to apply for their own jobs, so that isn't likely to be a comparative scenario!

You have the right not to be treated less favourably due to your fixed term status - so the company must advertise the vacancy and offer you the opportunity to apply. If you failed the assessment, that will be the reason they didn't offer you the post - unless you can prove you should have passed, and they purposely failed you due to your fixed term status alone - which could be tricky.

• Haha 1

Hello

Logically, a permanent member of staff is unlikely to be in a position where they need to apply for their own jobs, so that isn't likely to be a comparative scenario!

You have the right not to be treated less favourably due to your fixed term status - so the company must advertise the vacancy and offer you the opportunity to apply. If you failed the assessment, that will be the reason they didn't offer you the post - unless you can prove you should have passed, and they purposely failed you due to your fixed term status alone - which could be tricky.

Hi I Becky

I agree with you in respect of the permanent member of staff and tale your point about likelihood. However I am querying whether a member of staff on a fixed term contract who has been through an assessment centre and competitive interview process for their role should be subjected to it again. I make the point only in respect of assessment which is to formally assess the candidates skill, capabilities and suitability for the role which is entirely appropriate if the role is different to the one you are already doing or at a different scale. The problem I have is that it is a capability assessment in addition to the formal one all staff have on a regular basis whether perm or temp. I think it is unfair and a detriment to temp staff. In respect of comparators, perm staff in a redundancy would not be asked to undertake an assessment centre, but just be ring fenced for competitive interview, so a different process.

I am not challenging the issue of ft contract, but the inequalities, unfairness and the implications of formal assessment of a post holder who is deemed incapable at assessment, but still left in post as though nothing has changed.

There are issues with the process, but for another post!

May not be fair but it sure ain't illegal. Not always the same thing.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I suppose you could raise a grievance if you think you have been treated less favourably, but my concern would be that you would struggle evidentially to find an appropriate comparative employee. I take your point though. Might be worth an email to ask why you were treated differently? Keep it polite though - you don't want to give them any excuse to let you go!