style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My assured shorthold tenancy was entered into on the 5th July 2012 and I was of the opinion that this automatically expires on the 5th July 2013and therefore there is no need to provide notice to our landlord that we would be moving out on that date. We have found a new flat and intend to move in in early july, however when I phoned the rental agency he informed me that we need to give me 2 months notice? how can this be when there is nothing in the contract stating this and we have a section 21 letter from the landlord (sent to us when the contract was originally signed) stating that they will require possession on or before the 4th July 2013!

You are correct; if the 12 month tenancy started on the 5th July 2012 then it ends on 4th July 2013; no notice is required by you to the LL or LA as the contract has run its course. In fact you could of just left without saying anything, so you have done more than you are required to and being courteous in confirming that you are in fact leaving. refer them to the S21 as well.

You can leave anytime before that date, but of course rent must be paid up to that date.

When you leave don't forget to claim your deposit back from the scheme direct, not through the LA; you should get it in 10-14 days; subject to any claims for deductions.

Take photos of the condition before you leave.

• 3 months later...

can anyone give me some advice my shorthold tenancy agreement has come to an end i am still at the property and have been served with a section 21 notice. i am 3 weeks in arrears with my rent and my guarantor is being asked to pay my arrears can this be done as i paid up to date on the contract.

If you are still in the property then it has automatically converted to a periodic tenancy ( month by month ).

Therefore you are liable for the rent until you leave at the end of rent period.

A section 21 notice must give you at least two months notice of seeking repossession and end on a rent period date.

Did you pay a deposit and is it protected?

Why have you not paid the rent?