Getting a sick note to the DWP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,I'm on ESA at the assessment rate (waiting for appeal),and the time is approaching for me to send in another sick note,but I'm unsure of how best to go about it.

1. I could send it by post,but the DWP have an annoying habit of pretending that my mail does not exist,which could be a problem with a sick note.

2. I've read that I could telephone DWP for an appointment to have it scanned onto the system,

but the people manning the call centres have no clue whatsoever what they're doing,

and tend to tell me whatever they think I'd like to hear - even if it means making stuff up.

If I choose option 1

I'd need to get a sick note nearly 2 weeks before the old one expires

,because the mail is routed to a PO box in Birmingham before making it to my local DWP office.

This would mean I'd only get 2 weeks worth of sick note if the Doctor gave me a month,which isn't ideal.

Is there a period of grace built into the system for sending in sick notes?

I could choose option 2,

but what happens if I get to my local DWP office and the call centre dude didn't bother to make me an appointment?

Could I just walk into a JobcentrePlus and hand in a sick note without an appointment?

Am I overthinking it?

I know I'm probably paranoid and delusional

,but how does everyone else deal with handing in their sick notes on time?

icon_post_report.gif

I always take my Mrs's ones directly to my local JC+

no app necessary

they just scan it and hand it back

if you attach it to a copy of the award letter

then that gives them all the info they need.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You sure about that DX?

Policy changed last year to you could only hand it to JCP to be faxed (via appointment) if a postal attempt had failed.

Basic advice is

photo copy scan it.

send 1st class and get a free proof of postage certificate if you can get to a post office. If you have a DWP pre pay 2nd class envelope you can upgrade it to 1st for about 10p :wink:

Then call up the general ESA telephone line 10 days later to check receipt.

Always as well make sure your name, NI No and the benefit it's for is on every sheet you send in. As NI and Name is already on there I just write ESA on the top of my fit notes Helps if it get lost to be re-routed to the correct dept.

Not had an issue with them since I read that.

Question should be why are you needing 1 month certs and having to get them 2 weeks before sending in?

ok is scotand diff then?

did it 3 weeks ago up here.

sri

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

... I'd need to get a sick note nearly 2 weeks before the old one expires ...

This is quite normal and the way you should do it. There is nothing wrong with the notes overlapping. I did this, every three months, for just over four years and none went missing in the post ...

Thanks guys,I'll get the sick note two weeks early and send it in Recorded Delivery,then ring em up a week after they've signed for it,and if they still can't find it they can make me an appointment to take photocopy to my local Benefit Delivery Office.

It's something worth keeping on top of as no (un)fit note, no money. I used to put the expiry date in my diary and the date I needed to get a new note. And then phone up my DWP BDC to check it was received.

In England I know that the fit note cannot just be scanned across or sent via the HOTT tool within the JCP an appointment for this can only be booked if the original fit note has been lost in the post and a duplicate has been issued and only then if the payment is outstanding and not before.

I have known the contact centre book the appointments in without checking first and then the Benefit Centre state that the fit note should be posted as normal :o

another possonly Scottish thing

but our neighbour took hers into the ctax office as they needed to see it.

they asked her where she was going being nice , she's on sticks

she said now to show this to JC+

they said, that's ok, our copy goes to them too.

dx

and they

OK, this is what I used to do with clients' med certs that had previously been lost (but this was 3 years ago). Photocopy med cert, phone up ESA and ask for the fax number of the section dealing with the claim, and fax it through. Then staple original med cert to A4 piece of paper with full claimant details on it and post first class.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Only problem now is that the Benefit Centre attached to the JCP I work in no longer accept faxes as they are not considered secure!

Typical, I don't work for a few years and they change everything. :-)

Photocopying the med cert before you send it is still wise, though.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Only problem now is that the Benefit Centre attached to the JCP I work in no longer accept faxes as they are not considered secure!

Faxes not secure? I suppose that e mails are regarded in the same light,which leaves the good old postal service. Universal Credit will be digital by default? Yeah right.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Faxes not secure? I suppose that e mails are regarded in the same light,which leaves the good old postal service. Universal Credit will be digital by default? Yeah right.

Correct, email is not regarded as secure. Indeed, it actually isn't secure - it passes, unencrypted, through multiple servers on its way from sender to recipient. The general rule of thumb is not to say in an email anything you wouldn't write on a postcard.

Websites can use SSL encryption and so on, but I agree with your cynicism regarding the "digital by default" aspect of UC.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks guys,I'll get the sick note two weeks early and send it in Recorded Delivery,then ring em up a week after they've signed for it,and if they still can't find it they can make me an appointment to take photocopy to my local Benefit Delivery Office.

Only trouble with doing this is if your GP will give you one so early, My daughter went for one 10 days early and the GP refused saying I can only give you one when the other runs out..... my daughter then timed her sick note receipt for her payment day, sent it off, that give 2 weeks before next payment is due, plenty of time for DWP to receive it, just make sure there is no dates missing.....

Edited by swinginapig