benifit entitlement

carlo10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i downloaded the file to see what the benifit rates are,and not sure if im getting the correct rate.im 55 yrs old,and my girlfriend,partner is 42. we get 112.55p per week.on top of that i get 44.20 as im sick.and get lower rate incapcity benifit.how come as a couple we get less than a single person.who gets a flat rate of 71.00.excuse my ingnorance.but i have always worked.and dont know the ins and outs of the benifit system.

am i correct in saying,we are being penalised for being a couple by almost 38 pounds a week.thanks in advance.

A couple gets paid less in means tested benefits than two single people would receive, yes. Is that what you're asking?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

A couple gets paid less in means tested benefits than two single people would receive, yes. Is that what you're asking?

yes thats what i meant,so as soon as you go onto benefits,are all benefits means tested.like i say since leaving school,till my heart problems i worked for around 30 yrs.so am a novice to benefits.so as a couple,we are penalised,for being honest,so in real terms both my partner and i lose 36 pounds a week.i can see why some people abuse the system.

yes thats what i meant,so as soon as you go onto benefits,are all benefits means tested.like i say since leaving school,till my heart problems i worked for around 30 yrs.so am a novice to benefits.so as a couple,we are penalised,for being honest,so in real terms both my partner and i lose 36 pounds a week.i can see why some people abuse the system.

Some benefits are means tested - the obvious ones are Tax Credits, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (IR) and Jobseekers Allowance (IB). Others are based on past NI contributions - ESA© and JSA©, and also Incapacity Benefit but that's now closed to new claims.

There are also benefits which are neither, such as Child Benefit and Disability Living Allowance. If you qualify for these (and apply for them, of course) you'll get them regardless of household income or NI contributions.

With regard to the couple rate, it has been this way for decades now. Couples are able to share expenses. For example, the amount it costs to heat a house doesn't directly depend on the number of occupants.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

How is child benefit not means tested? A single parent can earn 80,000 & not get it but a couple can each earn 40,000 & will? Or have they changed that now?

Sorry, I forgot about the recent change. It's kinda means tested now, yes, though it wasn't historically.