Parcelforce left £££ parcel on neighbour's doorstep, signed himself with made-up name!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Ten days ago, Parcelforce delivered a parcel for me to my next-door neighbour's doorstep. No card through my door, nothing.

She came home from work, saw it there and moved it to my doorstep, thinking it was a mistake on his part.

Two days later on my return home from working in Salford, wondering where my £110 parcel had got to, I contacted the Beauty firm who had sent it to me. This is a proper company, not an Ebay person.

They emailed me a scan of the signed-for document. It's signed by a "P Thopso0n" and a squiggly circle signature. Having googled, I can see that this is not even a real name. It certainly isn't any of my neighbours. All of whom I trust implicitly.

Wondering where I stand legally, as the parcel was not signed for by anyone, let alone me.

I'd have thought they'd take it back for redelivery, or hand it to the Post Office [literally opposite] or the local sorting office [a one minute drive away]

I've paid in advance and have nothing to show for it, through absolutely no fault of my own :violin:

The parcel was left on a doorstep.

No card through my letterbox.

We live on a main A-road on a busy High Street in a market town.

If the parcel was moved to my doorstep, it is visible from the main road.

It was not there on my return two days later.

Any thoughts on what recourse I have?

Many thanks, CAGers

Edited by 221b

i am afraid this is now a policy Royal Mail has adopted in leaving an item with a neighbor unless you have a notice in your window saying you do not agree. Royal Mail has adopted this as an "opt inn" policy and it is the customer who has to "opt out"

The true reason for this is that as the post is delivered much later now, and no one is at home at time of delivery, (AT WORK ETC) delivery offices are snowed under with all the packets etc brought back for collection and have limited space to store them

If you complain, all you will get back is a book of stamps for your trouble

This is what people get back when they do not complain, so no changes are made, think yourself Lucky, when royal mail is privatized, rural deliveries are looking at one day a week delivery span when the universal service obligation is done away with

Edited by squaddie

You need to get onto the company you purchased these from and complain, None delivery.

They are responsible for the delivery until you receive it.

I had a similar problem with some coffee I purchased from Germany, Delivery guy gave it

to someone coming out of next doors garden, Signed for it and I had a card through door

saying parcel at no ?.

Called round and was informed no parcel, They nicked it, £50 of coffee pods.

I complained to the company and they re-sent my parcel, The theft was down to the delivery

companies driver not checking ID and as you in your situation your problem is with Royal Mail

for leaving a valuable parcel on a door step.

If you get no luck with the company you could always try charge back if you paid via visa card.

George

Sorry, @Surfer01, I probably wasn't explicit enough when I wrote this:

I've paid in advance and have nothing to show for it, through absolutely no fault of my own :violin:

The parcel was not on my doorstep when I returned. No idea where it is or who's got it.

Will amend original post :oops:

Hi @biggeorge I've done this [at some length] They just keep bouncing back to me the Parcelforce responses. His GPS places him in the area, the parcel was signed for, a neighbour took it [the last two are economical with the truth, obvs]. The Company are now suggesting I contact PF direct myself, but as I understand it, my contract is with the Beauty Company and therefore, I shouldn't have to deal with PF, that's their job, no?

Yes, I did pay using my credit card. That's my last option. I'm hoping the Beauty Company will pursue PF for their losses, and send me a replacement parcel or refund me.

Hi @squaddie Apparently, I would have had to agree with the sender *prior to them sending* to say yes, it's OK to leave with a neighbour. I don't really consider myself lucky to be £110 out of pocket!

As an aside, my postie seems to think that Parcelforce is now a separate division yet still part of the Royal Mail Group. I hadn't realised that it's distinct from Royal Mail Parcels - not really sure why and what that means for me as a consumer...

I'd like to know how to approach the Beauty Company to get either a refund or a replacement. Any tips on wording?

Thanks all!

Edited by 221b