Appeal HMRC self assessment tax

John D
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

I have been getting bills from HMRC for a few years - I have copied this from another post, but this is more specific about appealing to HMRC:

I did a course through a government business called InvestNI in Northern Ireland, they help people with business advise, writing a business plan etc.

I was planning on starting a business here

The market was simply too bad to start and wouldn't be profitable after I did more research and went through options with the business advisors - I couldn't afford even the startup because of some things I didn't think about

I was advised to go to an accountant to talk about starting this up in general, which I did

I was asked some questions about me and the business

The accountant registered the business, which I did not ask for at all

I got lots of bills from HMRC for starting the business, went to the accountant about it and he said it's no problem because the business never started, just ignore them, they are automated

I got more.

I went to InvestNI, same advise, ignore because I didn't start and they are just automated

The whole time I have been on Job Seekers - I did the course with InvestNI through them, they know I haven't started any business - How can I be both running a business and on JSA trying to find a job... HMRC seems to think I am.

I wanted to know if there is anything I can do about this, I have never had a business and I didn't register a business or ask for it to be registered.

Can anyone help with this please? The bill is currently at £1200+ and also a £200 debt from a debt collection agency now because of previous bills from HMRC.

Thanks very much for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to seek restitution from the accountant if you were misinformed, and actions were taken which you did not authorise. Accountants have to have insurance against claims of misadvice. This is your best avenue as it is the accountant who was in the wrong in this situation.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop