Unauthorised debit card transactions

Housemartin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if any of you may be able to give me any constructive advice.

Last week I discovered 7 transactions from my debit card over £1000 worth, that I knew nothing about or authorised. These were all chip and pin.

The bank are now saying that it was my card and the correct pin used so they are not responsible.

The situation is I did not make the transactions,

my card and myself were 80 miles away at the time,

but cannot get the bank to do anything.

They emptied my account and am now in serious financial trouble

They have referred me to Financial Ombudsman and having spoken to them,

can take several months. I need some help please

Can someone tell me if I have posted this on the wrong forum?

• 2 weeks later...

Your bank should investigate for you...did you use the card at the same time these transaction took place? If your statement says where the transactions took place you could try contacting the places it was used to check for CCTV footage - my first port of call if the bank won't listen would be the police.

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

You need to tell your bank you are a victim of fraud, and DEMAND that they refund the transactions. Contact actionfraud and get a crime number. This will force the bank to act instead of lying to you and giving you the run around.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Good Morning and many thanks for your reply.

I used the card at my local branch to withdraw some money the same day these transactions took place over 80 miles away.

The statement shows clearly where they took place.

I have indeed contacted the places where the transactions took place and they clearly show the perpetrators to be 1 or 2 young to middle-aged women of EE appearance.

All the bank tell me is 'it was your card, and your pin, therefore you are at fault!!

I have been to the Police who tell me I now have to make a report to Action Fraud, which I have done.

The bank say I must contact the Financial Ombudsman if I wish to take things further, but they are being slow to send me the 'final letter' which i need for the Ombudsman service need to enable them to act.

Good Morning 'renegadeimp',

Thank you for your response.

I have indeed told the bank in no uncertain terms that 'I' am the victim, and demand they refund the transactions.

I cannot believe some of the 'arrogant individuals' I have had to put up with on their helpline(??)

As I said in my previous post I have reported the incident to Action Fraud and have given the crime number to the bank.

All I seem to be getting is 'stonewalling' from the bank.

Being given the runaround is putting it mildly.

All of the outlets have cctv footage and ANPR, but the bank don't seem interested.

One of the individuals at the bank told me to 'go down and get the footage from these outlets and give it to us so that we can take a look!!!

I just don't know what to do anymore.

Who do you bank with? - I've never experienced this when I've been a victim of fraud [twice]...its the fraud team that should be investigating - the 'evidence' should be gathered by them in case you end up accused of tampering with it. I would also add that retailers usually only keep CCTV for a few weeks so you might want to ask them to hold on to it for a while.

I'm not sue this threads in the right location for maximum traffic

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

You need to speak to a manager, not the front desk moneys that only know what they read off a computer screen. I've asked an admin to see if they can find a more suitable forum for this thread.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

As you havent named the bank, I have moved you to the General Bank forums.

I agree with the advice already provided to you - you should make a complaint to the police and obtain a crime reference number.

You will then need to write to the Bank's Head/registered office and advise they are treating you unfairly. That you are a victim of fraud and that you want them to act on this.

Provide them with the evidence you have collected so far and hopefully they will deal swiftly. Sadly this is not going to be dealt with quickly and it is indeed very unfair.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This is bad treatment by the bank. If the FOS is going to take months and you need the money now, I wonder if it is worth a "letter before action" followed by county court proceedings? That would speed them up - although doing it properly would involve a lot of work.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS