legal advice - scottish case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a bit of a problem

- there has been someone stalking me and harassing me.

They have now lodged a summons on me saying I owe them money. I don't.

The person does this all the time.

He pretends people owe him money when they cant get a reaction from anything else.

As a result he has been in court a lot but I havnt before and am a beginner at all this.

I know of a couple of times they have done this before but am sure its far more than what I know about from what I have heard

and I have quite a few other woman also saying they are experiencing stalking or have by the same person.

My question is this

(1) how can I search and find out all the times this person has raised legal actions against people and

(2) can I ask the judge to throw it out based on what I have said if I can prove it .

Bit worried as I cant afford a solicitor and scared of courts and don't know how it all works.

I wont get legal aid.

Many thanks

Try contacting the Sheriffs Court local to him, which should hopefully be able to tell you about cases involving this person. In England you would be able to get a copy of the court documents as a matter of public record, hopefully you can do the same in Scotland and consider attaching these to your Defence.

I am not sure whether you can claim costs as an LIP in Scotland. If you can I would be keeping a record of all the time you spend dealing with this and trying to claim costs from him.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

thanks will contact the sheriff court on Monday - I knpw of a few cases he has raised in the past - can I ask the court to throw it out on the basis the guy is crazy as opposed to putting ina genine claim

In England you would file a defence and then apply for summary judgment or a strike-out. I cannot see an equivalent procedure in the Scottish Small Claim Rules, although I don't know much about Scottish procedure - perhaps ask the clerk at the court in which the claim was filed whether you can apply for a summary decree.

In any event I think you should file your defence first.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am assuming its a small claims you have received?

Can you type if what they are claiming for?

When is the return date and the the hearing date?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

it was a small y claims and now the judge has continue it for legal advice as it may be a summary action because of the counterclaim - the case has been continued for a couple to give all parties a chance to get legal advice -

counterclaim????

what is the counterclaim for?

How you can counterclaim when you say there was no money exchanged?

If you need help you will need to expand

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, sorry I not been back on - been busy trying to deal with all this. Idafife thanks for the question as its a very good one and a bit of a long story. I am slightly further forward. In a nutshell the guy is a mentalist and he has been stalking me for a while and now lodged a small claims summons on me to "get my attention". While stalking me he has done some damage etc which is what is in the counterclaim. I really don't want a counterclaim I want left alone and I told the Sheriff that but he says he will hear at full proof and has continued the action to allow me to get legal advice. Sadly I have checked and I cant get a solicitor for financial reasons. I am a bit further down the line now and yes the police are speaking to him frequently but he is very clever in the way he does things to me. I have quite a lengthy stalking diary now though and he has raised an almost identical small claims summons on my friend now. I have been reading on vexatious litigations and wondered how I could ask the sheriff how to strike it out - like is there a form to complete or something to ask the sheriff to look at it. I went to see solicitors and they said I needed an anti harassment order and the police say I need an interdict and it is important to get a power of arrest on it but they said it would be thousands of pounds and I don't have that. I just need to deal with what he is doing till he finally gets the jail or something cos he keeps doing this to women - meantime how do I raise a vexatious thingy in court. Can I ask the Sheriff to hear the cases together as he has now started lodging them on friends and he says he has another two he will be lodging as well (if I could do smiley faces I would do a witty sighing one here lol) x

:|:-D

haha - at least I cant come away from the forum now saying I haven't been helped - just learning how to use a form and cant see a like button but at least now I know there is the potential to do special smiley faces - thank you for making me smile when I was getting all fed up with my legal situation xxx

In your quick reply box mrs happy you will see the smiley icon (next to fonts sizes colours.)

Im not too au fait with Scottish law so Ida should be along later...but under English law you could submit an application N244 and request a strike out.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

wow - advice on how to work a forum and legal advice - I sure have came to the right place - I will try and impress you with a smiley face in this reply - if Ida knew of the Scottish equivalent of that form I sure would be Mrs Happy cos I think I probably have enough now to make the judge think "holy cow" if I get a opportunity to present it to him - otherwise will need to prepare for a full proof just in case and its such a long story that makes me lose the will to live so be lots of work involved in it - I have a hearing in a few days to see what I want to do as the claim will be ordinary cause if I don't cap the amount to 3 to keep it small claims (guy done a lot of damage to things while stalking) as they told me that when they explained how dear legal repreresentation was. I hope Ida doesn't think im rude not coming back on for so long when she was going to try and help me because I am not to computer and she had said she would need more details to help so sorry Ida when you come along :whoo: Whoo I am trying to put a smiley in here that probably doesn't fit with the text very well but it was a moving one and I found that quite cool - not sure if it will work or not as my first go x

The Sheriff will decide how the case will proceed, whether a hearing of evidence should be fixed or some other disposal of the case would be more appropriate e.g. a debate (called in England an application to “Strike Out”) on a legal point.

:thumb:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Post 15 ......a Debate.

Regards

Andy

Dear Andy, you are a legend - I didn't have a clue what I was doing and couldn't afford legal advice and wont get legal aid and you helped me out cos now I at least know what I am asking for, Love Mrs Happy (well I a bit happier now anyways) just got a couple of legal points on the counterclaim. Mr Stalkerboy got charged again by the police for being an eejit but not sure if that is relevant for court x

if you are reffering to a strike out?? you would need to complete an Incidental Application

• 4 months later...

This thread is now in "General Legal Issues"

It is purely an administrative move.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D