Are AtOS reliable when it comes to recorded WCAs?

bigissue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As I posted on the other threat earlier today I have been surprised that my request for a recorded assessment has been met rapidly by my ATOS assesment centre. I was expecting a bit of a faff and delay but they have sent me a letter confirming that my WCA will be recorded, that they have the equipment ready etc all on the day I am due to go which is about one month from when I submitted my ESA50 form.

I was thinking that I was just lucky but know I am worring about how reliable they are when it comes to this sort of thing, is it likely that once they say they can record they will do so or can I expect cancellations and rearranged appointments?

One worry is that the person who is able to take me to the assessment works during the day and they have to arranage for a day off work to go with me. I am worried that if I turn up on the day with and they tell me that due to some last minute problem I will not be able to have that appointment recorded that I will feel pressured into having the assessment unrecorded as I would feel bad about my companion having a wasted day.

Would it be advisable to call the centre a few days before to confirm that the assessment will be recorded?

The chances are you will turn up on the day and they will advise you that the machine is either broken or was unable to get hold of one. There are next to none in the entire country something like 40 so you do your calculations. Do you think there will be one there? I am not convinced.

ring on the same day of the appointment or at least the day before to get confirmation so you dont have a wasted trip.

The time they told me mine would be recorded it actually was so not everyone has broken machines.

Thank you for both those comments, I would ideally like to regain my ESA without having to atend a dreaded medical but f I have o have one I think having it recorded is a good insurance. I will call ATOS the day before to check that they are going to be recording for sure, as it would be really bad if my friend takes time off work for nothing.

It's rather odd that the police use equipment from the same suppliers (Neal) that the DWP source recorders from, and the police equipment rarely breaks down. These recorders are expensive items built to last, so either ATOS are lying or, the machines are being sabotaged deliberately.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Something is suspicous I agree as atos had previously more or less told me I had to have it non recorded, and then within hours of me getting the medical cancelled they suddenly had the machine already at my assessment centre, was totally bizzare.

Something is suspicous I agree as atos had previously more or less told me I had to have it non recorded, and then within hours of me getting the medical cancelled they suddenly had the machine already at my assessment centre, was totally bizzare.

ATOS's behavior in general is highly suspicious, if the organisation has nothing to hide, if assessments are carried out by the book, then recordings would be welcome, after all it is a safeguard for the HCP as much as the claimant.

The fact that ATOS routinely attempt to block claimants requests says it all in my opinion.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

:Hi bigissue:

From my accumulated knowledge and personal experience Shatos are far from reliable at recorded messicals but once every other blue moon they do manage to get an audio recorder to the right place, at the right time, and find a pinocchio who's prepared to use it. From memory, at least two contributors to CAG have secured audio recorded assessments without any problems.

Other side of the coin, by far the most usual senario for assessees who've been offered a recorded assessment (well done you) is a last minute reschedule. Either Shatos phone to cancel, sometimes less than an hour before the appointment time, or claimants arrive to find nothing's been arranged. Another favourite, 'Can you come back later? The machine's on its way/been delayed.' Had one of those earlier this week when I chaperoned a friend.

Unfortunately, there's no fail safe way to cope with this fracas. Responses depend on individual circumstances; financial, stress levels, and of course whether a chaperone who's working can get another day off work. If you find yourself in the situation you've described, it's worth knowing that assertiveness and waving Mr Hoban's quotes at the centre manager limits the 'persuasion' to have a non recorded messical.

Two bits of info that may help;

Earlier this week DWATO restated that no one's been 'forced' into a non recorded messical since July 12. Does depend on one's definition of 'forced'.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/refusals_to_record_wcas_9_or_999#incoming-368694

Claimants asked to wait more than thirty minutes from their appointment time should be offered the option of a rescheduled appointment.

(MEC admin guide)

Best wishes, Margaret. :flame:

Earlier this week? Was rescheduled by Shatos! Again!!

Edited by **Margaret**

Thank you Margaret, great information as always! At least now I will prepare myself mentally for my assessment potentially being cancelled last minute and I can speak to my friend about it as well so they know what could happen. I will try my best to hold out for the recorded assessment come what may!

:No Show Audio Recorder?:

The assertiveness card (mentioned in #8) can be very effective but it's easier said than done. Especially for claimants who may be in considerable pain, or trying to cope with rocketing stress levels, or trying to think clearly through their meds. Think I glossed over it a bit the other night cos I was tired out from a friend's trip to Shatos earlier in the week. Here's a short narrative of what happened.

My husband drove a friend and myself to the Shatos centre for her second promise of an audio recorded messical for a conversion award from incapacity benefit. As usual, we were 'armed' with a folder containing; copy of letter asking for audio recorded messical, copy of Mr Hoban's quotes on the issue and a pre-signed consent form.

At reception we were told that the machine had been delayed and informed that my friend could wait or return a couple of hours later. We retreated to the car to discuss the matter. Between her panic attack and my rapidly developing migraine my friend decided to ask Shatos to reschedule. Smiley assassin appeared to persuade us she'd be very careful to record everything on LIMA! Centre manager appeared to explain that Shatos don't have to audio record messicals. Presented with a transcript of Mr Hoban's quotes, she disappeared to phone for guidance.

So; another rescheduled appointment; waves of panic attacks and extra meds to deal with them; both of us too exhausted to move from our sofas the following day. Little wonder that claimants resort to the risks of covert recorders or get too ill and tired to care.

Back to my :couch2:, Margaret.

A pre-signed consent form isn't a prerequisite, but for anyone who wants one as an indication of their intention, there's a blank copy at;

http://whatdotheyknow.com/request/wca_recording_consent_form#incoming-352037

My husband had his ATOS assessment on the 1st March.

I called when he received the appointment and requested that it be recorded. The man advised he had requested this and gave me a number to call a few days before the appointment to check everything would be set up.

He received a letter 1 week before to tell him thaat everything would be set up and when we arrived everything was set up for the recording.

I must admit we had no problems with the request.

Joanne

:Joanne:

At this rate we'll be into double figures. :biggrin: Your husband's become number four that I know about on CAG. Missed one while I was too shattered to crawl off the sofa!

There's always been a minority who've secured audio recorded assessments without problems. Last year I was aware of several in my area over a period of about ten days. Then we were without a working audio recorder for the next three months. :mmph:

Pleased for your husband's (probably recorder influenced) favourable result.

Margaret.

Strange how they seem to have problems with the so called technical equipment the one thing that can help us, and prove we are ill.

The blood pressure machine was not working when I had my medical - or rather the size of the sleeve (I was informed they only had the 1 size) did not fit me.

As I suffer from incredibly high blood pressure - well say no more is all I can comment.

:Joanne:

At this rate we'll be into double figures. :biggrin: Your husband's become number four that I know about on CAG. Missed one while I was too shattered to crawl off the sofa!

There's always been a minority who've secured audio recorded assessments without problems. Last year I was aware of several in my area over a period of about ten days. Then we were without a working audio recorder for the next three months. :mmph:

Pleased for your husband's (probably recorder influenced) favourable result.

Margaret.

You know the age of those people? even guessed age.