Gumtree - buyer wants money back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sold my MacBook on Gumtree for £200,

after already reducing it £50 to the man I sold it too.

I told and showed him there was a problem when tilting the screen it sometimes goes black,

in which you just tilt it back to a different position and it's fine.

I also told him the MacBook sometimes gets a grey screen and fails to load up,

I've always just taken the battery out and put it back in and it's fine and works normally.

He said that was fine and bought the MacBook I showed it working and everything, and he was happy.

A few hours later he rings me saying he can't get the MacBook to load,

and I explained already it does this and I just take out the battery.

He was not satisfied as he claims it doesn't work and is saying he wants a refund.

I said no, as I sold you it as seen working fine.

He then started saying if not he wants money for repairs.

I said no as I explained the problems the MacBook had and was completely honest.

He said this is now a civil matter and is gonna take action.

I am wondering what to do now,

can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Hello and Welcome,

I've moved this thread to a more appropriate Forum, there's a thread here that may interest you............................

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?379274-Gumtree-Buyer-wants-refund.&highlight=gumtree

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

It sounds like this Macbook was on its last legs. You say the Macbook works if you tilt the screen a certain way and take the battery in/out, but I doubt this arrangement could work for very long - it was always a matter of time until it gave up the ghost completely. It sounds possible that the buyer got home and can't get the Macbook to load no matter what.

Obviously you were selling a very faulty Macbook, but you were still selling a Macbook which works. You weren't selling it for scrap. Personally I would take the hit and give the refund.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

id disagree

the fault was fully explained

therefore its a case of buyer beware

the only legal comeback he had is if it was not as discribed, which in this case it was as described

the screen issue could have simply been a loose cable

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Yes, I agree, I explained the problems and disclosed all the faults with the laptop, he is saying it's a civil matter. I was like, how..? I disclosed all the faults and even showed him how to run the MacBook. He is going into the Apple shop and is going to try charge me for the faults to be repaired. Am I right to think this is not my responsibility and ignore him if he keeps hassling me?

Playing devil's advocate, I do not agree that the fault was pointed out. Assuming he is telling the truth, the fault he is describing (laptop doesn't work at all) is much greater than the fault you pointed out (laptop works if you replace the battery). You were selling a faulty laptop which still works, but he got home and the laptop doesn't work at all.

Unlikely he can charge you for repairs. In theory he could sue you in small claims court for return of the GBP 50 and the court fee of about 35. Personally I think he would probably win, though obviously others disagree. Realistically it is unlikely someone would bother with litigation over 50quid but you never know.

steampowered - How could he take me to small claims? I explained there was problems with it. I even restarted the machine a few times to show him. The grey screen appeared once during a few restarts, so I just took the battery out, held the on button down, put the battery back in and it loaded perfectly fine.

I showed him the item working, and disclosed all faults, I sold him the item as seen working.

steampowered - How could he take me to small claims? I explained there was problems with it. I even restarted the machine a few times to show him. The grey screen appeared once during a few restarts, so I just took the battery out, held the on button down, put the battery back in and it loaded perfectly fine.

I showed him the item working, and disclosed all faults, I sold him the item as seen working.

There is a dispute of fact here, which is not just about whether you disclosed the faults. The dispute seems to be about what the faults actually are. You say the laptop works if you replace the battery. He says he can't get it to load at all.

He could file a small claims case for breach of contract, on the basis that you sold him a laptop (albeit a damaged laptop) which does not load. In the unlikely event he bothers filing a claim it would go to a hearing. Whether or not he would win at the hearing is difficult to say. It would come down to whether the judge believes his story that the laptop won't load at all or your story that the laptop worked when you sold it (albeit with faults which were fairly disclosed).

steampowered- So what do you recommend I do? Shall I offer like £30 partial refund or something to keep him happy? As this way I've knocked £50 off and a partial refund of £30. (Even though I technically don't have to.)

You've left yourself wide open here!!

The buyer can take action ............ because he can if he wants to .... thats it!!

Repairs wont be cheap, and you could end up with quite a bill, if he goes through with it.

Refund him.......... and bin the faulty goods.

There's really no point selling low value faulty goods.......... just bin it ....... learn from the expereince, and move on quickly.

Thumper - No I won't as I explained there were faults, and he was aware of that. The Sale of Goods Act (1979) states if I sell an item and have declared there are faults and have disclosed all information and then the item is sold as seen, the buyer can not ask for a refund as the goods are second hand. That's what I've been going off.

ill ask site team to drop in with advice

personally the buyers out on a limb

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Another case of simple Buyers Remorse?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Just going to say I hope you listed the faults on the advert on gumtree?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

labrat - Thanks, the more advice the better. Personally, I'd never rip someone off, which is why I think I'm in the right. I explained the problem, showed him what to do, I even showed him how to run the operating system, and on top of that I accepted £50 off the original price. What more can I do?

gotta agree the man stand no chance.

he prob though he could get it repaired

then found out the cost

trying it on IMHO

soga wont help him either

wil you though

you outined it was faulty

buyer beware.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

IdaInFife - No I had genuinely forgot to mention on the advert, and I had interest quickly so never got round to changing it. However if anything like that did go to court I was on the phone to him and fully disclosed all it's faults.

dx100uk - Yeah you're right, I've followed the SOGA, so hopefully he'll just stop bothering me.

I am now playing devils advocate,

IF the buyer did proceeed to court it would be your word against his that you told him it was faulty as he could easily produce the advert with no mention of faults/

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

IdaInFife - Okay, in that scenario, could I not just get recordings of the phone call? And one of the times he rang me back my friend was there too, and because he wasn't listening to me. My friend firmly explained it. Couldn't he also be a witness?

Harry, I'm not questioning, your honesty......... You obviously sold in good faith

And offered all the relevent facts at point of sale.

The point I'm making is............... if the buyer goes through will small claims action.

You are in for a whole heap of time effort, and possibly cost.

More than the value of the sale.

It's not worth it!!

Refund ..... learn from the experience ........... move on ......... and be bitter, it's your right!

aha

so was not on the advert

was the buyer aware of the faults before he paid for it.

you sayhe came around and saw it

and you face to face demonstrated the issues?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...