Motor car insurance nightmare

me_n_ze
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The story goes like this

I took out a trade policy 2 years ago with Unicom and listed my cars and had a year of no worry insurance. Last year we renewed my policy with a company called gardners insurance in Chelmsford. they took the deposit and started the policy. The company was given a list of vehicle's to be put on the MID website. 1 of the car on the list is not registered to me. The owner of the car that was not registered to me got a letter saying that the car had no insurance on 06Sept 2012 and has been flagged up as uninsured and Not on the MID and fined.

I contacted gardners insurance and asked them why the car wasn't on the list. they said it was added at the start of the policy and that it was a mistake by traderwise the underwriters . they said they would sort out the mistake. after a few months they did nothing and the fine went up, then went to court.

I gave up and contacted traderwise and had a good chat with a guy, and found out that from the start of the policy 1st may 2012 till 13th/14th sept 2012 there was no cars added to the MID list. then all 3 cars was added. I asked how the 3 cars details was added to the list and was told that the list was updated by gardners insurance.

I phoned gardners and asked how the details got to the MID they said they are not sure. I know we didn't contact them and give them the list of the cars after the 06/09/12. the woman said the policy didnt have any cars added to the policy for 4 months as we didn't give them any details of the 3 cars. I replied that someone must be physic as some how the MID list was updated.

I was thinking of asking Gardners in S.A.R letter to show me all the emails they have had from myself to them. I was also told to ask them for all call records kept.

From the way I see it Gardners had missed listing all my cars on the MID and then added then after the no insurance offence. I was also lucky they didn't fine me for the other 2 cars as they was not on the list too.

I would like some help in getting gardners to admit to the mistake and pay the fine.

does anyone know what I should do now??

I think I would SAR them for the details they had of what cars should be entered onto MID. If this car was one of them, I would give them 21 days to settle all of the costs incurred by their mistake or you will issue a court claim against them ( Gardners). Your contract is with Gardners, so any court claim would be against them.

Sometimes the Police will accept proof from the Insurers of a mistake in regard to Insurance and are willing to cancel the penalty/fine/points etc. So Gardners have got a chance to resolve this with the Police for a lesser cost to them. Your case won't be the first where this has happened on a Trade Motor policy, so Gardners should know how to resolve.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I was thinking a SAR letter but not sure how to get hold of any recorded phone calls that gardners may have kept as the guy from tradewise said that gardners should be recording their phone calls

In the SAR to Gardners you just specify that you also want copies of any phone calls. Give the dates/times if you can.

To be honest, if Gardners had Insurance arranged for this particular vehicle and can contact the Police with the Insurance information, this may be an easier way to resolve.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The police wasn't involved as it was just a fixed fine from the DVLA and didn't carry any penalty points. I Remember someone from gardners saying they was going to try and contact someone at DVLA, but failed.

The police wasn't involved as it was just a fixed fine from the DVLA and didn't carry any penalty points. I Remember someone from gardners saying they was going to try and contact someone at DVLA, but failed.

Gardners can still resolve this. Even if the Police were not involved, they can provide witness statement to the Magistrates court on your behalf that the vehicle was Insured and I believe Magistrates will then scrub out the offence.

Gardners can still resolve this. Even if the Police were not involved, they can provide witness statement to the Magistrates court on your behalf that the vehicle was Insured and I believe Magistrates will then scrub out the offence.

I would like to think that they could do that but the fact that the car was not on the MID list at the time the DVLA set out the fine will be a case of "not insured vehicle"