Moorcroft trying to collect a catalogue debt of my sons which he paid in full 18 months ago.

merlin100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

my son got a letter from Freds demanding £150. He hasnt a clue what its for but obviously was a little worried about it. So having loads of experience thanks to CAG, I rang them.

I refused point-blank to give them any personal details via their "security questions" routine, and simply asked who, if anyone, this money was owed to.

They wouldnt/couldnt tell me as I wouldnt fill in their blanks via the security routine.

Five minutes passed and then we got to the threats of potential CCJs etc if it didnt get sorted.

I retorted ( pretending to be my son) that if they thought they could send a letter to a certain address confident that they had the right person,

without any "security check" - a letter that contained a name, address, reference number and amount demanded,

then a further "check" would be pointless and only serve to extract further information from their target.

as expected, I learned nothing, but neither did Freds.

I told them at the beginning of the call that it was being recorded, and it was.

But this has now got me thinking - what if I make a few calls to Freds along the same lines and record them all?

Surely I would have demonstrated ( to a possible court) that I had tried to sort this and that my refusal to furnish a DCA

with further information should have no bearing on the fact that the "debt" hasnt been resolved?

After all, they made the initial demand, so surely the onus will always be on them to prove it

- they have already sent the most basic of details via the letter, so now send details that "prove" it?

Surely I could not be expected to give any personal details to a company that makes nothing more than a demand for money without providing any details?

Thoughts anyone?

cant of read too much here if you replied to a phishing letter.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi It is up to Freds to prove you are the person linked to the debt,and who the original OC is,this is basic DCA requirements according to many official recommendations OFT,and the Lending Code of Practice to name 2.

Have a read online The Lending Code of Practice it is helpful and clears up many bad practices used by DCAs

It seems you can record conversations which is fine.I still consider writing best practice,choice is yours.

Nothing wrong with that dx, as long as you are confident enough to deal with them.

They dont know anymore than when they first sent the letter and we all know what may happen eventually if these things are ignored - they gain the confidence to go for a default CCJ, if not them, then the next bunch of shysters down the chain.

Once thing I have learned from CAG is NOT to ignore these chancers, but to put them in an awkward position if only for future reference:-)

• 1 year later...

Sent these creeps a CCA request a while back for my son and got a letter back today more or less trying to pass the buck back to my kid.

Havent got the letter to hand but it went something like this -

"We have been assured by the OC that they have now contacted you ( actually no they havent) and that you are now in a position to offer payment."

And then the next bit which actually contradicts the above -

"If the OC has not contacted you, ring us so we can resolve this matter" (yeah right).

Dont give up do they?

Ignore Moorcr@p, they are redundant, can do nothing, say nothing, and can just barely breath. I wouldn't even begin to entertain them uness it was for my own entertainment.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heres the latest with this damn shower..........

As said above, sent CCA Request and had no reply other than Moorcroft trying to pass the buck back.

Now my lad has another letter from them that says the usual crap "despite numerous attempts" etc etc but then also goes on to state that they havent had a payment from him since November 2012 and therefore please cough up.....

Now Moorcroft have never had any payment from him and this has now got me wondering about compiling a letter that suggests their deliberate lies to border on deliberate deception or indeed fraudulent activity worthy of a report to the police.

We see this many times on this site and from many DCAs - posters reporting lie after lie from these DCAs. Surely they are walking a thin line and it wouldnt be too hard to trap them with their own letters.

Anyone have any views on this?

too many if mights and maybes to dicipher if they are actually going to actually possibly do anything

for any regulator to pin anything on them

i wonder if the OP is going to tell us

what deb this is about and if they have checked his CRA file yet?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Brief history - Moorcroft trying to collect a catalogue debt of my sons which he paid in full 18 months ago.

Sent Moorcroft a CCA Request

- they replied by saying they had been "assured by the DCA that he would have signed a copy of the agreement"

and that the catalogue company have been in touch with him over this ( no they havent) so cough up.

Then they finished that letter saying "If the OC hasnt contacted you within the next four weeks, contact us".

Now hes got a letter from the OC saying they have sold the debt to Moorcroft so deal with them.

On the same day a letter from Lowells has arrived demanding the same debt.

Not worried about this, the CCA Request was sent by Recorded Delivery and I have proof of posting and a copy of the online signature from the Royal Mail site.

But surely multiple request from DCAs for the same debt, at the same time, would confuse, indeed mislead some people?

After being a member of CAG for a few years, I personally know the value of keeping records.

Any correspondence I have with these leeches is always sent by RD, I keep copies of everything, and this has proved to be very valuable many times now.

It essentially either stops them in their tracks or at the very least makes them tread very carefully!

So what about the vulnerable in our society?

People that maybe cannot keep records, or indeed people that are paying one DCA,

only to have the same debt demanded by another DCA? And then maybe another?

Then theres the time-wasting, having to send the same letters to multiple DCAs over and over again to do nothing

but protect ones self from what looks like nothing more than an attempted fraud?

Are there any guidelines on this. Legal or otherwise?

Thanks all.

I think this would be classed as harrasment especially the the debt has been satisfied so I would be inclined to remind the OC that any future calls or mail from the DCA's will result in a report to the police thus bringing criminal charges against the OC

firstly i'd gather info.

get his cra file.

also moorcroft dont buy debt, so it will be lowlife as the owner

dx

and they

very unusual then.

oh well

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, brief timeline -

Moorcroft hassling son for alledged unpaid debt. Son certain he paid a year ago.

Sent Moorcroft a CCa Request to which their reply was "we have now been assured by the OC that they have sent you a copy so cough up". But no copy of a signed agreement exists!

We followed up with the Account in Dispute letter and Telephone Harrassment letter.

The CCA Request, Account in Dispute letter and Telephone Harrassment letter all sent in seperate envelopes and all by Recorded Delivery and I have print-outs of the receiving signatures from the Royal Mail site.

We have now recieved a lengthy letter from Moorcrofts "Compliance Manager" that to my mind does nothing but attempt to cloud any issues and contains subtle threats.

I would like you all to look at it and offer any advise. Personally I think we are now at a stalemate situation, but if theres something Ive missed, please contribute.

Thanks all.

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or ir you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

Moorcroft are experts at "clouding" the issues!

If you could provide larger images of your letter then that would be good, havinastella has provided you with instructions on how to do this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Clouding the issue or not Moorcroft (spelling mistake) need to be certain of their facts in order to make anyone pay any money they believe is owed to them or their clients. Unless they can prove unequivocally the money is due then tough they don't get any. That should not take a three page letter to explain to these cretins.

when does moorcrap ever not cloud an issue?

never ever pay a DCA!!

dx

and they

Moorcroft = 1st question on job interview with them i:;- can you see thru the cloud here = answer "yes" then you do not get the job, if you state no the job is yours = go press button "B". and take this bucket and feed the fish as we are bottom feeders of the game.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: