Urgent help needed - repay tax credit overpayments

Bluefairy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help me please?

Had notice of child tax creadit overpayment due to us both being self employed at the time (Ive been back in PAYE for 4 years). We had subsequent award notices saying no payments due to previous overpayments, so assumed debt was reducing.

Ive just received change of tax code which apparently means they will be taking an extra £165 per month to repay the overpayments.

We just cant manage this - we are already on the edge. My salary and £80 fam allow are our only income. My partner is self employed kitchen fitter little or no work - I think he had 4 jobs last year. However we are told we have not entitlment to any benefits whatsoever and my partner is not allowd to sign on as unemployed.

We already have arrears on mortgage, council tax, credit cards, bills etc

I rang them today and I need to phone back tomorrow with income/expenditure etc.. They also dropped the bomshell that there are other sums we owe that they havent done anything about yet - all in all we apparenty owe around £3000 over around 8 years!

We really cant afford much at all, we are just a normal couple in our 40's and 50's with a 12 yr old daughter. We have always worked and CTC is the only thinbg we have ever claimed.

We dont have Sky - we cant afford it, we dont have holidays abroad - we cant afford it, we dont drink or smoke, we dont ahve central heating on and all our rooms have mold from condensation, weve tried to sell the house and cant....

Is there anything left we can do? We really are at our wits end and Im physically sick

If you can't meet your essential living costs, then you can pay over a longer period of time. You must ring them, tell them there is no way you can afford that amount. Are you disputing the overpayments? You can still claim tax credits as it's based on personal circumstances not employment status related. If your husband isnt earning then put his income down as 0, if he gets a bit of work

and your income increases by £10,000 you ring

and tell HMRC. if you earn under £25,000 you still be entitled to something.

Are you in any debt at all?

Edited by scotgal68

scotgal 