Kidnapped by Asda for refusing to Show Receipt on Exit.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the only time I show my receipt is if the alarm goes off when I'm leaving, any other time my reply will be NO

As far as I am concerned, that alarm is there to remind you in case you forgot to pay, nothing more. It doesn't entitle anyone to request a look at a receipt as far as I can see ...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny when they try and do things like this in my local Asda. The security "guards" there look like theyve stepped straight out of college or just doing some work to subsidise their pensions each week. Most people just laugh and walk past them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

As far as I am concerned, that alarm is there to remind you in case you forgot to pay, nothing more. It doesn't entitle anyone to request a look at a receipt as far as I can see ...

I understand what your saying its not often the alarms go off, its usually because an alarm tags been left on something lol

Can't believe you're wasting everyone's time here? The shop is well within their rights to ask you to prove you've paid for items and for me i think good on them as if it was someone who hadn't paid and they let them go then you'd be miffed?

Detained what a load of cods wallop just show the receipt next time.

• Confused 1

Can't believe you're wasting everyone's time here? The shop is well within their rights to ask you to prove you've paid for items and for me i think good on them as if it was someone who hadn't paid and they let them go then you'd be miffed?

Detained what a load of cods wallop just show the receipt next time.

The forum is here to help people and not condemn them. If you like to condemn people join another forum!

I'm not condemning anyone thank you just stating that this whole sorry affair could have been sorted by showing the receipt. If they suspect anything then they have a duty to ask so personally i don't see the problem.

I'm not condemning anyone thank you just stating that this whole sorry affair could have been sorted by showing the receipt. If they suspect anything then they have a duty to ask so personally i don't see the problem.

Then if it happens to you personally you can show the receipt, as would I, but we must accept that not everyone will feel the same way.

I'd be interested to know which statute you think places shop employees under a duty to ask for a receipt if they suspect 'anything', especially since, on another thread, you said:

People simply cannot accuse people of just anything and get away with it so for me get the advice and take it as far as you can.

Totally agree but i'm not one for beating around the bush when it comes to things like this and all i heard from the original poster was they held her "kidnapped"? Really?

Sounds like they were just doing their job to me and like i said before she's wasted everyone's time as she simply could have shown the receipt. One more thing if i was working there and i asked to see someones receipt that i suspected something may be untoward and they refused then i would be very suspicious that they have done something wrong until proven otherwise. :)

Also she's wasting my time and your talking about it. :) LOL

Totally agree but i'm not one for beating around the bush when it comes to things like this and all i heard from the original poster was they held her "kidnapped"? Really?

Sounds like they were just doing their job to me and like i said before she's wasted everyone's time as she simply could have shown the receipt. One more thing if i was working there and i asked to see someones receipt that i suspected something may be untoward and they refused then i would be very suspicious that they have done something wrong until proven otherwise. :)

Also she's wasting my time and your talking about it. :) LOL

One minute you say that shop staff have a duty to ask for a receipt if they suspect anything, the next you say that no-one has a right to just accuse people of anything, then you tell us that if you were working in the shop you would do exactly what you say people should not do!

On a serious note, judgmental comments of the sort some of your posts display are not appropriate on CAG, and on this area of the forums particularly. Many of the people who come for help are vulnerable for one reason or another, and they need to be able to ask questions without the fear of being criticised for it. It may sometimes be difficult to empathise, but if you are not able to contribute constructively, then please do not post.

If you crayon on threads, you will attract moderation.

I don't get what your problem is?

I'm stating that they would not have asked for her receipt if they didn't think there was a problem. Also, i wouldn't class this person as vunerable and claiming to be kidnapped by shop staff is a strong claim. I came to this forum thinking we all had a right to air our views regardless if they agree or disagree?

Not sure what you mean by crayon on threads and if you think you want a forum for people who will agree with everything that is said then maybe the moderator would like me to leave?

Many of the people who come for help are vulnerable for one reason or another, and they need to be able to ask questions without the fear of being criticised for it.

Please forgive me for making my point but on this occasion i think it's better out than in. I am not judgemental, i am not criticising the persons actions but i am simply stating that NO-ONE would ever be "kidnapped" by shop staff regardless of whether they have commited a crime or not.

The original poster seems to me like they have come here to vent their frustration at being ask to firstly show a receipt (not such a big deal), and secondly being taken to the security room (again if she would have shown her receipt this wouldn't have happened).

Also, one more thing, Ian Valentine mentions that "I have today been humiliated, embarrassed and had my good name and reputation publicly tarnished by the actions of your security staff and Asda colleagues at you store in Thurmaston, Leicester". (again they are doing their job to which if they would have shown the receipt at the time of asking then he wouldn't have been humiliated, embarrassed and had my good name and reputation publicly tarnished by the actions of your security staff and Asda colleagues at you store in Thurmaston, Leicester).

I don't see what the big deal is sorry?

You need to be aware that many people who come to CAG for help are vulnerable in some way. In this forum in particular, we see people who are vulnerable because of their age, because of mental health or other health issues, or because they do not have good English. How you determine whether someone is vulnerable or not is not the point, and in any case there may be issues a poster has not disclosed; the point is that you should not make judgmental comments. For example, claiming that someone is wasting everyone's time - this may be true, but it may also be the case that something that is not an issue for you or I is a major problem for someone else - especially if they are vulnerable. Assuming that everyone approaches an issue from the same perspective as yourself is rarely helpful. People who come to this forum in particular are often the victims of particularly aggressive and unpleasant tactics, and they need to feel that this is a safe place to ask questions - any questions - we do not want people to feel that they are being judged.

Crayoning on a thread is where someone makes posts that do not contribute to the thread in any meaningful way - just to criticise others, for example, or make fun of someone else. You can air your views, contentious or otherwise, but not in a way that detracts from the focus of a thread or seeks to dismiss the views of others. The primary aim of this forum is to help people.

I suggest that you spend some time reading through some threads, which will give you a feel for CAG in general, and how you might contribute.

Thanks for the advice and if you check out my other threads then there are some occasions where i agree with others but also disagree with others. I will take your point on board about people coming here to feel safe to express themselves but as mentioned previously they have to be able to take some critisism as long as it's constructive and on this occasion i think i've done that by stating that if this person was to show the receipt to the staff then there is no problem unless this person has done something wrong of course. :)

Going back to the ordinal post.

This happened to me,man in orange jacket at my local Asda store near the entrance asking very nicely to see the receipt of a Free view plus box I just purchased for £99.99

I simple should him the receipt,he said thank you and wished me a happy Xmas.

Why some people have to "Make a Mountain over a mole hill" is beyond me ....

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

As far as I am concerned, asking to see a receipt is a tacit accusal of theft.

Whenever I have seen this happen, it has usually been followed by a rummage through the shopping without asking for permission to do so, so I would also be saying no.

On an occasion when my goods set off an alarm and I did show the receipt, I was asked to go with the security person back to the checkout where I paid for the cashier to remove the tag - and no-one cared that I was in a hurry but the security person had my property in their hands and was going to do what they wanted

It's a matter of perception; some may feel that this amounts to being detained against their will, having, as mentioned above, tacitly been accused of stealing. We cannot know how someone else feels, and so speculating on why we might have done something differently isn't really helpful.

Anyway davewright, you still haven't explained the dichotomy between your claim that the shop staff' have a duty (or indeed the basis for that duty), to ask for receipts, and your other claim that no-one can just accuse anyone of anything.

Private security are not the police

So unless these rent a cops have a warrant card, they have no rights over another human being, and to tell them/make them do anything

They may ask or request, that is all

Hi folks,

I think the main concern of the OP was their perception of the way the whole incident was handled. Some of the security staff can be best described as " lacking customer care skills". I know that I can be stroppy when approached the "Wrong way" and throw my dummy out of the pram. It could be that what is needed is for both sides to take a step backwards, get their breath and see things differently. ( Sound like a NLP tutor) Also as someone who works in many different supermarkets, if I buy any goods, even after my official call I have to have my receipt signed by the checkout person. I am even subject to random searches when I leave by the staff entrance so showing my receipt is not a problem.

But you accept searches etc as you are a staff member and it will be included in your contract of employment.

The general public are not subject to these rules and private security have no implied right to do anything on a private citizen, Even on private property without express consent