When is it an emergency?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4109 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick question - Boiler started playing silly beggars today in our rented house. Heating came on but no hot water and strange sounds emanating from the boiler when I tried to run the hot water taps so I rang the estate agents who were closed for the weekend so checked the website and discovered a page that read...

If you are a tenant residing in a property managed by xxxxxxx, we have made arrangements for an out of hours Emergency Assistance Service.

This number is for Emergencies Only and contractors will only be appointed should it been deemed a necessity.

24 Hour Emergency Helpline Number

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note if a contractor is appointed to a non emergency - any call out charge and material costs will have to be paid for.

So I've rung the number and been told that the Estate Agents Insurance on the property covers me for 2 hours worth of repairs and up to £100 for parts and they're sending an engineer out in the morning.

Which sounds great but I'm now wondering who decides if a dodgy boiler is an emergency and if whomever it is decides that it isnt an emergency then am I liable for costs of repairs/callout etc?

(I initially figured that the people at the end of the phone on the emergency number have decided that it is an emergency and that's why they've arranged for an engineer to come out and I have already turned of the boiler completely because I know that I don't know if it's dangerous or not and so currently have no heating or hot water now until a qualified expert reviews it)

Any thoughts would be very welcome.:wink:

Thanks TG

If it's a gas boiler surely the danger of, for example, carbon monoxide escape, needs checking as a matter of urgency. I'd worry about leaving it.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hope it's sorted quickly. :-)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Of course Emergency Service will turn out on a Sun, nice litle earner.

Get a full explanation of diagnosed fault and immediate repairs carried out from engineer before he leaves, pref voice recording on your phone. Do not sign for more work other than 2hrs and £100 for parts, or agree to someone coming out again next week to fix it. Notify LL/LA Mon AM of emergency callout and whether rectified. If he has to remove boiler casing, ask to see his GasSafe registration card before he does so.

Buy yourself a battery-operated CO alarm (~£20) and place near the boiler, useful at next property also.

It could be just an airlock in the hot water pipes, not a 24hr emergency, but better safe than sorry.

Is there a current GSC in place?