Bedroom Tax

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, could do with some advice on this new bedroom tax please.

I am my mum's full time carer and also her DWP Appointee (thanks to Erika). My mum has a multitude of illnesses and disabilities and she is in the ESA Support Group and receives DLA High Rate Care and Mobility as she obviously has care needs during the night, although not every single night. Her night care is shared between my family and my two brothers, depending on their shift patterns and I decide on mum's condition early evening if she needs night care for that particular night.

In December 2012 a form came from the council relating to this bedroom tax. I deal with all mum's correspondence and I ticked the box on the council form which said she receives DLA high rate care and that she has a non resident overnight carer.

Up until last Autumn mum lived in one bedroom sheltered accommodation, however, she was assessed by the Occupational Therapist and also the social landlord last year and was offered a 2 bed bungalow in order to accommodate an overnight carer and I still have a copy of the care plan stating this. The 2 bed bungalow is not sheltered, but it doesnt matter as I care for mum everyday anyway.

The other day I had a phone call out of the blue from a really snotty woman from the council asking me how often does mum require care during the week and who provides the care?

I told her to put it in writing. Is this right that councils are phoning people out of the blue asking for these details.

I really cannot guess how many nights mum needs care until I assess her needs during the day, some nights its 7 nights, other times it may be less frequent. As to who provides the care, well why would that matter?

According to DLA guidelines to receive high rate care the person needs help during the night, so as my mum qualifies for DLA High rate care, why would the council be asking these questions - and how should I answer them.

Thanks for any advice offered, Joe

Yes we do need to know who carries out the overnight care. If its family members then we needs letter from the gp detailing what arrangements are in place. Unfortunately we can't just use the fact that your mother is on dlach.

The phone call would just be to check out who the carer is, whether it was from a charity, recognised body or family.

Just tell them what you said here, won't be a problem.