Another 'Whatever Happens' issue.

dumbstruck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, my first post.

I could use some advice please regarding a declined claim with my whatever happens policy. Here goes...

Early in December I was out taking photographs along the coast. I was changing lenses on my Canon EOS 500D camera when I suddenly swayed, lost balance and fell backwards landing on my back. The part of coast that I was photographing is very rocky and made up of large boulders and sharp rocks. As I fell, the camera was thrown from my hands and both the lens and the camera body sustained very bad injuries! I had a light ruksack on my back which contained my iPad (in a genuine apple smart cover). The iPad took the brunt of my fall and saved me from some otherwise potentially nasty injuries. The screen was cracked and the back dented. Amazingly, it still worked...

I immediately hobbled in to my nearest Curry's branch and spoke to a helpful attendant. In no time at all both items were sent off for repair under my 'whatever happens' policies. This was on the 5th December 2012. A few days later I received a phone call from Whatever Happens saying that the camera was beyond repair and that a voucher would be sent out to me but to allow a little extra time due to the Christmas post. I was well chuffed, excellent service. Well done Currys.

About a week later I received a letter on the 16th from Knowhow regarding my iPad stating that the damage the engineer had found on the iPad exceeds what we would expect given the circumstances. The iPad was sent back to Currys unrepaired. I felt like I was being called a liar. I WAS FURIOUS.

After a coffee to calm me and a moment to collect my thoughts I suddenly thought to myself and silently applauded how well the engineers have been trained at Whatever Happens. After all, how many other companies get their employees to throw themselves backwards on to a rock to find out what damage could be caused to an iPad?

Naturally, I appealed against their findings and sent a very detailed letter of events ‘Recorded and guaranteed by 9am' via Royal Mail on the 17th December.

In the meantime, I went back to Currys and purchased a new TV; an early Christmas present to myself. The TV was paid in full with a debit card.

Less than a few days later I received a phone call from ‘Hugh Moir’ of H.M. Investigations (Knowhow’s third party investigators). I felt the call was a joke really and a complete waste of my time. Hugh asked what had happened to the iPad. I asked if he’d read my detailed letter to Knowhow, which he had, but that he wanted to hear it again…. He also asked about previous claims for the same iPad, which there was one (knocked off a table, screen smashed. Repaired under whatever happens).

What he asked me next left me dumbstruck, I could not believe what I was hearing. He gingerly asked why I had spent my voucher for the replacement camera on a TV?

Yes, you heard me correctly. Hugh Moir of H.M Investigations (according to his website westyorkshireprocessservers.com, a retired police officer of 30 years) acting on behalf of Knowhow asked me why I spent my voucher for the replacement camera on a TV.

I went ballistic. I reminded him that I HAVN’T EVEN RECEIVED THE VOUCHER YET and then asked him why he hadn’t checked his facts out first. He was answerless and made an excuse that the system wouldn’t have that kind of information regarding the transaction. Clearly presumption is obviously the order of the day here…?

The phone call came to an end and despite the above I felt it went favourably. I asked if there was a chance that he might submit his findings to ‘Gary Perryment’ as soon as possible as I was away on my annual holidays from 2nd January and it would be nice to have my iPad for that.

Well, 2nd January came and went as did my holiday, iPadless. I expected to find a letter on my return on the 17th January, but no. Nothing.

I phoned Knowhow on the 17th and was told that an email would be sent to Gary Perryment to find out what was happening. Four days passed without hearing anything so another phone call was made to Knowhow on Monday 21st January trying to chase this up. I was told this time that my appeal had been declined. No answer as to why could be given but that I would hear from ‘lady in the office’.

I am dumbstruck, furious and gutted. I have read countless posts on this forum of similar stories. How is this company getting away with this?

Can someone please kindly offer advice on what course of action to take. I am done with being Mr. Patient. I am more than happy to take them to court and willing to spend good money on a solicitor to do so.

Thanks to all in advance.

You really need to keep things formal

Stay off the phone all communication in writing

that way you will have a paper trail and no going back on what was or not said

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't want to speak to anyone on the phone, but then again everything seems to take an age with Whatever Happens. Should I send them 'LBA'? If so what should I say to them? Thanks so much in advance.

Put it in writing to them give them 7 days to sort things followed by a lba

don't threaten court unless you will carry things through

In the past i have found knowhow service spot

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

I am not one to bluff. I mean every word I say. If send them a letter before I send a LBA, what should I say? Can i demand? What did you mean by 'in the past I have found knowhow service spot'?

Many thanks once again IHB

If you send it by royal mail, then 7 is enough provided you send it by recorded delivery. If you just use proof of posting, give them a day or two extra.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks renegadeimp for clarifying that. Does anyone have a sample template which would be ideal for me to send. Also, Should I send it to the standard Maylands Avenue address or is there a 'higher' address I could send it to? Who should I address at?

Many thanks :-)