debt for someone that doesnt live here

hnicholls85
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

sorry if this is in the wrong place but my heads a bit all over the place

i keep recieving letters for my ex partner who moved out nearly 12 months ago regarding a council tax debt from his previous address in a difference council area and town.

well several times ive rung up the agency (including 2 days ago) saying he doesnt live here toget "not a problem we'll have your address taken off"etc etc

well today theres a knock on the door from my neighbour saying they had had a letter from the agency to ask for information on my ex, apparently they've been sent to all my neighbours, im absoloutley devestated

i rang them and the girl says they can do that and that im probably lying about him being there as "they oftern get lied to about this" and that i wouldnt of been told i can have my address taken off becuase they arent allowed to do that! yet other agencies ive rang up ragarding my ex have just taken my name off

i have seen or spoken to him in nearly 12 months and theyjust keep dragging it up and contacting my neighbours, im so upset and im unwell anyway i cant deal with this stress, im trying to get on with my life and hes just refusing to sort his debt from before we were even together

does anyone know anything i can do?? it just doesnt seem right :(

Make a complaint to your local council & also try to contact your local councilor & get him on board.

I take it whoever is contacting your neighbours is a third party debt collector? If it is your council is still legally responsible for their collection activities.

Have they revealed to your neighbours why they want this information or was their request on headed note-paper showing that they are debt collectors? If so a complaint to the ICO may be worthwhile too. https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

'Using neighbours to pass on messages to trace subjects is an unacceptable practice that contravenes our debt collection guidance. It has the potential, whether unintentional or not, to lead to the disclosure of private financial affairs and to cause distress and embarrassment, and we have made this clear in discussions with the Credit Services Association.

From an OFT press release in 2009

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT