Unfair Redundancy Midwife Matron

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been employed as a Midwife Matron since 2003 at NHS Hospital.

Recently the hospital was going through some cuts and restructuring.

In the Maternity department, there are 3 Matrons. It was decided that only 2 Matron would be needed.

Matron A, decided to hand in resignation and resigned her position.

Now there are 2 Matrons left.

It was also decided that all Matrons (previously 3, now 2) should re-apply for their positions (this was before Matron A resigned)

Anyway, interview went through, I know I did very well.

Only to be told that I was not successful in securing my post, which I have been responsible for in the past 9 years, with an unblemished record (no disciplinary actions, no long term sick leave or Absence) I even represented the Hospital on Radio shows and TV interviews (when in relation to Maternity related topics)

The current head of midwifery (my boss) who only got in about a year ago was among the people that interviewed me for my position. I was informed by her that I did soooo poorly during the interview. I strongly doubt & deny that!

to cut the long story short, my job was advertised and now, one her friends from a another hospital has been given my post! Now I have been made redundant!

Moluc

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Letter sent to Nationwide 5th/09/06

Statement Recieved 20th/09/06

I went through mediation with the NHS trust and complained that I have been unfailry made redundant and dismissed.

I was informed that the NHS trusts stand firm with this decision. That the post that all Midwife Matron had to apply for had CHANGED!

I really would love to know how it has changed from my current position of Midwife Matron (In charge of Labour ward and Anti-Natal)

This is a job I had been doing successfully for the past 9 years.

I really would love for some advice here, if I stand a good chance at the ET.

Many Thanks

Moluc

The two job roles were the same.

Both positions were for Midwife Matron for the Maternity Department of this NHS Trust. no difference what so ever.

There were in total of 8 Matron positions that needed to be re-applied for, all in the name of restructuring. Out of 8 Matron Jobs available in the Trust, I was the only one who did not get their job back.

I sat through consultation process after I had been informed that I would not be retained. Reason? "did not do well at the interview stage". these were the people that interviewed me, My new Boss, the Director of Nursing and 1 independent person.

I requested for the interview notes (this took them 6 weeks to get me a copy) and could not read a single word from the Director of Nursing, who has now left the Trust.

The Independent Interviewer made good remarks about my interview and felt I understood clearly the tasks at hand, but when it came to scoring, his marks changed (it looked as if it had been corrected or altered.)

The annoying thing was that my job was advertised as vacant without me accepting the outcome of the interview. I was on holiday when my job was advertised, only to come back and find out that my post had gone to a former colleague / Friend of my Boss. Is this fair, is this allowed?

Moluc

Your strongest argument would be proving the relationship between your boss and the newly appointed person. If proved, this could lead to dismissal of boss and newly appointed person as trust will want to distance it self from such accusations.

I had a similar issue and it was very difficult to prove the relationship between my boss and the person who was appointed to a more senior position even though every one else knew the facts and why he was appointed so be careful.

This is the most difficult part.

When she became head of midwifery just over a year ago, she brought in a Consultant Midwife (another former colleague from her previous place of work) and now, the new person taking my post is another former colleague. looks like a game of chess to her. Systematically bringing in her friends. and hereby getting rid of me.

Moluc

all depends on if legally other trusts/nhs areas can be part of the ringfenced posts, if not then i see a potential claim

If i was you my next step would be a formal grievance along the lines that there were 2 posts and 2 candidates as your colleague resigned therefore you should have been slotted into the post, don't expect them to uphold it at first but you will get a clear answer around their line of defence to making you redundant, you can then see what path to take.

all depends on if legally other trusts/nhs areas can be part of the ringfenced posts, if not then i see a potential claim

If i was you my next step would be a formal grievance along the lines that there were 2 posts and 2 candidates as your colleague resigned therefore you should have been slotted into the post, don't expect them to uphold it at first but you will get a clear answer around their line of defence to making you redundant, you can then see what path to take.

I am considering (seriously) about legal actions.

I have been through the grievance process and all I was told was that the Post has CHANGED and based on the interview, I was not successful. during the interview, there were no HR personel or representatives. I asked them to explain to me which part of the post had changed, they could not explain to me or give me any reasons what so ever. I was told that their (NHS Trust) position stands regarding my redundancy.

Now, another news... I just learned that the person replacing me is a Band 7 widwife from another NHS trust. I have been a Band 8A Matron for the past 9 years. The post (My post that was readvertised) is still the SAME post. Nothing changed. not even departments. When I joined the NHS Trust, I was in charge of Community Midwife for 7 and half years, and a year and half later we had a reshuffle and I was made incharge of Labour Ward. Moral was high and every single staff under me was happy. I represented this trust on several occassions (Including TV & Radio interviews)

I still feel agrieved by all these. That was my post.

Moluc

• 1 year later...
I am considering (seriously) about legal actions.

I have been through the grievance process and all I was told was that the Post has CHANGED and based on the interview, I was not successful. during the interview, there were no HR personel or representatives. I asked them to explain to me which part of the post had changed, they could not explain to me or give me any reasons what so ever. I was told that their (NHS Trust) position stands regarding my redundancy.

Now, another news... I just learned that the person replacing me is a Band 7 widwife from another NHS trust. I have been a Band 8A Matron for the past 9 years. The post (My post that was readvertised) is still the SAME post. Nothing changed. not even departments. When I joined the NHS Trust, I was in charge of Community Midwife for 7 and half years, and a year and half later we had a reshuffle and I was made incharge of Labour Ward. Moral was high and every single staff under me was happy. I represented this trust on several occassions (Including TV & Radio interviews)

I still feel agrieved by all these. That was my post.

Hi

I think I know this story far too well for it not to be my trust. It's interesting and if you are whom I think you are then you are correct this whole thing was totally biased. Today, interviews were held for a senior post and someone was recruited from another trust. One of the applicants for that job was instead offered a position she didn't actually apply for. Moves were made of another Matron and she was given a Matron post. There were two posts one as Matron on PN and the other Labour Ward Manager. The is wife from another trust was given Labour ward manager. The other applicant who was clearly unsuccessful was offered another Matron post on community which wasn't even advertised. The existing community matron is being moved to the PN matron... Again a job I don't believe she applied for!!! To add insult to injury the Midwife who got the job which wasn't advertised and for which she didn't apply doesn't have the qualifications for the post!!!!! I'm angry that "jobs for the boys" persists as does "if your face fits".