Powerflush - British Gas - Homecare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

AIM of this thread: Create a strategy, explore approaches and find a way.

Central Heating Insurers' - occasionally "advise" customers that they NEED/MUST GET a powerflush for their central heating system, as it is causing some sort of problem (directly or indirectly).

"If you don't get the powerflush then we won't: 'this and that' or, won't cover 'that and this'" etc.

So you ask, "How much would you charge?" Answer is usually "£1000,0000,0000 x 10" or so :!:.

Then you ask: what if I do get this professional power flush, but from someone else, that I could afford/prefer.

Answer: "If it's not done by us, it's not to our standards, and makes no difference, we still won't accept it as sufficient."

My Challenge to my fellow forum members:

What can we, the public, do to challenge this. Are there any precedents, techniques and tips and ideas.

Are there national standards, that mean other contractors are legally qualified to do powerflushes to the same standard, a court would deem sufficient and equal, saying the insurer has no basis to disregard the alternatives', workmanship or skills.

I want us to find a challenge to the - 'You need it [assume correct] It has to be done by us, or else' policy [unacceptable].

Explore, suggest, speculate - but - keep on topic.

ihateyes,

Thanks for sounding in.

I think we could really use some more detail. If a customer has homecare cover, and an insurer is called out. They'll often recommend a Powerflush as being neccessary. They say that without the powerflush, we will repair the system, but not continue to cover. They then say it's only our powerflush we'll accept (to continue the cover).

Please share more detail, about what you have said.

Again - thanks.

Edited by Libertas

ihateyes,

Thanks for sounding in.

I think we could really use some more detail. If a customer has homecare cover, and an insurer is called out. They'll often recommend a Powerflush as being neccessary. They say that without the powerflush, we will repair the system, but not continue to cover. They then say it's only our powerflush we'll accept (to continue the cover).

Please share more detail, about what you have said.

Again - thanks.

OK well have a look at the t&c's

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/pdf/HomeCare%20Range%20Terms%20and%20Conditions.pdf

In here it states BGas wont cover 3rd party damage....

if you search the t&c's you will notice nowhere in it does it state the Powerflush muct be carried out by Bgas.

The engr might be on commission so will want you to buy from him, rather than another company.

Hi Surfer01,

thanks for the link. I read through it, and it seems to be great general info., but little specific about how to counter/circumvent/respond to insurers' tactic of forcing PF.

Every reading Surfer01's thread will be very useful, but after come back here.

I would like this thread, to be a strategy formulationthread.

I have had a few thoughts. If test kits that determine the quality of the CH water are available, from the same people that make the inhibitor, then that can be used as evidence that a Powerflush is not needed.

Also there is the point, that how are BG determining that a person needs a powerflush.

What test are they administering? Would and arbitrary judgement, stand up in court?

Any other ideas or contributions that would help build a strategy to pre-empt the "PF or loose out" threat?

I don't believe there is any specific way to counter/cirrcumvent forcing a pf.

The individual case will need to be considered, as will the insurers individual T&Cs and where in the country an individual lives (as some areas have harder water, thus resulting in build up of lime scale, and the more frequent need to flush out a system).

I have seen systems where when drained, the water is black with dirt. Likewise, I have seen parts of heating systems scaled to the point of no longer functioning. These are generally tests administered. I am unsure of why this would be taken to court, never mind stand up under examination.

I don't believe there is any specific way to counter/cirrcumvent forcing a pf.

Hi MrHandyman,

Thanks for contributing.

I think you may be misunderstanding me.

I have no problem with doing a powerflush. I want to find a way, to do it from someone other than the insurer, because they charge way too much.

If I don't do it from some other provider, they claim its not sufficent. They are trying to lock me into their powerflush - I think I should be able to get it done from a qualified third party, and it should be good enough.