Car Damaged by Shopping Trolley

timetoshine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice that any of you may have regarding a recent incident in which my car was damaged by a shopping trolley.

I will try to make this as clear and simple as possible.

Earlier on today I parked my vehicle in a council managed car park that adjoins the local Waitrose supermarket. Not liking supermarkets very much I decided to wait in the car whilst my partner went in for a few bits. The space I chose happens to be next door to a marked trolley bay.

Whilst I am waiting a customer pushes their trolley in to trolley bay area. At this point, the trolley deflects of another trolley and protrudes through an opening in the barrier and in to the side of my car. The barrier is one of the scaffold bar types which has large openings. Getting out to inspect my car I find a nasty gouge that will sadly require body shop repair.

My contention is that Waitrose, the local authority or in fact both parties have a duty of care and that duty of care has been breached. I believe this to be the case because the purpose built trolley bay does not adequately contain trolleys which in turn exposes car park users vehicle's to risk of damage.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on this matter.

Kind regards,

timetoshine

I would of thought that as you actually saw the person who was in 'control' of the trolley at the time, that you would of held them responsible? It could be because of their actions that the trolley ended up hitting your car. That perhaps would of been the most easiest avenue for you to go down. The alternative is to prove that there was negligence on either the land owner or the trolley owner or both.

BTW, any 'at your own risk' signs do not necessarily mean that the person or company that erected the signs, can not be held liable.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The duty of care sadly only extends to the store/local authority or the actions of their staff - the design of the trolley corral is almost certainly outside of their liability.

Know how you feel though - happens quite a lot to my car :mad2:

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I would of thought that as you actually saw the person who was in 'control' of the trolley at the time, that you would of held them responsible? It could be because of their actions that the trolley ended up hitting your car. That perhaps would of been the most easiest avenue for you to go down. The alternative is to prove that there was negligence on either the land owner or the trolley owner or both.

BTW, any 'at your own risk' signs do not necessarily mean that the person or company that erected the signs, can not be held liable.

Please Note

Hi and thank you for your comments. I was actually away from the car at the time of the incident. My apologies, I should have been more specific. My partner and I had been for a drive, I dropped her off at Waitrose to pick up a few bits whilst I waited with the car. During that time, I decided to get out of the car and stretch my legs and it was at this time that it happened. I witnessed but could not get back to the chap before he had driven off. I was half tempted to take off after him but how far do you go???

I have ventured back to the car park and there is not an 'at your own risk' sign in sight - and no I haven't taken them all down as my friend jokingly accused me.

Fortunately, I took lots of photo's and noted the registration of the offender's vehicle.

I think the first thing I need to do is get some knowledge on who owns what and who is responsible for what. The most annoying part is that the car will have to be painted whether I have any success or not.

Thank you all for your feedback, it really is very much appreciated.

timetoshine

If the trolley bay is purpose built to contain the type of trolley that damaged your car, then I think I would disagree with the comments above and say I think their "duty of care" does extend to the fact that shoppers (i.e. the guy you saw in this instance) can reasonable expect to deposite a trolley in the bay without having to check it is correctly contained within, and drivers (i.e. you in this instance) can reasonably expect to park near the bay without having to check that trolleys can't purtrude from the bay.

I would challenge Waitrose or the council (whichever was responsible for designing and installing the bay) that they failed to protect your car by mis-designing the bay.

If the trolley bay is purpose built to contain the type of trolley that damaged your car, then I think I would disagree with the comments above and say I think their "duty of care" does extend to the fact that shoppers (i.e. the guy you saw in this instance) can reasonable expect to deposite a trolley in the bay without having to check it is correctly contained within, and drivers (i.e. you in this instance) can reasonably expect to park near the bay without having to check that trolleys can't purtrude from the bay.

I would challenge Waitrose or the council (whichever was responsible for designing and installing the bay) that they failed to protect your car by mis-designing the bay.

Hi Crem, thanks for your comments and your advice.

Further investigation reveals that although the car park is owned by the council, the trolley bays are clearly marked by Waitrose signs. This to me implies that they are responsible for them. I have written to the store manager essentially explaining what happened and stating that I believe Waitrose have been negligent. I have made my argument on the basis that if they are to provide shopping trolley bays then they must ensure that they are fit for purpose, just as the same as they have to ensure that the store is safe.

I have written a rather hefty but very business like letter loaded with photographic evidence so I shall update when I hopefully receive a response from them. I am prepared to go all the way with this one so could turn out to be quite an interesting case....

Watch this space as they say....

timetoshine