Re: Benefit theft

vix2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Jo.

My daughter is in a similar situation. She had a baby Nov 5th 05 and was then left on her own. She gets about £112 a week in income support and child tax credit. She has a halifax account which she hasn't used in this period and because of being £4.85 overdrawn on 16th November she now has £123.00 in charges. Now this doesn't seem like a large amount, but it is one weeks income to her. I have drafted the following letter to the halifax.

"I am writing to you regarding the above account.

On 5th November 2005 I had a baby, and during the following week the father walked out on me. I had to claim Income support and child tax credit and am currently living on around £100 a week. Due to problems with child birth and depression I have not been able to efficiently sort out my finances during this period, and am receiving help and advice from various organisations regarding my situation. As you can see from the enclosed statement, my account has not been used much during this time. I have tried to keep paying in when I could to cover the charges, but as you can see they keep escalating and I am in a downward spiral.

I am writing to you to ask you to help my situation by refunding the £123.00 charges. As you are a member of the Banking Code, and section 2 of the 2005 code states that, to quote,

“ We will deal quickly and sympathetically with things

that go wrong and consider all cases of financial

difficulty sympathetically and positively.”

I am hopeful that you will see that I fall into this category and help me in my dilemma.

I have currently been informed of the Bank Action Group who are helping people in my situation help themselves, and have been advised to investigate this course of action, however I am confident that you can help me through my direct contact to you."

In anticipation of your favourable response,"

Not sure if anything will come of it, but thought it's worth a try.

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

GE Capital - counter claim 6/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

so will I but its worth a stamp to try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

My thoughts are with you; Becky had PND; that developed into being medically classified as unfit for work due to her suffering full blown depression.

She is also a self harmer; her way of dealing with her condition when it gets too much for her. She had 'dark thoughts' but did not act on them until about 2 years ago when her bank problems took hold and she could not cope; her scars are now with her for life...

I went into the banks and pleaded with them to help explaining how bad her mental health was; they made polite noises but did nothing; they did not even reply to the FOS complaint, total contempt. However I do hope you get somewhere all the best,

Jo

Have you ever known a bank to admit they are in the wrong??

Thanks Jo. Its heartbreaking when its your kids. I totally sympathise with you. I've already helped her submit a claim for first direct and sent LBA to RBS. Those charges combined are £3000. On their benefits, how do they ever expect them to pay it back. And why should they when its been taken illegally anyway? I think the FSA should tell the banks that they're not allowed to charge for od's caused by charges. Since my daughter was under £5 overdrawn she has not made any withdrawals on this account but the £38 charge took her further over and then 3 charges of £23. Its crazy. Don't think the letter will make any difference but as I said, it's worth a try. Good luck with your daughter and hope things get better for you both.

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks