How is the 8% interest worked out???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - just wondering if some-one can tell me how the 8% interest is worked out please?

I took a cash loan out for £13,000, with the interest charged totalling £3,884.72.

The PPI policy was included in the cost of the loan for £3,571.62, with the interest charged totalling £1,065.18.

The total amount payable for the loan was £21,521.52, repayable over a term of 72 months.

The monthly payment towards the loan was £234.51 for the capital element and £64.40 for the PPI element, with a total monthly payment of £298.91. The APR of the loan was 9.4%

I made my first payment on 26 Mar 01 and the last payment on 4 June 2003 respectively.

Upon settlement I was given a rebate of £1,864.68 and an insurance rebate of £1,345.47 which was applied to the account on 5 June 2003.

My claim has been successful and this is what they stated in my letter:-

As you have already received a rebate of the interst and insurance we will refund the outstanding premiums and interst charged on those premiums of £2,890.07. In addition we will pay 8% simple interest of £149.07.

We have received this money but have since had a call saying that the 8% interest has been mis calculated. They have sent a letter stating:-

I (The loan provider) have re-calcuted the 8% and it totals up to £2,311.81. I have advised you over the telephone that I will deduct the previous amount which is £149.07 that has been credited to you from the total that is £2,311.81 and this would leave a balance of £2,162.74 for the 8%.

Is this correct - don't know how the 8% is calculated - just seems a lot of money to be 8% of something, or does it depend how far back the loan was. Confused.com

Appreciate anybody comments

Thanks in advance

J

Edited by juicy47

The 8% is awarded on each payment towards the PPI part of the loan from the date it was paid right up to the date of settlement.

In addition there is a slightly more complex part which is this...

When you settle a loan early you are supposed to get a rebate on the unused part of the PPI. Very rarely is the done on a pro-rata basis. Consequently, when it comes to removing PPI from a loan altogether, there is generally an overpayment of PPI at the point of settlement of the loan.

In your case, the balance on the PPI part of the loan at the date of settlement was about £2,451 and you got a rebate of £1,345 which means there is an effective overpayment of £1,106.

So you get that £1,106 back and 8% on it running from the date you settled the loan up to the date of settlement of the PPI claim.