Default on disputed debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am in process of claiming back unlawful penalties with MBNA its at court stage and to my horror i have just had my credit report and they have defaulted me on the 29th September 2006! the account is in dispute so i didn't think they could do this. Any advice anyone? Much appreciated as i am really annoyed and don't know what to do next!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there in the same position disputed amount I am in the process of addressing illegal issue of default notice not only being in dispute but also penalty by way of unautherised overdraft and interest.

Regards boxster

If you have been defaulted while the account was in dispute, the bank has breached The Banking Code. I would suggest writing a preliminary letter to explain to the bank that the account was in dispute and they have signed up to the Banking Code that prohibits this. Tell them they have 14 days to remove the default or you will send them a letter before action giving them 14 days to comply or face court action. If you have no joy by this stage file an N1 application to the County Court to have them remove the default as the account was in dispute. When you signed up to this account you knew the bank was a member of the Banking Code and this was a significant reason that you went to them in the first place. Even though the Banking Code is voluntary membership you can treat it as though it were an integral part of the original terms and conditions for the account.

I have done this and the default was removed and court fees refunded after I filed the claim.

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Good luck!! Let us know what happens.

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Thank you for your help and reply its much appreciated. I have taken your advice and written to them. I also thought I would make life that little more difficult for them and requested a copy of my credit agreement. I have had enough of their actions!

Good luck boxster let me know how you get on too!

• 1 month later...

Yes and sorry for delay in posting! MBNA finally settled my monetary claim but are fighting the removal of the default and sent a very confusing letter to me! I have asked for a copy of my credit agreement and things have gone quiet for now.

In their letter they are stating that i am getting confused about my default. I quote 'May we firstly explain the difference between the Notice of Default and the default that was registered on your credit file. These issues are seperate although potentially confusing' Yep you are right there! Am still trying to get my head around the whole letter and will post back when i am more clear!

Hi all ... sorry to barge in on your thread but I could do with a bit of info here. i haven'r really been thinking about the default removal process yet as my theory was to deal with claiming back charges etc first then deal with this later. BUT I have just started a DMP with CCCS & have received two default notices so it's kinda forced the issue really. One of the accoutns will be totally clear once all charges are refunded so I understand the theory of caliming removal of this one.

What I can't get my head round is the other as it's only a claim on part of the balance of a credit card .... Basically how can I get the default removed when I have defaulted? I've just started reading about this & is it because it's now a disputed account??

Sorry if I'm being dim here but as I say this bit is all new to me ... some clarification would be muchly appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c