Using train if disabled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If I want to use the train to go from A to B, how would I get to Platform 2 which is the other side of the tracks and is normally accessed using the gantry? I use elbow crutches and there is no way I would be able to use the gantry to cross over the railway lines. Any advice please? Thanks.

Call the station and ask them is all i can suggest.

I can get across the railway lines at the main station, but at the other station which is unmanned there is no facility unless you use the gantry. Looks like I am stuffed and will need to find another way to get to my destination! :-(

The station staff will take you to the platform. I have seen them use a wheelchair to take passengers across the lines to the next platform.

No issues on "departure" station as main station, but "arrival" station which is rural is unmanned. To get to car park one needs to cross the lines.

I would still suggest contacting either the train company or the company who operate the station.

Thanks I have already done that which is how I found out the "destination" station was unmanned. I suppose if I do a few steps at a time I might make it. the wife will be with me. Hoping it is not going to be raining heavily tomorrow. Either that or I have to drive there and the missus will need to drive back on her own. Something she is not keen to do as it is out of our "normal" area plus being a 2 hour drive on her own.

Hi - I see your after practical advice here, but its worth pointing out Roads Vs Central Trains.

I dont know what station it is but if there is road access to each side, i.e. two entrances to the station ask the rail provider to arrange and pay for a taxi between the two. They should by now have put in place 'reasonable adjustements'. Ideally they would want a lift and it would be debateable if that would be reasonable, but a taxi fare is nothing to these companies and hence is clearley reasonable - more importantly, they can sort that tonight ready for you arrival!

The side of the railway station that we would have been on, Kingham in Oxfordshire bordered onto fields and looking at it from Google Earth only way over was by the gantry. In the end we drove down as it would have been very unlikely I would have made it up and over using the footpath.

What will people do when PIP comes into operation and thousands of people lose their motability vehicles and they cannot use the train services?

My information is probably quite out of date, with apologies. Many years ago (about a decade or so) you could arrange to go to the nearest station that had a crossing you could use, at no extra cost, and get the train back again so you were on the right platform. Obviously, this is not practical in every situation - probably only a few tbh - and the practice may have been stopped. It's just a thought for consideration ...