Account used in my name whilst under 18 .. help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I just joined this site after not being able to find an answer for my problem anywhere on the net.

Basically, I am only currently 18 and have a default on my credit score from early 2011.

I registered with Very when I was 16 in order to buy a dress. I can't quite remember how I signed up but do remember paying for the dress there and then and receiving it soon after. I also received a letter a few days later telling me I had a credit account for £150.00.

Looking back, I now know that it is illegal to have a credit account under 18? Which makes me think it must of required a minimum age which I probably entered in order to receive the dress. Anyway, being younger and stupid, my mum asked if she could buy a few things using the account which I agreed to, not really thinking into it or about the future. She informed me that she'd pay it all back and as I didn't want the account (didn't buy from Very regularly) I just left it to her.

Things happened at home and I stopped talking to my mum and was advised to move out by the police (can provide proof of this) and I moved on without even thinking about the account. Then around 3 months later I received an email from Lowell informing me that there was a debt of £270 which had been sold to them. I sent them an email in December 2011 which I received no response to. They sent me another email in April 2012 and being 18 now and understanding it more, I called them and explained my situation.

The woman stumbled over her words when I told her my date of birth was only 1994 and she informed me that the debt would be investigated for the account being used illegally. She told me they'd sent many letters to my Mum's address which I obviously never saw, so I gave her my new address so they could keep me updated. I then never heard from then again, and still haven't.

I've now come to apply for credit and been refused so I signed up to Experian and saw that I have a default on my score from 2011, from Lowell. I work in HR and have monthly income, and have done for the past 2.5 years. I pay my car insurance and phone bill every month without fail and so it's frustrating that I haven't even had a chance to obtain credit. (I'm aware that low age etc. is bad for credit too, but obviously having a default at 18 is bad!)

Is there anything I can do to get this removed from my name? I don't really have a clue about this stuff so any help you could give me would be great!

Thanks

Laura

Well, the account was used fraudulently, and it seems your mum used it. Ill ask an admin to pop the thread in the credit agencies forum.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Make sure you get written confirmation from the company you applied credit for, that it was the default that caused the decline. If/when you get the default removed, you could be entitled to compensation too.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi welcome to CAG,

A Difficult situation, the default is properly placed and the debt is in your name getting this removed is going to be very difficult.

Lowell just leaning this as a default is odd.

Please do not discuss anything with Lowell my phone.

I suggest the following letter to The Compliance Manager at Lowell,

Ref: if you have one.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I write in reference to the default entry place on my credit file in relation to an account with Very (send screen print of the CRA file entry) having spoken to a member of Lowells staff back in xxx xxxx I was told that this account would be investigated as I was only 16 years old at the inception of the account and was not entitled to have a credit account I have heard nothing since.

Given this situation I do not acknowledge any debt to Lowell or any company you may claim to represent, as the account was misused by a member of my family after I moved from my parental home and I did not receive any correspondence reatding the assignment of the alleged debt to Lowell.

This default entry is causing a considerable problem as I am now 18 years old and have been refused credit, I consider that it is unfair to maintain this default entry which will hamper my ability to obtain credit until 2017 a difficult situation for a young person today.

As Lowell had stated that this matter would be investigated for illegal use and have failed to contact me again regarding this I believe that this is further unfair treatment.

Now if you can reasonably afford to make a payment and want to do so use this section.

I am able to make an offer in full and final settlement of the debt as a gesture of good will and without admission of any liability I offer the sum of £xx on condition that Lowell remove all adverse data from any credit reference agency files that the account has been reported to.

This offer remains open for 7 working days after which I shall seek other methods to remove the default entry.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thread moved to correct forum as requested.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D