Fraudelent activity results me in debt! Big mess

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Basically, About 3 months ago, phone contracts were fraudulently taken out ON NEARLY EVERY UK NETWORK under my name using cloned copies of my bank card and provisional I.D, i knew nothing about this. I didn't get any contract introduction letters, I just started getting a heap of letters from phone companies threatening me for money, from £30 - £200.

My mum and I instantly reported the fraudelent activity to the phone companies and they said they would investigate into the matter and shortly contact me.

After some time, T-Mobile & Vodafone decided to close the accounts as they said these contracts had been fraudulently taken out.

Although, it isnt over, 3 network and O2 refuse to close these accounts as they are claiming that it was me that took out the phone contracts and my real bank card and i.d was used so therefore it cannot be closed.

Despite my mother writing letters to O2 and 3, attaching the letters of t mobile and Vodafone stating that yes, these are fraudulent accounts, they STILL REFUSE to close the accounts.

My mum and I recently went into the 3 branch where the phones were taken out in London and spoke to the manager. He claims they don't keep CCTV for more than 30 days. We then requested for the papers which the [problem]ster signed to distinguish his handwriting from mine but till this day we havent recieved anything.

O2 have now increased the debt from £200 to £2000 and today I received a POWER2CONTACT slip saying that they want to discuss the issue with me.

T MOBILE AND VODAFONE were great help, but it seems like o2 and 3 want to suck money out of me for something I didnt do.

Im a young man, im only 18, still young and i dont need this mess in my life, where do i go from here? :???:

Anyone that can advise, please help. I beg you. I dont even mind blessing some one with a small fee if their advice actually brings me out of this mess!

Thanks

You need to get the police involved and give them as much evidence as you can. Make sure to get a crime number. That is the absolute most important part. Once the police are involved and you have the crime number, you can force the comapnies to close the accounts and stop harassing you. All contact then should be directed to the police and not to you while the criminal investigation is underway.

Do NOT try and go it alone. Identity theft is a very serious criminal offence.

Again, get it reported to the police, get a crime number and the police can request that the accounts are closed/suspended, or authorise you to do so.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It's never too late. Get it reported. In this case, your life really does depend on it. Some people leave it for years before they report it, because normally nobody bothers to check their credit history, and good fraudsters get false addresses to send mail to, so the innocent person never finds out.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It shouldn't be too late to report it to the police. You should also read through the information on identity theft on the Action Fraud website: their help line is a great resource also.

You mentioned a cloned card. Did you report this to your bank? If so get written confirmation from them to put the payment method into doubt. If you didn't report it, why not? You must report it now.

Also did you confirm if the payment utilised chip and pin? The ID requirements differ depending on whether chip and pin is used, and you may be able to prove that O2/Three failed to implement sufficient protections against ID theft.

How do you think the fraudster got your provisional licence? Did you recently lose you wallet or have it stolen? If so did you inform the DVLA or file a report with the police or your insurance company? Bringing the validity of the ID into question will help.

It shouldn't be too late to report it to the police. You should also read through the information on identity theft on the Action Fraud website: their help line is a great resource also.

You mentioned a cloned card. Did you report this to your bank? If so get written confirmation from them to put the payment method into doubt. If you didn't report it, why not? You must report it now.

Also did you confirm if the payment utilised chip and pin? The ID requirements differ depending on whether chip and pin is used, and you may be able to prove that O2/Three failed to implement sufficient protections against ID theft.

How do you think the fraudster got your provisional licence? Did you recently lose you wallet or have it stolen? If so did you inform the DVLA or file a report with the police or your insurance company? Bringing the validity of the ID into question will help.

Yes I have reported to my bank. And yes they did use chip and pin, I always had my card and licence with me so this is 100% cloned copies. I have lost my wallet in the past before, my debit card but not license. 3 and o2 kept blagging on about how they have sophisticated hardware to detect fake i.d but its obvious they dont due to the mess im in now.

Ask your bank for written confirmation regarding your cards and copy it to O2 and Three. Write to them and say that they are facilitating identity fraud, have failed to provide you with any assistance and that you are filing (or have filed) a police report.

Personally, I wouldn't wait any longer to file a police report and would encourage you to file even if O2/Three cooperate in the end.

Did you ask the store manager if they took a copy of the ID used? If they did, ask for a copy (use an SAR if necessary) as it may clearly be a fake ID or not even you in the photo. Also chase up on the contract you were promised but never received.

You must report this to the Police immediately, [this morning isn't too soon], then straight to the the Bank, to get new cards issued.

If you leave it, other frauds may be carried out, in your name, using the same method.

Sam

Edited by sameagle
added the word "to"

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

Hello there.

It is down to the networks to investigate this fraud in accordance with the fraud act 2006. If they refuse to investigate then you should go through their formal complaints procedure and then on to the ombusman.

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

Some good info here too:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Hello,

May i make a suggestion, when did you last use your card and where, then when did the tranactions for the phones take place?

As in previous posts report this to the police for a log/crime number.

Then tell police you want this investigating with the upmost urgency.

I concur with sequenci.

Hope this is of help.