We cant afford food... Please help me sort this mess

the_pest
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That same argument has been tried by thousands of Home Educating families. When I was educating my children myself the cost of a senior school place was £4300 and yet the Government won't even give vouchers or anything towards education books/equiptment/trips/GCSE exams etc. you have to pay for it all yourself. You either take the education on offer by the Government or foot the cost yourself. I guess here they are saying to 16 year olds that statistically you will do better long term if you get as much education as possible so don't make benefits easily available to under 18 year olds.

As for dd's friend, she signed up to a child care course and is quite enjoying it and aims to work in that field now.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much what went through my mind. When I was that age, most of us were only too glad to escape school at 16 and couldn't wait! All my further education I did in later life when I was more able and fitting to do it.

Likewise, I left school at 16 with little or no qualifications. 11 years of education and what to show for it. I hated every year!!

Then after I had 'done my thing' and started to look at my future (23) I was then ready for education.

Eventually managed to get my Law degree, then went to Chester College of Law, then eventually I became a fully qualifed solicitor.

Now 6 years later and two kids, I have never had the chance to use it, but at least I proved to everyone that the 'slapper' at 16 was now educated!

Not everyone wants to carry on at college until 18!

When I was at school you could leave at 15 if you wanted. First visit was to the employment exchange to get registered and look for a job. Back then it wasn't unusual to be sent straight from registering, to attend your first job interview. At that young age we were financially independent and responsible for paying money back into the household. Helped teach us how to budget as well.

I started my carpentry apprenticeship at 15 years and three months, where I was the general skivvy, all round gofer, and the lowest form of life for the first six months. On reflection I wished I had stayed on at school.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

woow so many replys guys thanks :-)..okies will look into the food bank idea as suggested we have one near us but we boarder a shire and the FB is in the other shire so might not help..typical but will give it ago anyway, had a chat to both my lads and one has said he is interested in college (for his own future as well as to help this mess) in public services..gonna ring tomorrow , the other isnt very academically minded so said he really wants to get a job if poss and is out looking for anything he can get ..i dont want to forse my lads into doing something they dont want to but needs must as they say which sounds horrid as a parent putting money above everthing but we need money to live so its a horrid situation at present..again ty for all your replys and advice

So sorry to hear what you and your boys are going through. The only thing I can suggest is emailing your MP; they may be able to get your loan repayments lowered. When my partner's ESA was being messed up, our MP sorted it within days. Please don't give up hope, and give my best wishes to your boys, they sound like fine young men.

That is exactly what the problem is. unfortunately it seems that these two lads would sooner find work than go back to college. They should have a choice - it costs the taxpayer money to fund their further education so why aren't they able to claim an amount that they are saving the country by not going to college? Maybe they are not academic and want to find work to support mum.

Surely they should have a choice. Not every child wants to go to college, some just can't hack it and some don't see the point in it. For the government to blackmail them into college is totally wrong.

I left school three weeks after my 16th birthday as I had had enough of it.

The government have tried using the carrot - offering weekly payments if they went to school or college, but that was stopped last year. Now they are using the big stick!!

Totally disgusting. Where are the freedoms of choice in this country?

I also have teenage children & they either got a job or went on to further education , I do sympathise with you but your boys need to help the situation too .

As Estelly posted, your sons need to go to their local Connection facility and discuss what options they have, the adviser at Connexions will determine if there is any grounds to claim JSA as an under 18 claim.

Yes if a parent is on a low income then they can be onsidered for Severe Hardship claims but they may need to consider returning to education at the local college or they may not be eligible to claim for any financial assistance.

If following the meeting at Connexions there is grounds to claim identified then they will be issued wioth form ES9 to attend the local JCP where an appiointment wil be set up with an under 18 adviser to set up and agree a realistic Job Seeking Agreement.

I'm pretty sure that from next summer, education is compulsory up to age 18 so this is the final year they can leave at 16

Yep, my daughter is in year 11 now, hers was the first year that wont be leaving next year & I do not mind admitting that I am glad!!! She is nowhere near ready for work, she is borderline Aspergers. I am self employed single parent with less than 100 pounds a week profit from my business, I am already panicking about when my son leaves 6th form when he's 18 next year as money will take a nose dive.

Hopefully I will be able to find another job by then.

I feel so worried about the OP here :-( It must be completely awful to go through. And I certainly wouldn't expect my 2 to move out & 'look after themselves' the moment they leave school. That DWP employee needs re training coming out with something as unrealistic as THAT!!

Surely the benefit people can see that expecting the loan to be paid back at that level is impossible....is there no poverty line anymore? I would also look into changing the power supplier,,I have 4 adults living here,I'm home nearly all the time and my electric is only £10 pw on the key. I hope the OP gets the help she needs,bless her :(

Lillibelle

I only know what I know cos I know it,I only give advice,I'm not legally trained nor do I pretend to be.

is there no poverty line anymore?

Yes, and OP was already way under it before any money was deducted. Benefit rates are on average about 2/3 of what is considered the poverty line.

The government state that a benefit is the minimum a person needs to live on. Thing is it does not seem to be based on any formula. For example I beleive the amount a couple needs to live on is about £111, a couple under 25 need even less, yet a single person over the state retirement age for women needs more! Makes no sense at all.

I mean how can a couple, age 59 & 60, need less to live on than a single person of 64?

Edited by count orlok

Quick update guy..1st ty for ALL replys x.. okies my lad went to connection to see the under 18's adviser..he now has been given a place in a Achedemy/school to re-take his English and Math G.C.S.E also has been sorted a £40.00 a week payment to help with this and also looking into Income support for him due to hardship..also been told now he is in Full time education starting tomorrow i can re-claim child benifit n child tax for him...so things looking up here thank fully...also the Crissis loan has been stopped untill they re assess the level they are taking it per week..they still took 2 weeks payments so my JSA was reduced this time but they couldnt do anything about that as it was already sanctioned...but things are looking brighter at the mo thanks all x

Quick update guy..1st ty for ALL replys x.. okies my lad went to connection to see the under 18's adviser..he now has been given a place in a Achedemy/school to re-take his English and Math G.C.S.E also has been sorted a £40.00 a week payment to help with this and also looking into Income support for him due to hardship..also been told now he is in Full time education starting tomorrow i can re-claim child benifit n child tax for him...so things looking up here thank fully...also the Crissis loan has been stopped untill they re assess the level they are taking it per week..they still took 2 weeks payments so my JSA was reduced this time but they couldnt do anything about that as it was already sanctioned...but things are looking brighter at the mo thanks all x

Great news. Remember he can either get income support or you can get child benefit and tax credits - not both options. Financially its best for you to claim child benefit and child tax credits. Him claiming income support would immediately stop your child benefit and tax credits for him.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Yes, and OP was already way under it before any money was deducted. Benefit rates are on average about 2/3 of what is considered the poverty line.

The government state that a benefit is the minimum a person needs to live on. Thing is it does not seem to be based on any formula. For example I beleive the amount a couple needs to live on is about £111, a couple under 25 need even less, yet a single person over the state retirement age for women needs more! Makes no sense at all.

I mean how can a couple, age 59 & 60, need less to live on than a single person of 64?

Yes it is a bit wierd isn't it. Anyone currently over 61 is entitled to the single rate of £142.70 and if they are in a couple where only one of them is over 61 (the other maybe 50!!) they would get £217.90. Yet for a single person under 61 would get £71.00 and for a couple £111.45.

For the life of me it makes no sense that as soon as someone gets over the 61 'bridge' their income doubles!!! Why??? Pensioners need less money to live on than young people - and that's a fact. I know my mum & dad manage easilly on what they get and I would struggle.

Yes it is a bit wierd isn't it. Anyone currently over 61 is entitled to the single rate of £142.70 and if they are in a couple where only one of them is over 61 (the other maybe 50!!) they would get £217.90. Yet for a single person under 61 would get £71.00 and for a couple £111.45.

For the life of me it makes no sense that as soon as someone gets over the 61 'bridge' their income doubles!!! Why??? Pensioners need less money to live on than young people - and that's a fact. I know my mum & dad manage easilly on what they get and I would struggle.

Don't worry they'll soon put a stop to that. Under UC people who have worked all their life and paid taxes and NI will now find they lose everything because they have a younger partner.

I know what you mean about getting more money later on in life. My elderly aunt gets £240 per week she is 94 she has no mortgage no council tax as she gets pension credit, she hardly spends any just leaves it all in the bank, says all her life she struggled now she is old has far too much cash each week.

Am I missiing a point here? Food is a problem yet you still have broadband..................Please make me understand 'cause I'm very confused......

We're not here to criticise people who come here for for help. Do you have anything helpful to say?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

wasn't trying to upset anyone.........was trying to understand priorities............on that note I won't comment again on this thread. Good luck 'pest' hope all works out for you x

Yes Yes, I'm weird. I tried being normal once, was the most boring 5 minutes of my life!:madgrin:

Blow it! I'll prob get thrown out of the forum for this but yeah I've been down a road similar to this and have sold almost everything Even the kids toys to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. Computers, ,broadband, sentimental jewellery, tv's etc you name it it's been sold to raise funds at some point. So don't go down your do gooding ways til you've been there! Charity starts at home and you can't help someone if they don't help themselves. Sorry peeps but sometimes you gotta say it how it is .

• Confused 1

Yes Yes, I'm weird. I tried being normal once, was the most boring 5 minutes of my life!:madgrin:

These days broadband has joined a long list of new fangled inventions that have grown into household essentials, the fridge, the freezer, the washing machine etc. For many of us the internet is all but the sole social interaction we have, particularly so if you are housebound or virtually so. I see no issue with it having the same priority as so many things that we would find difficult to live without.

EDIT: Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about the telly!

Broadband is an essential outgoing, I mean without it you won't even be able to get benefits in the near future let alone use your bank account and do the shopping when the DWP make you housebound by taking away your DLA.

Even the government consider it an essential for modern living, hence their desire for everyone to have it.

Blow it! I'll prob get thrown out of the forum for this but yeah I've been down a road similar to this and have sold almost everything Even the kids toys to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. Computers, ,broadband, sentimental jewellery, tv's etc you name it it's been sold to raise funds at some point. So don't go down your do gooding ways til you've been there! Charity starts at home and you can't help someone if they don't help themselves. Sorry peeps but sometimes you gotta say it how it is .

No, you won't get thrown out for these remarks, unless you make a habit of it. But you're not helping, and helping is what we're here to do. So please consider your comments more carefully.

People come here to ask specific questions about their situations, and to seek advice about the benefits system. If they wanted crass, simplistic lectures that offer no useful advice whatsoever, there's always the Daily Mail comments section.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4255 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks