Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These might be useful (hope I'm allowed to enter the links?) for Income & Expenditure suggestions...

Debt Advice - Completing an Income and Expenditure Statement

Time to Pay: Completing Income & Expenditure forms

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

2ltr,

Suggest you phone back FOS tomorrow and howl down the phone. I did - quite genuinelyI assure you as I was totally shocked - and they were really helpful. Maybe you got someone unhelpful on a bad day (theirs, not yours).

They are not allowed to take benefits.

Good luck.

DDxx

These might be useful (hope I'm allowed to enter the links?) for Income & Expenditure suggestions...

Debt Advice - Completing an Income and Expenditure Statement

Time to Pay: Completing Income & Expenditure forms

Michael

Oooo, yummy, thank you:p I have bookmarked them:p The 2nd one agrees with my housekeeping budget:p I am rather shrifty in most ways and only extravegant in a few :grin:

Those are both good I&E examples, IS. The 2nd one reflects the housekeeping budget a little more realistically than some I have seen. I think I would like to see one based on MPs' expenditure though:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Those are both good I&E examples, IS. The 2nd one reflects the housekeeping budget a little more realistically than some I have seen. I think I would like to see one based on MPs' expenditure though:D

Hehe, well it seems the MP's (including the well respected PM) will be receiving their letters today. They will have to warrant the amounts found to be 'inadvertantly claimed' or pay back. There again any of us would have a 30% penalty slammed on them by the DWP but I bet the terms for MP's are different! :roll::evil:

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,can anyone help with my problem with Nationwide?

I was turned down with my financial hardship claim,while the claim was being investigated they re-imbursed any charges that came up(X3).They went 2 weeks over the 8 weeks they had to resolve the claim so i complained to the FOS.

Nationwide claim to have sent a letter turning me down(still after the 8 weeks though)but this was never received.They said the decision to re-imburse must have been taken a the local branch and to take it up with them.

In the meantime they resumed taking charges from the account,they even intend to take one standing order charge they had previously re- imbursed .We had no warning they intended to do this.

When I phoned and explained the situation and that they would be taking benefit money we could not afford they said that they were sorry the letter didn't arrive and that they stood by the decision and would be taking the £90 regardless of wether it was benefit money or not.

There's seems to be nothing to stop them,the money won't be in the account and we will be charged another £20 as the charges will make us overdrawn.

I need help to draft another letter of complaint.

Edited by greendollar

Hi,can anyone help with my problem with Nationwide?

I was turned down with my financial hardship claim,while the claim was being investigated they re-imbursed any charges that came up(X3).They went 2 weeks over the 8 weeks they had to resolve the claim so i complained to the FOS.

Nationwide claim to have sent a letter turning me down(still after the 8 weeks though)but this was never received.They said the decision to re-imburse must have been taken a the local branch and to take it up with them.

In the meantime they resumed taking charges from the account,they even intend to take one standing order charge they had previously re- imbursed .We had no warning they intended to do this.

When I phoned and explained the situation and that they would be taking benefit money we could not afford they said that they were sorry the letter didn't arrive and that they stood by the decision and would be taking the £90 regardless of wether it was benefit money or not.

There's seems to be nothing to stop them,the money won't be in the account and we will be charged another £20 as the charges will make us overdrawn.

I need help to draft another letter of complaint.

Sorry to hear what has happened to you. I only too well know that feeling.

Firstly it might be a good idea to open a basic bank account with another bank. I know that LloydsTSB and the Co-Operative will open the account over the phone with a starting zero balance.

With regards to your hardship claim it should be understood that whatever their decision is the end result is only voluntary. I was unaware that there were time limits regarding financial hardship claims due to the 'stay' being in position over unfair bank charges.

You'll need to cancel any standing orders and either come to an agreement with whoever they are for or transfer them to a new bank account. Basic bank accounts do not allow overdrafts and it might be wise to make sure it does not have a possibility of happening.

Reading your post, did you actually visit the local branch at all and discuss all the problems with them? The charges would not have been implemented at the time of the overdraft but at a later date in the month. Shame on their attitude of apologising for the letter not arriving but still charging you.

None too sure if my reply is helpful but I think you really need to open a parachute (basic) account elsewhere. When I had problem I stopped all the S/O's I had. The chances are that after 6 failed S/O payments they'll close your account.

Michael

Just one thing that worries me is we are advising that we transfer bank accounts but with the goverment pressuring ppl on benefits to use banks or postoffice accounts why do we not promote the post office account and show the banks with OUR money what we think of them.

PO accounts cant have DDs go over drawn or anything which is a bonus as far as i am concerned as this way you can get any changes

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Just one thing that worries me is we are advising that we transfer bank accounts but with the goverment pressuring ppl on benefits to use banks or postoffice accounts why do we not promote the post office account and show the banks with OUR money what we think of them.

PO accounts cant have DDs go over drawn or anything which is a bonus as far as i am concerned as this way you can get any changes

Somewhere there's comment about the DWP and using Post Offices. If I recall correctly that benefit payments into Post Office accounts is around £1 (each) whereas to a bank account it's aroud 20p. There was the statement that benefits and pensions be paid into bank accounts rather than Post Office accounts. In fact with a Post Office account you cannot use ATM's and the card you get is for handing over the counter and nothing else. You also have the Post Office problem with general useage.

Personally I'd go for basic bank accounts. You get to use ATM's and can operate them from home on the net.

Michael

Does the letter of appropriation/Social Security Act work where the charges have already been taken out, and an Incap Benefit payment is due? They would have to remove the charges as the Incap payment is less than the bank charges. Would this then set a precedent, whereby I could then claim back all the other bank charges they have taken out of my benefit over the last 3 years?

Does the letter of appropriation/Social Security Act work where the charges have already been taken out, and an Incap Benefit payment is due? They would have to remove the charges as the Incap payment is less than the bank charges. Would this then set a precedent, whereby I could then claim back all the other bank charges they have taken out of my benefit over the last 3 years?

With respect and whilst it might seem a useful course to take, I can imagine the reaction. Whilst we all believe (incuding me for sure) that charges are on the whole unfair it would be probably not a prudent course to say that 'hey you cannot charge me anything because of my situation'. For example when I walk down the road and see someone has parked on double yellow lines. I see a disabled sticker on their dashboard only to find that the people returning are not the people it was issued to but probably helpers using it for their own benefit.

At the end of the day a bank is a commercial financial institution. Not a registered charity (they wish!) but nonethe less a commercial profit making entity. That reflects in that if you go overdrawn without authority a charge would be made and will never be free whatever the outcome of the 'stay'. To use individual because of special needs really reflects that yes, in certain circumstances it's fine but to simply take unfair advantage would reflect otherwise.

Nothing wrong in tryin the concept out though. One never knows til they ask or challenge. Personally I'm currently unemployed, no overdraft anymore and anyhow a different bank and having experienced the past will never go overdrawn again no matter what the final outcome is. I, for one feels badly treated in the way I received calls from around the world giving me a seriously hard time. That will never happen again in this kind of situation.

Michael

The situation is, that the charges are greater than the benefit due to be paid in and I have to find money to pay for my medication. I'm putting in a hardship application and also a right of appropriation letter. I was wondering if the appropriation of inalienable funds covers charges already on my account.

I have a basic bank account with no overdraft facility but that won't stop me going overdrawn when they try to take their £90 in charges out of my account and it won't stop them charging me £20 for going overdrawn because I don't have the cash to cover them.I've tried telling them but they don't listen.

The situation is, that the charges are greater than the benefit due to be paid in and I have to find money to pay for my medication. I'm putting in a hardship application and also a right of appropriation letter. I was wondering if the appropriation of inalienable funds covers charges already on my account.

I see no reason why the bank could not confirm a financial hardship rapidly. Weather they will is another matter and remember whatever they do is voluntary on their part even though they follow guidelines. The current 'stay' allows them to hold back so any County Court action will most likely have no effect because of it. You should however, put a claim with the bank for repayment of (probably) unfair charges if you've not already done that. There's a lot on the site here that explains this.

With regards to medication this link might be helpful: Prepayment of NHS prescription charges : Department of Health - Health care

Michael

I have a basic bank account with no overdraft facility but that won't stop me going overdrawn when they try to take their £90 in charges out of my account and it won't stop them charging me £20 for going overdrawn because I don't have the cash to cover them.I've tried telling them but they don't listen.

If this were me I'd visit the branch and speak to them promising never to go overdrawn again - this might well be the best practice. The problem as I mentioned previously is that in all probability they'll (I'll add) close 'any' account if D/D's or S/O's fail around 6 times.

Someone might have a better idea? Hopefully my suggestion will work and if you feel uneasy take someone with you.

Michael

Perhaps thats what their game is,they resumed taking charges without warning.......feel like i've been stitched up big time because i mentioned the FOS.Still got an appointment with my CAB advisor,she was disapointed ,don't think thats the right word,that my claim under the financial hardship waiver was unsuccessful given all the evidence i presented to Nationwide.

No good going to the branch or talking to Nationwide anymore,they know full well what my situation is and how these charges are going to have a serious effect to meet current commitments and look after my family.

I know exactly how you feel. My bank is so mean they charged me £22 for going £2.36 into my reserve for five hours. The woman I spoke to had never heard of the term "usury".

This morning I transferred in the money to pay for my mortgage by debit card. The credit card company has used offset three times this year and although I've got it back every time by calling FOS immediately, those few minutes between transferring in the funds and doing the debit card payment have me shaking like a leaf every time. Today their systems were down and I was told to call back this afternoon, and I was so nervous I transferred it out again, and then back in again. Then, just 10 minutes later they said it wouldn't go through, and I thought they'd snatched it. Fortunately though, that was just a mistake and it went through at their second attempt.

Honestly though, you couldn't make it up. I don't really believe that someone is looking at a little screen monitoring my account all day and every day but it sometimes feels like that. :eek:

I know exactly how you feel. My bank is so mean they charged me £22 for going £2.36 into my reserve for five hours. The woman I spoke to had never heard of the term "usury".

This morning I transferred in the money to pay for my mortgage by debit card. The credit card company has used offset three times this year and although I've got it back every time by calling FOS immediately, those few minutes between transferring in the funds and doing the debit card payment have me shaking like a leaf every time. Today their systems were down and I was told to call back this afternoon, and I was so nervous I transferred it out again, and then back in again. Then, just 10 minutes later they said it wouldn't go through, and I thought they'd snatched it. Fortunately though, that was just a mistake and it went through at their second attempt.

Honestly though, you couldn't make it up. I don't really believe that someone is looking at a little screen monitoring my account all day and every day but it sometimes feels like that. :eek:

Nope they don't look at that little screen all day but they know someone who does. A silent bit of computer software spots something and (if it were human) grins, saying 'got you' and here's my charge!

I know that feeling of the heart sinking when someone says, 'Sorry, it won't go through' with me asking them to try again. Personally I've changed the way I do things so those type of events can (in theory) never happen again.

'greendollar' - I think it's worth a last try as the branch?

Michael

Edited by InformedSearcher
typo's solved

Not much point Micheal,unfortunately i've found the banks/dca's don't want to listen,they just want as much money as they can grab regardless of someone's financial situation....it usually takes a trip to the CAB who can get straight through to the people in these organisations that can actually make a decision.I've lost count of the number of times my advisor has torn into these people and made them back down.

Thank you, Michael, I wondered how the vultures swooped on a particular day. I have a feeling they check on balances first thing in the morning to see what you have got. They have been sooooo pi**ed off when they have had to give the money back. (It looked really good for them when they took the child benefit.)

Greendollar, I'm glad you have a good CAB advisor. You must be able to meet priority debts before any card companies. You can either ignore the DCAs, or tell them "everything in writing", but if you can bear to talk to them you need to be prepared and quote the law at them. When I joined CAG about a year ago my phone never stopped ringing. I've still got all the card companies wanting money, but I hardly ever get a call now (usually only after the card company has changed DCA) and I can usually see them off after one call. I know not everyone wants to do that, but it does work if you can. This wonderful site teaches you how to cope.

Where are you now? Sorry I haven't read any of your threads.

DD

My bank have been doing it for 6 years now and boy, are they going to get a shock when they get my claim:D

I once phoned them to plead not to put charges through and queried why 6 debits get put through first and subsequently get bounced and charged for prior to a credit, all on the same day, and was told it's the way the computer's programmed:D:D:D

I am trying to cope as a carer being ripped off for hundreds by my bank and I seem to be barred from getting a basic bank account with any bank. I've applied with several banks including my own and because of a CCJ I erroniously have - am fighting that - and I am turned down for them - apparently I am barred and was questioned as to whether my driving licence was my own. Feel like I'm being treated as a criminal. :(

I am trying to cope as a carer being ripped off for hundreds by my bank and I seem to be barred from getting a basic bank account with any bank. I've applied with several banks including my own and because of a CCJ I erroniously have - am fighting that - and I am turned down for them - apparently I am barred and was questioned as to whether my driving licence was my own. Feel like I'm being treated as a criminal. :(

Hello Vampyra and welcome.

Okay first you really need to get the CRA (Credit Reference Agency) data. It'll be £2 for each of the three CRA's or there are on line free trials. There's more info. on this site to give you further details if you have a search for it. The files must be showing something very serious for the type of replies you mention above. Have you tried the Co-Operative bank for a Basic Cash account - you can call them and open one with a zero balance?

Untill you get those CRA reports it's a bit difficult to go much further. One thing is, that if they are showing erroneous data then you can enter disputes about it. From what you say it does seem probable that this has occured.

Michael