Capital one- Refusal of PPI Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, so up to now i havent gone to the fos as i was awaiting the SAR to calculate whats owed. Iv now recieved the SAR but im unsure as to which of the templates i should be using to calculate.

Any help much appreciated.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you in advance

This is the spreadsheet to use for a credit card account

FosRunningPPI v102.xls

Make sure you read the notes in the "Notes Tab"

• Confused 1

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the spreadsheet to use for a credit card account

[ATTACH]39231[/ATTACH]

Make sure you read the notes in the "Notes Tab"

Hi,

Iv entered all my info.

Only thing im unsure of is what do i put for the interest rate.

Would it help if i uploaded my workings?

The interest rate you use is the one that they were charging you on the card.

If the rate changed over time then use the average of rates they were charging.

When completed yes, you can post up your sheet but make sure there are no personal details on it.

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

Yes looks OK to me

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

Yes looks OK to me

I'm amazed its that much! Not complaining though.

So I assume I send a copy of that along with my original claim questionaire to the fos? Recorded delivery or is there a way to do it via Email?

Thanks again for your help thus far.

If it were me I would do it to both Capital One and fos.

If you are raising a complaint with fos you also need to send them copies of all of the correspondence you have sent to and received from Cap One.

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again.

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not but have put it here and will see.

Finally received some correspondence from HSBC, however not a SAR. They've sent me this letter:

Thank you for your recent letter in which you have requested info regarding agreements with HSBC.

Say they tried to contact me(I believe this is rubbish) say as they have been unable to speak to me directly and so not to delay matters further, I would like to provide you with info which I've assumed is likely to be in relation to obtaining details of your HSBC ppi policies.

Please find a list of policies held and relevant start dates.

Then after that they say please note my response is solely in relation to applicable HSBC loans with ppi. Other products will be dealt with via relevant department and will follow in due course.

The £10 cheque (was a postal order) as been destroyed. I can confirm we will not charge for the provision of this info.

If as a result of receiving info you feel you'd like to make a ppi complaint please write to address below with reasons.

Additionally a fos question will do.

Should you require a data subject access request please write and in close £10.

So my questions are do I have all the info to make a ppi claim? Do I not need to know how much I'm claiming? Do I get a postal order refund if they've destroyed it?

Thanks for any help, it's all very much appreciated.

Edited by Richhhhshel

• 2 months later...

You are only tied to a 6 month deadline if you have actually made a claim to the bank and they have either rejected your claim or have intentionally delayed it.

Have you already made a claim to the bank ?

It sounds as though they have been messing you around with the SAR. It is not for them to "assume" that is the reason you require the SAR - so you should write and advise the following.

1: They had no right to assume that you were requesting data solely for the purpose of making a claim for PPI.

2: As this wasnt the case then you are requiring them to comply with your request immediately.

3: You had already made a legitimate SAR request and enclosed the statutory fee. It was they who decided to presume and they who destroyed the cheque enclosed. Therefore, you now enclose a further cheque, however the time to fulfill your request is still the mandatory 40 calendar days from the time you first submitted your request.

Send the letter by either recorded or special delivery.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You are only tied to a 6 month deadline if you have actually made a claim to the bank and they have either rejected your claim or have intentionally delayed it.

Have you already made a claim to the bank ?

It sounds as though they have been messing you around with the SAR. It is not for them to "assume" that is the reason you require the SAR - so you should write and advise the following.

1: They had no right to assume that you were requesting data solely for the purpose of making a claim for PPI.

2: As this wasnt the case then you are requiring them to comply with your request immediately.

3: You had already made a legitimate SAR request and enclosed the statutory fee. It was they who decided to presume and they who destroyed the cheque enclosed. Therefore, you now enclose a further cheque, however the time to fulfill your request is still the mandatory 40 calendar days from the time you first submitted your request.

Send the letter by either recorded or special delivery.

First of all thank you very much for your reply.

However I think I may have waisted your time.

I now know why I was told to start a new thread for a different claim altogether. My apologies.

I sent a claim to capital one back in August and it is with this that I believe iv missed the 6 months period.

Thanks again

Telephone the Financial Ombudsman first thing in the morning and say you didnt quite understand what you needed to do. They should give you a claim reference over the telephone. So long as you arent too slow in getting the claim in, they might accept a couple of days late.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Telephone the Financial Ombudsman first thing in the morning and say you didnt quite understand what you needed to do. They should give you a claim reference over the telephone. So long as you arent too slow in getting the claim in, they might accept a couple of days late.

I will do that first thing.

Just incase they don't accept that, what would be my options?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...

So my mum got a phone call from the ombudsman today saying they wouldn't be upholding her claim.

Reasons being that PPI wasnt taken during the online application but added 7 days later during the activation call. They claim that as there is no call recordings there making the decision based on a script that the telephone operator would of used and that the script stated that it was optional.

Can anyone please advise is it worth pursuing further? We have 21 days from today to appeal the decision.

Definitely worth an appeal to the Ombudsman, pointing out that no call recording exists however Capital One have already acknowledged that the call was non-compliant and that Capital One was fined £3 million by the FSA for mis-selling PPI between Jan 2005 and April 2006.

Given this it is astonishing but sadly not surprising that the adjudicator has found against you. Make sure that you get back to them within the 21 days as FOS are quick to close down cases to get them of their books - it appears that they are currently more concerned with quantity of decisions over quality

Thanks for your response. I will certainly take it further. 1 point he mentioned is that we put down that ppi was taken online as my mum believed it to be but they say ppi was added later after the activation call. Can they refuse it based on my mums uncertainty?

Thanks for your response. I will certainly take it further. 1 point he mentioned is that we put down that ppi was taken online as my mum believed it to be but they say ppi was added later after the activation call. Can they refuse it based on my mums uncertainty?

It would significantly weaken your argument in Capital One's eyes if your mum is wrong about how she took the product. After all if she can't even remember how it was sold,how can she complain about the way it was sold?

As for FOS, they'll look at the arguments and evidence from both sides and decide what they think is the most likely sequence of events.

You have nothing to lose by asking for an Ombudsman to review the decision. But don't get your hopes up - they don't often overturn an adjudicator's decision and Capital One have a low uphold rate at FOS in any case.

Definitely worth an appeal to the Ombudsman, pointing out that no call recording exists however Capital One have already acknowledged that the call was non-compliant and that Capital One was fined £3 million by the FSA for mis-selling PPI between Jan 2005 and April 2006.

Given this it is astonishing but sadly not surprising that the adjudicator has found against you. Make sure that you get back to them within the 21 days as FOS are quick to close down cases to get them of their books - it appears that they are currently more concerned with quantity of decisions over quality

The low uphold rate for Capital One at FOS is because of the FSA fine not despite it. They had to undertake a proactive exercise contacting customers who they felt may have been Mis-sold the cover. So most who were Mis sold it were contacted. It's likely that they also tend to give the benefit of any doubt to customers who complain about policies from this period. The ones they reject would therefore generally be the ones who were not Missold the cover.

Your mum's uncertainty is presumably because she took out her card on line and then the PPI was added on the activation call. another point that is worth adding is that your mum did not select PPI when she was able to make an informed choice filling in her online application. However a week later (presumably with no change to her circumstances) it became added to her account after an unsuitable non-compliant telephone call.

The other reason for a low uphold rate at FOS is that many Capital One cards have relatively low value claims and Capital One in common with many other lenders will pay out low value claims without investigation. i.e Capital One uphold a relatively high level of claims without FOS referral. - the overall uphold rate for all claims to Capital One is justifiably rather high.

Edited by Andybars
typo

Your mum's uncertainty is presumably because she took out her card on line and then the PPI was added on the activation call. another point that is worth adding is that your mum did not select PPI when she was able to make an informed choice filling in her online application. However a week later (presumably with no change to her circumstances) it became added to her account after ab unsuitable non-compliant telephone call.

This is a great point, I will add it to her response when we receive the letter.

Thanks for your help