2005 FORD Focus TDI - New engine required and car is under warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I hope you guys can help, i was looking on the internet for answers and found this thread "316924-2005-Ford-Focus-TDCi.-Turbo-issues-new-engine-required" (sorry cant post the link) so i thought i would start one about my problem.

I bought a used Focus from an authorised FORD dealer at the end of October '11. I took the extended warranty coverage option at a cost of approx £400 for a year. After 5 months the turbo blew and the garage replaced it with a new one as a warranty job.

about 2000 miles later it blew again and this time the garage put a new one on and changed the vacuum pump (i think) as well as do a complete flush of the engine etc etc (i think they were following that Technical bulletin referred to in the other thread this second time) The garage did this work themselves and it wasnt paid for by Ford protect under warranty. I can only assume the garage felt they hadnt done the first one right.

2000 miles turbo blows again, its now June '12 .... this time the garage told me that it would have to be a new engine and FORD technical dept agreed with the service manager on this, FORD said the engine had to be stripped and inspected, when it was inspected FORD said that it was a build up of carbon and therefore warranty wouldnt cover this.

I still havent had the issue resolved and have been without my car this whole time, although the garage did give me a courtesy car which i am still driving.

The garage was in discussions with FORD and say that FORD as a goodwill gesture have now agreed to pay for a second hand engine, they have sourced one with 65000 miles (5k more than my old one)

I said i wasnt happy with this and want a new engine, this second hand engine will come with a 3 month warranty which they say will take me beyond my warranty anyway, i have warranty cover up until september but from my perspective i had a car for 5 months of a 12 month warranty period where it worked the rest of the time the car has in effect been broken.

My questions are :

- Can FORD really do a warranty job with a second hand engine and not a new one, they say this engine will put me back to where i was but i dont see it that way, i will have an engine that i know nothing about that could break in 3 months time or have reduced power etc etc and have no protection

- where would i stand legally challenging this as the car had a full service history from FORD authorised dealer, i bought the car from same dealer, paid for extended warranty and car didnt make it to its first service and lasted 5 months before it started blowing turbos ... can i force them to give me a new engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i am getting the run around and its taking up a lot of time and causing a lot of stress. ownership of the problem seems to bounce between FORD and the dealer

cheers

john

Hi 995

Welcome to CAG

Here's some info:- http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1241.pdf

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Hi There

One things for sure, Ford, the manufacturer, would never agree to, or pay for, or even contribute to, a repair that does not use new parts.

Especially on a 2005 car which you are not the original owner of.

I can't see a used warranty company going for it either.

Who is the dealer?

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

I think the issue wanting a new engine will never happen, if Ford have a duty it is to put you back to the position you were. They would need to source a second hand engine with as close to the mileage you have done so far, I think it may be nigh on impossible to find exactly the same mileage so as close and I think 5k out is not that bad.

As for having an engine you know nothing about, wont that be the case usually when some ones buys a second hand car.

I would go for the replacement engine

The previous engine had a full Ford service history as per the OP, but OP does not know history of replacement engine. I wouldn't be very happy with a second hand engine with all a 3 month warranty. At the very least, I would expect a 12 month warranty on the replacement engine.

In my humble opinion i would push for a new engine or at least a 12 month FULL warranty on a S/H engine. The reason being that Ford know full well that there is a major problem with these engines. This smells rather like the seat belt problem on the old KA. Factory recalls would cost too much---cheaper to repair if anyone complains!!!!!