I have been caught shoplifting in Primark and MHV. Consequences please?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have made an error, I know it's wrong and I feel really ashamed. I stole at Primark and HMV and the security caught me. It's the first time they do it.

First I went to Primark and I took some clothes (36 pounds), I went out the shop without pay it and nothing happened. After that, I went to HMV and I tried to steal a headphones (30 pounds). In this case, the staff saw me by CCTV and they called to security. They discovered I had stolen in HMV and Primark. They asked me if I had any ID but, in that moment, I only had my credit card. I gave it them and they wrote down my name and I don't know if my credit card number too. They ask me where I'm from and I replied them I'm a EU citizen. And also I'm in UK on holidays for 1 month.

They gave me a letter to advise me that I'm banned from entering at HMV, not for Primark. However, they told me I couldn't entry in the commercial centre anymore. I speak a little bit of English and I didn't understand well all what they were saying. I paid with my credit card the clothes in Primark, not the headphones at HMV because they didn't let me do it. The security man went with me until the door and the told me: Don't come here anymore.

I was really nervous after this and, returning to my flat, I lost my wallet and, therefore, my credit card. To avoid other people use my credit card, I cancelled it via Internet when I arrived at home.

My questions are:

1. What's next?

2. Do I have to pay any fine (I have read about RLP - Retail Loss Prevention)?

3. Where do I have to pay the fine?

4. How are they going to contact me? Remember they only have my name and maybe my credit card number. Moreover, my credit card is out of service.

5. Are they going to send me a letter to my home (in my country, not in UK) with the details?

6. About criminal records. Am I going to have any entry due to my thefts?

7. I hope to work in UK in a near future. Will this affect to my job search?

8. Will they demand me? Will I have to go the courts to solve this?

I know stealing is wrong and NEVER AGAIN- I've learned my lesson, believe me I feel so ashamed and guilty, I WILL NEVER SHOPLIFT AGAIN. Please don't share your opinion on what I've done. It was a stupid mistake that I regret.

Please, help me with the questions, I'm really worried with this situation and I want to solve it as soon as possible.

Firstly, we aren't here to judge you. You obviously realise that stealing is wrong.

It seems that the police were not called. This means that you are innocent in the eyes of the law.

So, to your questions:

1. Probably nothing.

2. Only the criminal justice system can impose a fine. RLP may send you a letter demanding money, but it's not a fine.

3. Not applicable

4. If they don't have your address, they can't contact you.

5. If they have your address, they may, but they can't do anything.

6. No - you were not dealt with by the criminal justice system.

7. Almost certainly not.

8. No.

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm not sure if the police were not called or not, I was really scared and I didn't see who was there. When the staff discovered me, they called to security and two or three people arrived there, but I don't know if they were policeman or private security.

They have recorded my shoplifting and they have the video (CCTV). They have my name and probably my credit card number, anything more. They told me I was banned to entry on the commercial centre and something more. But my English is not the best and I did not understand them well. I'm really worried with this issue and I don't want to have any trouble with the justice of the United Kingdom. My new questions are:

1. Can they contact/find me with these data?

2. It's totally sure I don't have any criminal record? I have been reading some forums and people say that if you stole in UK you always have a criminal record. I mean CBR. In fact, if you take a look to direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Goingtocourt/DG_196034, you will can see the following information:

-- Types of cases magistrates' courts deal with --

Some offences (known as ‘summary offences’) are dealt with only by magistrates’ courts. These include:

most motoring offences

minor theft - like stealing from a shop

Then, a stealing from a shop is managed for the magistrates courts. Does this happen always or only when the police take and detain you?

3. I feel the need to go the courts and ask if all is alright. Is this necessary?

4. Should I contact with the Citizens Advice Bureau to ask them if there is any way to know if I have some fine or criminal record?

5. My main concern is if some denounce or similar is gonna arrive to the Magistrates Courts after my shoplifting. I want to be sure I'm clean. It's really important for me because I would like to work in UK in the future and I wouldn't like to have any criminal record or denounces in my history.

Many thanks for your help. It's being really useful for me.

Were you taken to the police station? If no, then you have NOTHING to worry about.

I think you are just overthinking everything. Thats what the **** at RLP want you to do, so you worry, panic and do whatever they say.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Many thanks for your answer.

No, I was not taken to the police station. The private security and the staff guy took my name and probably my credit card number, I paid the articles in Primark, and one of them went with me to the exit door. He told me that I was banned in all the shopping centre, so I musn't go back again. Then...

1. Must not I be worried for nothing?

2. Won't the Magistrates Courts receive any denounce on behalf of Primark or HMV? This question is the most important for me. I'm really worried about this.

Thanks in advance.

Again, if you were not taken to the police station by the police in a police car, then NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING will happen to you. The ONLY thing that may happen is you get some dumb letters from RLP demanding money. Simply ignore them, or use them as BBQ lighters.

You also said you went back and paid for the items, this means its 100% certain that nothing will happen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thank you very much for your responses guys. They are being very useful for me.

However, I would like to ask you some questions more:

1. I'm worried about the letter of RPL. You have said I don't have to pay any money to that company but, I don't pay the "fine", I could be denounced to the courts and start a complex legal process. I know that companies like RPL only want to take our money, and that this is not legal, but I don't want to take risks and if I receive any letter, I think that I would probably pay it.

In relation to the letter, I have some questions. As I wrote above, the people who caught me only took the first letter of my name (because in my credit card does not appear my full name), my surnames and my credit card number. My question is... Can they identify me only with these data?

Besides, I'm worried because my credit card is out of service and, if the way they use to identify people is using credit cards, they probably can not find me.

2. My main concern is the following: If the private company can not contact me, I will not receive the letter, I can not pay it and, therefore, the companies could denounce me to the courts while I'm in my country. Remember I will come back in a month. In that case, what can I do?

3. I have been reading other forums and they say that the private companies in UK have special competences and they can access to the resident information. Is this true? That is, can they identify any person only using a credit card number? To answer this question remember I'm not a UK citizen, I'm from other country of the UE.

4. And my last question (sorry for the extension) is about the Theft Act. I have read the police has a register to record the thefts. As you know some jobs require a clean history. In UK, I guess that this information is based on the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) but, my question is... Is there any relation between the CRB and the Theft Act? Would be my CRB clean after these two thefts? And the Theft Act?

Thank a lotfor help me. I would really appreciate you reply all my question, one by one.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely

If you intend to pay RLP if they write to you, even though you know you don't have to, why are you wasting our time asking the same questions again and again?

In case it wasn't clear the first time: RLP have not written to you; they probably will not write to you, ever, because they do not have your address. Only the police can affect a CRB check, as they weren't involved, you have no record.

Thanks for your response ScarletPimpernel.

I'm asking some questions about RPL because I want to have clear all the variables and solve this issue as soon as possible. I don't want more problems, I only want to sort it out.

I'm with you about it is unlikely that RPL send me a letter in the future, because they have a few data about me. But, I'm writting in the forum to know your opinion about this. And, if you know other similar cases, learn about your comments in order to chose always the best option.

Anyway, thank you very much for helping me. Your comments have a lot of value for me. I insist, thanks a lot.

totally ignore rlp you have nothing to fear

end off.

they are trying to spoof you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your response, I have clear I must not pay to RPL and after reading you, that will be what I do, that is, don't pay anything.

Anyway, I still have some unresolved doubts and I would like you give me your opinion. These doubts are the questions I wrote above.

1. Can the private security identify me only with the first letter of my name (because in my credit card does not appear my full name), my surnames and my credit card number?

I have been reading other forums and they say that the private companies in UK have special competences and they can access to the resident information. Is this true? That is... can they identify any person only using a credit card number?

To answer this question, remember that my credit card is out of service and, if the way they use to identify people is using credit cards, they probably can not find me.

2. If the private security or the company can not contact me, the companies (HMV & Primark) could denounce me to the courts while I'm in my country. Remember I am going to come back in a month. In that case, what can I do?

3. And my last question is about the Theft Act. I have read the police has a register to record the thefts. As you know some jobs require a clean history. In UK, I guess that this information is based on the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) but, my question is... Is there any relation between the CRB and the Theft Act? Would be my CRB clean after these two thefts? And what about the Theft Act?

Sorry if I'm asking the same again and again, but I like to have the things clear and I trust in you like experts who will solve my doubts.

Thank a lot for help me. I really appreciate this.

nothing to d with the police.

follow post 7.

IGNORE!!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

But I don't know if the three guys who were there are policeman or not!

FYI: I was not taken to the police station by the police in a police car. They took my credit card, they were writing some sheets that I don't know what are and they went with me until the exit door (banned) and nothing more.

My main question is: Can they identify me only with the data they took?

And about the Theft Act, I have been reading this page contactlaw.co.uk/shoplifting-and-the-law.html and it seems I'm gonna appear on the records that policeman or private secutiry companies have. Not in the CRB, because I have not been taken to the police station or the magistrates, but yes in the records of Theft Act. Is that true? What relation is there beetween Theft and CRB?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by askinforums

Look. STOP WORRYING. NOTHING will happen now. You didnt go to a police station and you didnt get charged. If the police were there, they are required by law to identify themselves and show ID.

Stop reading up on things right now, as they have no relation to your experience.

You are worrying over nothing.