Terrified and confused

BrandNewYear
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just out of the blue received a letter from a Compliance Officer asking me to attend an interview about my benefits at the Job Centre.

Does this mean they suspect me of fraud?:sad:

I have no partner or family, keep myself to myself and nobody even knows I'm on benefits so it seems unlikely anyone would have "reported" me.

I applied for ESA in 2009 for serious mental health problems. I had Atos medical, got some points but not enough. I appealed, won my appeal and got put into Work Related ESA Group in July 2010. Since then I've not heard a thing, never been invited to any Work Related interview, never been called for a new medical. This in itself seems very unusual?

I am also on DLA.

My circumstances have not changed since the claim.

What could this be about?

Theres a so called direct line on the letter but Ive been calling all day and it's constantly engaged.

The interview is not for over a month. I'm already in a complete state and I don't know how to cope. My mental health problems have incapacitated me and I use the benefit payments for psychotherapy and for keeping a roof over my head (paying my rent). I am terrified because the letter says something about they might suspend my benefit. If they did such a thing WHEN would it happen? Would it be without warning? How would I afford to eat and pay my rent?

I called the DLA people and they have no idea what I am talking about. I called ESA and they also had no idea what I am talking about and said, "your claim is live and there is no end date."

I'm sure others will be along in due course who can explain things better than I. I wouldn't worry too much at all. It's only Compliance not Fraud Investigators! I may be slightly incorrect, but I believe compliance aren't just about checking up on people to ensure they're not being naughty, they can also advise on anything you should be claiming but aren't. I also have the impression that they can also call on a completely random sample of people, so there more than likely isn't anything to worry about at all....

• Confused 1

The compliance team (from what I remember) choose claims at random to check everything is correct with the claim. It is nothing at all to worry about - a computer just picked your national insurance number. Just take everything relevant with you to the interview and everything will be fine. They'll take photocopies of your documents, go through your claim details and that's all. If you gave all the correct info when you claimed about ID, income and savings etc, and have updated them about changes of circumstances, then everything just continues as normal.

The only reason they'd suspend your benefit is if you didn't take part in the interview, or if during the interview they found out you'd been less than honest about something like savings or your bankstatements showed undeclared income, or something like that.

So don't worry.

• Haha 1

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Its sounds like a standard complience interview, they have asked you for proof of identification and proof of address.

These are common interviews, sometimes its a visit at home and somtimes a viist at the Jobcentre.

You have to attend or show good reason why you cant, if not they can and will suspend the benefit.

You may even be entitled to more benefit, you mention DLA, so if you are not in receipt of SDP, you may be entitled to that.

Dont worry, its standard pracitice, a benefit check and all should be ok......

thanks for your replies. All they have asked me to take along is a passport or driving license and one utility bill, one rent agreement and one bank statement, all showing my current name and address

Please don't be worrying if you are genuine whats the problem I too received that letter from the compliance officer telling me to go to my job centre tomorrow so I had no warning nothing I am not worrying at all because I am genuine I've passed my medical first time round, I will provide them with any document they ask for bank statement the lot and my time is very short as I've only received the letter this afternoon and my interview is tomorrow 9.30am my main problem is to find the necessary documents on time.

So hope all goes well for you.

Hi Mikey, the letter definitely does not have "a doubt has arisen" or anything to that effect on it. What it says exactly is "We need to ensure your payments are correct."

I managed to speak to someone in the Compliance Office and they said it is just a benefits check up and I will be asked to sign a statement confirming my circumstances haven't changed. I suppose they are telling the truth?

If the letter starts, a doubt has arisen about your claim to benefit then there may be a problem, if not you will be ok

MY letter start like this:

We need to see you in order to discuss the benefit we are currently paying you.

We need to ensure your payments are correct and it is essential that you attend this interview etc, etc.

That could be either way alas! there isn't much I can do but attend and my interview is tomorrow first thing in the morning so no time for panicking though I suffer from panic attacks. I've had to ring them up because two documents they wanted I don't have bank statement with letter head take 5 working days and council agreement letter which I don't have i've been in my flat for 27 years my old tenancy agreement is no good anyway, they've accepted what I won't bring the lady sound polite enough but all should be reveal tomorrow, such as life.

:|

thanks for your replies. All they have asked me to take along is a passport or driving license and one utility bill, one rent agreement and one bank statement, all showing my current name and address

Me too they've ask exactly the same thing but bank statement and rent agreement I don't have which i've told them over the phone as my interview is tomorrow i've only received the letter this afternoon, the lady is ok with it besides not much she can do one cannot work miracle because the dwp say jump!

standard interview then, so no need to worry, if you only got the one account take a mini balance statement out of the wall,

if they want more then you can supply,

if you bank with Santander like myself then ten days for a statement so dont worry, its common :)

you will be fine

• Confused 1

How do you know it could be either way? It seems when they say "a query has arisen" that is when something is up. The wording of your letter (and mine) suggests it actually is just a benefits review. Unless the person in Compliance I asked about it on the phone was blatantly lying to me, then it is just a benefits review.

Anyway Helen, I wish you the very best of luck tomorrow. I am sure it will be fine. Please come back to us on here to confirm that you did OK. Hugs

That could be either way alas!

:|

How do you know it could be either way? It seems when they say "a query has arisen" that is when something is up. The wording of your letter (and mine) suggests it actually is just a benefits review. Unless the person in Compliance I asked about it on the phone was blatantly lying to me, then it is just a benefits review.

Anyway Helen, I wish you the very best of luck tomorrow. I am sure it will be fine. Please come back to us on here to confirm that you did OK. Hugs

Thanks BrandNew, I mentioned it could be either way because one cannot trust the DWP you never know what's up their sleeves that was just my own way of thinking because I personally don't trust nor have confidence in them the way they treat vulnerable sick people is terrible.:mad2:

I've been to my interview it was a bit confusing I was there for less than 10 mins, the Compliance Officer said I cannot say a word to you unless you show me your passport that was very new to me I've never been told to show ID before I even sat down on the chair .

Questions I was asked:

What type of benefits whether lone parent or on ill health

Whether I receive DLA, or any other benefits

Done any jobs or voluntary work whilst on benefits

Any courses I've under taken

Whether I've been on Holiday, the holiday was that you can be away for 28 days you'll still receive your benefits a day after your benefits will ended then you'll have to re-apply

About who live with me

How many bedrooms

Who else apart from my dependent child live with me, told her my friend she is homeless and living at my place she ask a bit more about her and what benefits she gets, she only get IB that's it and what council she is with the Compliance Office gave me a number for my friend to claim DLA and for me to claim Carer Allowance as I take care of my friend she suffers from mental illness and then she said that's it all done now the interview ended.

My friend and I both have no intentions of opening up a can of worms we both intended to make do without those benefits it's not worthy to suffer more than what we are already suffer mentally and physically. All I want in this world is my health back and get back to work as soon as possible that would be great.

For me I can't make heads or tails with that interview I feel it was a waste of time to go all the way have a panic attack only to be there for less than 10 mins but I suppose it's worthy for the DWP. I shall wait and see if any letter arrive in the very near future what ever happen happens not much one can do about it!

I too wish you best of luck with the interview as your letter is very similar to mine there isn't much to worry at all it was very basic questions.

Oh! by the way the bank statement need to be in full with the bank logo on it well at least that's what they've asked me, I know someone mentioned about the little print out they might not want that and also council agreement 'new name for it used to be called Tenancy Agreement' which I didn't have in hand my old tenancy agreement I haven't a clue where it is as it's been 27 years I've been in my flat besides the tenancy agreement has changed since. I was asked again for that today told her I shall get in touch with my council.

Hugs :-)

Does your friend give your address for her benefits? Did the DWP know she was at your address?

ID before the interview has to be given, they know you name address, etc but not what you look like so they have to be sure they are talking to the correct person.

They were trying to help you, you and your friend may be entitled to more benefits but it is up to you if you take the advice.

The bank statement has to have the branch logo on they need to check its correct.

Sounds like you did ok, glad it went well for you