Faulty Parts supplied and fitted?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well,

My tumble dryer decided not to dry clothes any more Monday passed. Realised it was blowing cold air. I had a repair guy out 4 months ago for same problem and he supplied and fitted new heat stats. So i called the shop and it was the actual guy who replaced the parts, told him what was happening to which he instantly replied it would be the heat stats needing replaced, I said great you only replaced then 4 months ago so i assume you will come out and replace them free of charge. He proceed to inform me of my rights which are none as they do not give any warranty with their parts and told me to call back the next day and speak to the boss and hung up :evil:

So i sent a wee message to a lovely person to clarify that i am not being dumb and logged it with the new CAB service and got a ref no (our TS guys are very active here :wink:)

So little me calls up the boss next day who was very shirty with me and told me I have no right to free replacements etc etc etc.

Was a little shocked at his attitude as used him for years.

Anyhoose, popped a wee recorded delivery letter in the post on Friday 03/08 giving him 10 days to organise the heats stats to be replaced at no cost to me or refund me the £50 i paid.

Wonder what response if any i will get :roll:

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Yes my dear, soga 1982 , also have common law Scotland as well up me sleeve

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi Ida,

If fitting of the 2 replacement thermostats cured the original problem, there may be 2 explanations :-

1. They fitted inferior non-branded stats which are maybe £5 for the two instead of over £10 to £20 for Hotpoint/Creda/etc recommended stats.

2. The stats may have blown due to poor air circulation caused by excess fluff on filter elements. It's really important to keep filters free of fluff to maintain good air flow and avoid over-heating.

You can buy new stats easily from Espares just by identifying the dryer make and model. They are easy to fit if you have a reasonable level of electrical DIY skill but it's important to recognise the two stats each have a different rating, to trigger at slightly different temperatures. So you must replace each stat with the correct individual part in it's right place.

It's also important that you don't touch the back of the stat as it can be easily damaged.

Useful video here - http://www.espares.co.uk/part/tumble-dryers/thermostats/hotpoint/p/1587/808/0/0/1020444/tumble-dryer-thermostat-k.html

If you weren't all the way up there in Fife, I'd sort it for you meself !!

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks Slick,

Plenty ventilation and i am meticulous with filters and fluff.

I have had a response today from the shop - well i tried to make sense of it as its written and has few errors.

They are now querying if the stats are at fault - when i first called i only stated that the dryer was blowing cold air and they guy said it would be the heat stats that need replaced and was proceeding to give me a price for call out and cost of parts.

They go onto to say the company they get their parts from only supply 90 days warranty with their parts so they will not replace them.

Any thoughts my dears?

They go onto to say the company they get their parts from only supply 90 days warranty with their parts so they will not replace them.

I would say that is their problem not yours. Business to business is very different from business to consumer.

Well it deffinatley is the stats - i just checked them and there no continuity through them. And that stats are not 'genuine' ones so look like the cheaper ones that Slick has mentioned.

Been quite lucky that not needed the dryer due to the good weather so waiting on espares getting back to me as they don't have my model listed as will change myself and if the guy does turn up will keep the bad ones and just ask him to leave the new ones as spares -

But am not letting it lie so will be constructing a LBA this weekend if anyone has any templates or quotes for me to use

Ida x

hmm whats a washing line

if they still refuse to do a refit at least get the parts off them, thermostats are ussually easy to fit

so far our dryers around 17 years old

only issues so far is not heating - it had burnt through the wires so i just rewired it

not spinning - somehow a sock had made it through and got stuck in the fan, also blocking the motor

giving out electric shocks - large layer of fluff on inside of bearings

rattling - new bearings

wont mention the fact ive repaired the gas cooker its not really recommended

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Have you thought of hanging your washing on the line Ida :)

Don't you dare swear at me.

:lol:

Dry days are rare albeit been lucky last two weeks and with 2 kids and a big kid its a necessity :-D

Am going to replace them myself but LBA will be sent saying to either supply the stats (and i'll keep as spare but will nto tell this until they appear) or gee me me money back.

hmm whats a washing line

if they still refuse to do a refit at least get the parts off them, thermostats are ussually easy to fit

so far our dryers around 17 years old

only issues so far is not heating - it had burnt through the wires so i just rewired it maybe abit of my creativity

not spinning - somehow a sock had made it through and got stuck in the fan, also blocking the motor can you check as i have about 10 odd socks :-)

giving out electric shocks - large layer of fluff on inside of bearings would be petrified of it at this point

rattling - new bearings everything rattles in this house so finding the source may prove difficult

wont mention the fact ive repaired the gas cooker its not really recommended

Normally I would take a bah at it myself as quite handy andy am i

but at the time due to a mixture of lazyness and lack of time phone for repair

kicking myself about it now

just replaced the brushed on 15 yeard old washing machine - thats the only thing thats has been done to it

rather than SOGA wouldn't it be the supply of goods and services act 1982 that you should argue?

Yes Seq thats what i meant :madgrin:

Had to check a copy of the letter i sent

Hi Ida,

I changed a set of stats today on a Hotpoint machine. Took 20 mins and dryer was heating again. :whoo:

What make machine is yours and what model number.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

its a highly expensive proline tdv60

When my washer dryer only blows cold I just push the little button on top of the thermostat and it works again. It dosn't look like a button just a little stud sticking up but a button is what it is. A lot cheaper than getting a so-called engineer in.

Yes, some stats have a little reset button or a hole you can press to reset.

But this is not the case on all stats and, if they trip out, they need replacing.

Can get cheaper posh ones on another site :razz:

Ooooo ! :-o

Please tell where for next time I need summat. What price for the set of two.

all parts 4 u

they also provide demos on you tube for you fitting

£2 cheaper

No demo needed but thanks for the supplier.

:-D