style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone watching this?

In the Oxford thread, someone mentioned a Security Guard receiving a visit from the Police as he had Handcuffs, and they confiscated them.

Well, on C4 last night, their new "Shoplifters" tv series, a New Look store guard in Brighton also has Cuffs. Cuff's he wears visibly on his belt, and, on camera threatened a suspected shoplifter with being cuffed. So is it now legal to own cuff's and to use them when making an any persons arrest?

I can understand the annoyance of shoplifters, and its causing very real damage, but that does not give someone the right to break a suspected shoplifters civil and legal rights - 2 wrongs do not make a right. I suspect they are not allowed cuffs though, as not even PCSO's have an automatic legal right - only 2 forces allow their PCSO's to carry and use them.

I was quite suprised also, that it appears standard tactic to let the suspect get well down the road first, no stopping immediately outside the store they have robbed!

These were plainclothes "store detectives" as opposed to uniformed security guards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think possession of handcuffs is an offence - but using them, unless suitably trained and authorised, would probably amount to assault.

We only see as much as the programme-makers think makes good tv, but it seemed clear to me that the programme bore out the statistics, which are that something over 99% of shop theft is perpetrated either by staff or professional criminals. The latter certainly seemed to be the ones the police and security staff were after. Not a mention of civil recovery!

I don't think possession of handcuffs is an offence - but using them, unless suitably trained and authorised, would probably amount to assault.

We only see as much as the programme-makers think makes good tv, but it seemed clear to me that the programme bore out the statistics, which are that something over 99% of shop theft is perpetrated either by staff or professional criminals. The latter certainly seemed to be the ones the police and security staff were after. Not a mention of civil recovery!

I was actually surprised at the lack of mention of CR actually, but, then, apart from the 2 New Look guys, everyone else appeared to be working for small local stores. Was quite impressed to see them tracking and stalking the professionals, even when their own store was not under threat too, its that sort of "joined up enforcement" that we need, not Civil Recovery. Especially since it was clear the Courts are levying hefty tariffs and punishments.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was also very surprised by the threat of using handcuffs, especially the rigid type.

I would imagine that this is something that has been snook in under the guise of some other far fetched legislation, I would certainly question why they thought

it necessary to wear cuffs let alone have them in their possession, children of today will believe that all these shopping centre "security guards" wearing hi viz stab vests and faux police fancy dress is the norm!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Cuff's are fully legal it seems, though as a by product of there not actually being a law specifically prohibiting them, than a law allowing them. SIA interpretes "reasonable force to prevent escape" as allowing cuffing.

http://www.get-licensed.co.uk/handcuff-training/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Still very dubious, where will they draw the line? Capture spray? Baton guns? ASP baton? Stun gun?

If I saw any shop security in my local area, wearing cuffs, I would shop elsewhere and lodge a formal complaint to the LA and my MP.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Still very dubious, where will they draw the line? Capture spray? Baton guns? ASP baton? Stun gun?

If I saw any shop security in my local area, wearing cuffs, I would shop elsewhere and lodge a formal complaint to the LA and my MP.

Completely agree. Store security have no special status in the UK over normal members of the public, except a requirement to hold a SIA licence to perform the role, but if you or I were to go out shopping wearing rigid cuffs "in case we need to perform a citizens arrest" we would soon be pulled in by the Police.

It is rather frightening that a certain class of guard has in theory been created, who has the legal authority to both issue fines, AND legally demand your name and address, with the same backing of a Police Officer of Council Enforcement Officer. Not sure if any private security guards have yet been so "Authorised" though - it was one of the last treats New Labour left us.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a very one sided opinion on the use of 'blunkets bobbies' or 'officious members of the public' as I call them.

It just seems that ever so slowly, the country is sneaking in more and more enforcement that none of us have ever agreed too.

And people are allowing it to happen, bringing up their children who believe it to be the norm.

At the hospital where my office is, the security staff wear walty police style stab vests and ninja batbelts with handcuffs, and lots of mysterious pouches of power. Most look as if peeling a banana, were it not embedded in their genes, would present a significant intellectual challenge.

At the hospital where my office is, the security staff wear walty police style stab vests and ninja batbelts with handcuffs, and lots of mysterious pouches of power. Most look as if peeling a banana, were it not embedded in their genes, would present a significant intellectual challenge.

When I was living in Leeds and working via a recruitment agency, I was given a few weeks admin work at St James Hospital. Whilst there, a security guard went completely nuts on a ward, and severely assaulted a patient for no reason. I bet he had not been CRB checked and had he been, a prior history would have emerged, thats not something that just "happens"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At the hospital where my office is, the security staff wear walty police style stab vests and ninja batbelts with handcuffs, and lots of mysterious pouches of power

Ninja batbelts......:lol:

Pouches of power.....:lol:

Brilliant, new terminology to remember, where I go to the gym, the shop security wear the same walt style plod stab vests too, I often ridicule them, as I know most of them, they even have CSO emblazoned on a blue reflective insert on the back of their walt plod stab vests 'Customer Support Officer'!!!